MI-SEN 2024 Megathread - Amash in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:57:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-SEN 2024 Megathread - Amash in
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26
Author Topic: MI-SEN 2024 Megathread - Amash in  (Read 28990 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2023, 01:30:21 PM »

Is there any sense of which of the major (potential) candidates are more progressive? I know Slotkin is more moderate and I’ve heard bad things about Stevens, but what about the various state officials?

The most progressive and best shot recruit would probably Dana Nessel, but she doesn’t seem interested

I’m pretty sure she’s made it explicit that she’s not running.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2023, 01:37:26 PM »

Is there any sense of which of the major (potential) candidates are more progressive? I know Slotkin is more moderate and I’ve heard bad things about Stevens, but what about the various state officials?

The most progressive and best shot recruit would probably Dana Nessel, but she doesn’t seem interested

Yea, after her maybe Brenda Lawrence or maybe Stephanie Chang/Laurie Pohutsky? The progressive bench is pretty thin
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2023, 01:42:07 PM »

Yea, after her maybe Brenda Lawrence or maybe Stephanie Chang/Laurie Pohutsky? The progressive bench is pretty thin

Whatever happened to Abdul el-Sayed? Is he still relevant?
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2023, 01:52:16 PM »

Whatever happened to Abdul el-Sayed? Is he still relevant?

Sorta? But he wouldn’t be a great candidate, he mostly has been focusing on the national scene like working as a contributor on CNN
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2023, 04:40:25 PM »

Stevens is a NO

Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2023, 05:18:05 PM »

Stevens is a NO

So should we just go ahead and assume Slotkin will be the nominee?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2023, 05:42:31 PM »

Stevens is a NO

I think so.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2023, 07:49:03 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2023, 10:44:43 PM by Peltola for God Empress »

Stevens is a NO

Pete Buttigieg, Mike Duggan, Abdul El-Sayed, Dan Kildee, Andy Levin, Dana Nessel, Shri Thanader, Gretchen Whitmire and now Haley Steven’s have all passed on it. It’s that’s not a cleared field idk what is.

The only two people who have not ruled themselves out that could potentially give Stolkin a race are Garlin Gilchrist and Brenda Lawrence. Maybe Jocelyn Benson.
JMT

« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2023, 08:56:04 PM »

Yeah I think this is good for Michigan Democrats, it seems like Slotkin will clear the field. Slotkin will likely run for Senate, and Stevens for re-election. And hopefully Andy Levin runs against John James in MI-10 (he should’ve done it last year, but I think he’d have a decent shot in 2024).

The downside of Slotkin running for Senate is obviously that her seat will be vulnerable now. Any thoughts on who may run on the Democratic (and Republican) side in MI-07?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2023, 10:58:30 PM »

Not that I'm complaining, but I'm curious, why do you want your party to lose a swing state Senate seat?
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2023, 11:16:42 PM »

Yeah I think this is good for Michigan Democrats, it seems like Slotkin will clear the field. Slotkin will likely run for Senate, and Stevens for re-election. And hopefully Andy Levin runs against John James in MI-10 (he should’ve done it last year, but I think he’d have a decent shot in 2024).

The downside of Slotkin running for Senate is obviously that her seat will be vulnerable now. Any thoughts on who may run on the Democratic (and Republican) side in MI-07?

It’s tricky cause the entire balance of entire from the state to congress is very narrow. The Michigan Senate is a dem majority by 1.

Sarah Anthony is 40 and has an impressive political resume, she represents Lansing in the senate.

Andy Schor is 47 and Mayor of Lansing, another candidate with an impressive resume.

There’s probably many other highly qualified candidates without public office but those two are, as far as elected officials go, probably the biggest names for the seat
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2023, 12:00:05 PM »

Any talk of Peter Meijer potentially running for this?
BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -2.26

P P P
« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2023, 01:47:16 PM »

Former MI-08 GOP rep Mike Rogers is exploring a run for senate (and also possibly president):

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/michigan-gop-turmoil-leaders-navigate-tricky-trump-terrain-rcna68276
kwabbit

« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2023, 01:55:12 PM »

I believe Meijer has expressed interest in returning to the House or running for this Senate seat, but he'd be nonviable. If he can't win the primary in his very normie-GOP district, then I doubt he'd be successful in a statewide primary. I'd like to see him try though.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2023, 02:32:48 PM »

I believe Meijer has expressed interest in returning to the House or running for this Senate seat, but he'd be nonviable. If he can't win the primary in his very normie-GOP district, then I doubt he'd be successful in a statewide primary. I'd like to see him try though.

He came very close in his House primary and there have been some signs that the GOP electorate has somewhat cooled on Trump since (although the degree is very much disputed) I don't think Mejer would be DOA in either a House or Senate primary. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2023, 02:41:39 PM »

Hasn't Mayor Secretary Pete moved to Michigan? I honestly think that would be a good chance for him, or is that too early and he'd just be seen as shameless carpetbagger? Otherwise, he needs to hope a reelected President Biden assigns him a bigger role in the next presidential term.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2023, 02:45:30 PM »

Hasn't Mayor Secretary Pete moved to Michigan? I honestly think that would be a good chance for him, or is that too early and he'd just be seen as shameless carpetbagger? Otherwise, he needs to hope a reelected President Biden assigns him a bigger role in the next presidential term.

He's already said no.
kwabbit

« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2023, 02:45:56 PM »

He came very close in his House primary and there have been some signs that the GOP electorate has somewhat cooled on Trump since (although the degree is very much disputed) I don't think Mejer would be DOA in either a House or Senate primary. 

Maybe for his House seat, but now that a Dem is the incumbent that district is likely gone. Scholten won by 13 points. I could see Meijer getting 25 or 30% in a Senate primary, but he's just not where the party is. At least in Michigan there's a good stable of electable reps, former reps, or row office holders that could run that would clearly do better than Meijer in a primary.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: February 01, 2023, 04:07:20 PM »

What signs are you refering to? I know trumps election polling dipped after the election but they seem to have rebounded somewhat
BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2023, 12:59:48 PM »

Former MI-03 rep. Peter Meijer and current MI-04 rep Bill Huizenga are contemplating runs for senate.

kwabbit

« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2023, 01:03:41 PM »

What signs are you refering to? I know trumps election polling dipped after the election but they seem to have rebounded somewhat

Trump is slightly up compared to early December but still a lot down from August when Meijer lost. I expect Meijer to run and not be very competitive. He seems to have a big ego, not too out of the norm for a heir, for instance when he went to Afghanistan without receiving permission to play hero. He thinks he can win.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2023, 01:10:46 PM »

It's tilt D anyways
Junior Chimp

« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2023, 01:55:18 PM »

Match Up between former Rep. Peter Meijer or current Rep. Bill Huizenga vs Rep. Elissa Slotkin would start as a Toss Up!
BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2023, 03:21:02 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2023, 03:31:40 PM by BenjiG98 »

Reminder that Huizenga's house seat is only Trump +4 and I'm pretty sure Benson won it in the SoS election (other Dems might have come within a point or two as well). It would be a heavy dem target if Huizenga vacated that for a senate run. He's a titan in West Michigan.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2023, 03:54:27 PM »

Based on vibes and my gut I feel Huizenga would be republicans best chance to flip this seat as he can potentially appeal to suburbanites and the nutjobs (republicans)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies