FL-Senate 2024 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:49:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-Senate 2024 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Author Topic: FL-Senate 2024 Megathread  (Read 15874 times)
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2022, 03:25:03 PM »

Who will challenge Rick Scott in 2024?

Given the bloody whitewash Democrats experienced in Florida on Tuesday I bet many Democrats who wanted to challenge Scott are now reconsidering.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 03:35:48 PM »

It's more likely Rick Scott loses a primary than a general at this point, given that many people will be blaming him for the abysmal 2022 results.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 03:39:00 PM »

It was a Neutral cycle not an R cycle in a Midterm
 Yr, so if inflation goes down we can win red states which it will go down not now but by 24

DeSantis and Trump has zero chance to be Prez because it was a neutral cycle meaning we only need CO, wI, VA, MI and PA, and NV or NH
Squinty
United States
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 03:48:53 PM »

Who will challenge Rick Scott in 2024?

Given the bloody whitewash Democrats experienced in Florida on Tuesday I bet many Democrats who wanted to challenge Scott are now reconsidering.
Stephanie Murphy previously expressed interest, though given the wholoping that Demings got I think she's gonna reconsider.

Also, I don't think Scott wins by as much as Rubio did, but it will still be an easy victory for him.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 04:01:57 PM »

It'll probably be a sacrificial lamb, maybe an obscure state legislator, but it won't matter. Scott wins by double digits.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 04:12:52 PM »

It'll probably be a sacrificial lamb, maybe an obscure state legislator, but it won't matter. Scott wins by double digits.

The disastrous results that FL Dems got will likely force several Dem heavy weights to step aside because they know their chances are declining, resulting that the field will be narrow. And Scott has a strong fundraising ability as we've seen in 2018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 04:14:45 PM »

It's more likely Rick Scott loses a primary than a general at this point, given that many people will be blaming him for the abysmal 2022 results.
Who is gonna primary Scott? Don Jr.? I doubt it.
Byron Donalds is running for GOP Leadership Position in the House so I doubt him challenging Scott as well.

Voters ain't going to blame Scott in 2024 of what happened in 2022. Voters have very short term memories.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 05:38:01 PM »

Safe R
TheFonz
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 09:01:37 PM »

Who is gonna primary Scott? Don Jr.? I doubt it.
Byron Donalds is running for GOP Leadership Position in the House so I doubt him challenging Scott as well.

Voters ain't going to blame Scott in 2024 of what happened in 2022. Voters have very short term memories.

Byron Donalds is running for GOP Conference Chair against Stefanik, but it's unlikely he'll be successful. A shame, because he's pretty great and she's genuinely awful. But nevertheless, he would be a formidable primary challenge to Scott (if he even runs again, which is not a sure thing considering his fall from grace) and would be a solid GE candidate and senator.

Ashley Moody might give it a shot if it's an open seat. Nunez is well positioned to run for governor and Moody may see the senate as her best chance for a promotion.

Maria Salazar also seems like an obvious candidate. Why wouldn't she run?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2022, 09:34:46 PM »

Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 10:00:49 PM »

I don't know.  Florida is clearly a right-of-center state, but part of me thinks that 2022 may have just been an extreme outlier:

I actually think, depending on the national environment, we could see a quick reversion to the mean and that Scott may actually be vulnerable.
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 10:12:10 AM »

Stephanie Murphy retired and was planning on running for the senate. She may wait and pick the right environment. She's the most credible candidate we have in Florida right now.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 10:56:45 AM »

Unless Climate Change rapidly accelerates and floods half of the state, safe R
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2022, 01:30:31 PM »

I don't know.  Florida is clearly a right-of-center state, but part of me thinks that 2022 may have just been an extreme outlier:

I actually think, depending on the national environment, we could see a quick reversion to the mean and that Scott may actually be vulnerable.
Even if Scott is vulnerable by 2024 you are severly underestimating the Florida Republican State Party. They pulled off Wins in 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2020 when they had no business doing so. And no 2022 wasn't an outlier. Florida Republicans outnumber Florida Democrats by 305,000 Registered Voters for a reason.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2022, 02:46:29 PM »

I don't know.  Florida is clearly a right-of-center state, but part of me thinks that 2022 may have just been an extreme outlier:

Even if Scott is vulnerable by 2024 you are severly underestimating the Florida Republican State Party. They pulled off Wins in 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2020 when they had no business doing so. And no 2022 wasn't an outlier. Florida Republicans outnumber Florida Democrats by 305,000 Registered Voters for a reason.

I still don't know about this.  Going back to at least 2008 Republicans were hovering pretty consistently at around 50% in statewide races, and this year that jumps to around 60%.  Do you really think the state has changed that drastically in just two years?  Or was DeSantis (a likely presidential nominee) just up against a very weak opponent, and Rubio (whom I have total contempt for, btw) just coasting on being an unthreatening, lazy, do-nothing incumbent Senator?

To be clear, I'm not saying Democrats have a clear path in front of them--Florida really is a right-of-center state.  But Scott (aka Mr. Let's-Sunset-Social-Security-and-Medicare) doesn't strike me as a particularly secure incumbent.  If inflation is under control, and if FL Republicans start pushing for much stricter abortion limits, I really could see someone like Stephanie Murphy taking him down.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2022, 02:48:57 PM »

Charlie should give it one more try! Tongue
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2022, 10:46:05 PM »

I don't know.  Florida is clearly a right-of-center state, but part of me thinks that 2022 may have just been an extreme outlier:

I still don't know about this.  Going back to at least 2008 Republicans were hovering pretty consistently at around 50% in statewide races, and this year that jumps to around 60%.  Do you really think the state has changed that drastically in just two years?  Or was DeSantis (a likely presidential nominee) just up against a very weak opponent, and Rubio (whom I have total contempt for, btw) just coasting on being an unthreatening, lazy, do-nothing incumbent Senator?

To be clear, I'm not saying Democrats have a clear path in front of them--Florida really is a right-of-center state.  But Scott (aka Mr. Let's-Sunset-Social-Security-and-Medicare) doesn't strike me as a particularly secure incumbent.  If inflation is under control, and if FL Republicans start pushing for much stricter abortion limits, I really could see someone like Stephanie Murphy taking him down.
Southern Florida has changed a lot. When Hillary Clinton won Miami-Dade in 2014 Democrats I believe had a 270K Registration Advantage in that County, now that has shrunk to 139K.

Maria Elvira Salazar beat Annette Taddeo by 17 Points and Carlos Gimenez beat his Democratic Opponent by 26 Points.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2022, 02:47:23 AM »

Dude needs to switch parties first.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2022, 03:38:10 AM »

Lol he Lost 20 he won't ever run again
BloJo94
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2022, 11:11:02 AM »

At this point, we might as well just run this guy.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2022, 11:15:12 AM »

At this point, we might as well just run this guy.

Bernie Sanders is up for reelection and he isn't gonna give Phil Scott an Appointment so that Rs can win control of the S noway no chance, no how, Biden already said he is running numerous if he decided not to run he would endorse Newsom or Harris not Bernie with his seat up and the S is divided so Rs can obstruct on Judges again

We can flip FL or TX
BloJo94
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2022, 08:29:41 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2022, 08:40:42 PM »

Republicans, please continue to donate to "give Walker all the support he can get"! You will be funding Rick Scott's re-election campaign in a state Trump won by only 1% in 2016 and 3% in 2020!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2022, 03:16:45 PM »

Stephanie Murphy retired and was planning on running for the senate. She may wait and pick the right environment. She's the most credible candidate we have in Florida right now.

I think Murphy is just done with politics. She retired in a surprise before DeSantis even released a map and most maps had it similar to the old map for her seat.
OriAr
Rookie
Israel

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2022, 10:03:55 PM »

I think Murphy is just done with politics. She retired in a surprise before DeSantis even released a map and most maps had it similar to the old map for her seat.

Rumors are she is considering running for the FL Dem state party chair.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies