Heroes on Both Sides-A Star Wars Election/Diplomacy/Strategy Game (Interest/Rules/Discussion Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:10:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Heroes on Both Sides-A Star Wars Election/Diplomacy/Strategy Game (Interest/Rules/Discussion Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Heroes on Both Sides-A Star Wars Election/Diplomacy/Strategy Game (Interest/Rules/Discussion Thread)  (Read 2363 times)
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2022, 08:14:54 PM »
« edited: December 23, 2022, 02:59:32 PM by FalterinArc »

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…

Welcome to Heroes on Both Sides, a Star Wars Election, Diplomacy and Strategy game! The events of this game will revolve around the events leading up to and of the Clone Wars in the Star Wars universe. This game will incorporate elements from several different types of the games played on this board, to reflect the multi-faceted nature of the politics of the Star Wars galaxy. Elections, scheming, treason, espionage, warfare... it's all on the table here. I can promise the mechanics will not be overly complicated, and should be accessible to anyone willing to put the time in to play.

Rules/Suggestions:

1. Because this game is based on the Star Wars universe and events, I will recommend that players have seen at least the first six films. I also recommend the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, as many of the game’s events will be based around the events of that series (It’s also some of the best Star Wars content ever made…. So Tongue). That being said, these are not required to understand the game and any experienced player should be able to get the gist of it pretty quickly. I would be more than happy to answer any lore-related questions or provide resources to people who feel unsure their own knowledge is sufficient. Additionally, for those who have seen the films and/or series, staying in-character will be very important, so you must not use your hindsight of how these events play out to cloud your decisions. I’m going to reserve the right to veto any actions I feel are completely implausible without hindsight.

2. This game will operate on a turn system. At the beginning of each turn, a recap of the events since the end of last turn will be posted, as well as a write-up for each specific player as to what their goals and options are for that turn. The events will sometimes be based on the player’s actions in previous turns, but will also consist of bringing new plotlines into the mix. Players are allowed to act more than once on a turn if an action by another player necessitates their input (e.g; the Chancellor calling a special session of the senate or a request for a ceasefire), but will not be allowed if they are designed to shift strategy at the last second (e.g; ordering a surprise invasion the day before the end of the turn)

3. In addition to the indicated guidelines at the start of each turn, certain players will receive secret information from the GM. Sometimes this will necessitate secret action, completed over PMs, all of which will eventually factor back into the main public storyline. Players are free to communicate with each in character over PM, and are in fact required to do it in certain instances, but obviously no metagaming, powergaming etc.

4. Combat and warfare is a part of life in this galaxy, and will certainly factor into this game heavily. Combat and warfare in this game will be handled through dice rolls, of which probability will be decided by a number of factors. Generally, combat will not be based around specific numbers and minutia, as long as players give a general idea of their strategy and scale of engagements.

5. Some characters and factions will have more importance and relevance to the plot than others, indicated by the tier list, however every character will always have something to do on their turn. Also, if you’re worried about lack of familiarity with a certain character/faction I’ve included links to their Wookieepedia pages at the bottom and will also expand on them more when the game starts.

5. This game will adhere to the current Star Wars Canon. In some places, headcanon may need to be inserted to suit the format of the game, but material from the Legends continuity will not be included.

6. Have fun! Smiley

Playable Characters/Factions Tier 1:
Senator Mee Deechi of the Core Faction: Devout Centrist
Senator Padme Amidala of the Rim Faction: NewYorkExpress
Grandmaster Yoda of the Jedi Council: Orwell
Viceroy Nute Gunray of the Trade Federation: Spiral
Count Dooku of the Confederacy of Independent Systems: Enduro
Chancellor Sheev Palpatine of the Republic: KaiserDave
Speaker Bec Lawise Separatist Senate: Carolyn

Playable Characters/Factions Tier 2:
San Hill of the Banking Clan
Jabba of the Hutt Clan: PSOL
Lom Pyke of the Pyke Syndicate: Gorguf
Duchess Satine Kryze of Mandalore: GoTFan
Bounty Hunter’s Guild (Collective Leadership)

Anyway I’m gauging interest in this kind of game. I’ve put a lot of effort into preparing potential turns and scenarios and I think a really interesting aspect of this could be how different players actions affect the timeline and possibly give us a very different history than that of the saga we know. I also welcome any suggestions people have for this game, I’m not an experienced GM so any help is more than appreciated. I think we can probably get this going as long as we can fill most of the Tier 1 characters/factions. I don't know if we'll get the numbers necessary or not, but if we don't and you're still interested in this concept, I would probably workshop this for another forum. Thanks for reading Smiley!

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Core_Faction
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Rim_Faction
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jedi_High_Council
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Trade_Federation
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Confederacy_of_Independent_Systems
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Galactic_Republic
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/InterGalactic_Banking_Clan
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Hutt_Clan
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Pyke_Syndicate
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/New_Mandalorians

(P.S, The Clone Wars is a long series, and it’s perfectly understandable to not want to watch the whole thing. But if you do want to see a couple episodes that will help give you context for the game, I’ve listed some below)

Season 2, Episode 12: The Mandalore Plot
Season 2, Episode 15: Senate Murders
Season 3, Episode 10: Heroes on Both Sides
Season 3, Episode 11: Pursuit of Peace
Season 6, Episode 5: An Old Friend
Season 6, Episode 6: The Rise of Clovis
Season 6, Episode 7: Crisis at the Heart

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 08:53:28 PM »

Call Jabba
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 09:06:42 PM »

He's all yours.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 09:11:29 PM »

Torn between Dooku and Yoda, but I may go with Dooku so I don't have to struggle with Yoda's speech in character.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 09:19:41 PM »

Torn between Dooku and Yoda, but I may go with Dooku so I don't have to struggle with Yoda's speech in character.
If you're sure you want Dooku, you got him.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 09:28:01 PM »

If you're sure you want Dooku, you got him.

Alright, sure.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 10:30:16 PM »

Given this is the Clone Wars...is Anakin Skywalker available?

I'd love to prevent Darth Vader from happening if I can.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 10:35:43 PM »

The way the game functions, each character will serve as a leader of a faction with political/military influence of some sorts. As Anakin is just a Jedi Padawan at the moment, he isn't available. But alternatively, you could register as Yoda and control the Jedi Council, which would give you control over Jedi operations, including Anakin Skywalker.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 10:39:06 PM »

The way the game functions, each character will serve as a leader of a faction with political/military influence of some sorts. As Anakin is just a Jedi Padawan at the moment, he isn't available. But alternatively, you could register as Yoda and control the Jedi Council, which would give you control over Jedi operations, including Anakin Skywalker.

Darn it. Can't do Yoda. Writing his speech in character would be a nightmare, and that's polite.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 11:34:31 PM »

Darn it. Can't do Yoda. Writing his speech in character would be a nightmare, and that's polite.

That's why I avoided him, lol.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 02:25:39 AM »

This is a great idea and a phenomenal game and I encourage people to play. Falterin has the knowledge and commitment to do this right.

I'll pick a character anon.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2022, 01:13:03 PM »

Grandmaster Yoda, I am. Lead the Jedi in this time of danger I will.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2022, 01:16:12 PM »

Grandmaster Yoda, I am. Lead the Jedi in this time of danger I will.
Approved, you are.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 01:28:38 PM »

Ah, screw it. If no one else has Palpatine I'll take him. Being a mad, cackling, evil Sith Lord will be fun for me.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2022, 02:25:42 PM »

I could also volunteer to take Chancellor Palpatine.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2022, 02:43:58 PM »

Question that both KaiserDave and I both want answered (since we are interested in playing as Palpatine). At this point in the Clone Wars, is Order 66 a thing?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2022, 02:55:13 PM »

Question that both KaiserDave and I both want answered (since we are interested in playing as Palpatine). At this point in the Clone Wars, is Order 66 a thing?
The game will start at the formation of the Separatist Alliance, two years before the onset of The Clone Wars. At this point, the vast majority of the Clone army is still not ready for combat and their existence is still unknown to the Jedi. However the inhibitor chips which allowed Order 66 were implanted at birth and can be activated at any time.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2022, 02:59:34 PM »

The game will start at the formation of the Separatist Alliance, two years before the onset of The Clone Wars. At this point, the vast majority of the Clone army is still not ready for combat and their existence is still unknown to the Jedi. However the inhibitor chips which allowed Order 66 were implanted at birth and can be activated at any time.

Thank you for the info.

As stated before, I would like to play as Palpatine. If KaiserDave would prefer to have him, I'd be interested in Padme Amidala. I know she's not listed, but she's a very important Senator, in addition to being secretly married to Anakin Skywalker...
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2022, 03:14:08 PM »

Thank you for the info.

As stated before, I would like to play as Palpatine. If KaiserDave would prefer to have him, I'd be interested in Padme Amidala. I know she's not listed, but she's a very important Senator, in addition to being secretly married to Anakin Skywalker...

I would also note that Padme is a member of the Core Faction in the Galactic Senate, and would be an option to choose for faction leader during the game.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2022, 03:20:46 PM »

Thank you for the info.

I would also note that Padme is a member of the Core Faction in the Galactic Senate, and would be an option to choose for faction leader during the game.

Very well. My preference is still Palpatine though, but I'd be open to Core Faction (Padme) too.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2022, 03:34:33 PM »

I will take the Core Faction leader
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2022, 03:43:10 PM »

FWIW, Palpatine isn't "really" a member of the Core Faction he was elected to be Chancellor because of being a moderate and from the Mid Rim so he was able to get the support of enough Senators in both the Core, Mid, and Outer Rim factions as a compromise candidate Valorum had been the leader of the Core Faction until his removal. This is established in the Legends Darth Plageius book. As time went on Palpatine did gain the support of much of the Core faction, but that didn't really happen enough to make him it's leader until most of the Separatist worlds left the Republic leading to the Rim faction losing many members.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2022, 04:28:57 PM »

Very well. My preference is still Palpatine though, but I'd be open to Core Faction (Padme) too.

So my thinking is since NYE seems more interested in the character of Padme than the Core Faction specifically, we can perhaps place Padme in the Rim Faction. Her faction has never been explicitly stated in Canon or in Legends, and while I did have some writing plans for Padme within the Core Faction, she can easily be replaced by Mon Mothma. This would also open up new potential political conflicts within the Rim Faction to be resolved in gameplay.

So in this scenario DC would take the Core Faction, NYE would get the Rim Faction with Padme and Dave would get Palpatine. This sound good to everyone?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2022, 04:36:05 PM »

So my thinking is since NYE seems more interested in the character of Padme than the Core Faction specifically, we can perhaps place Padme in the Rim Faction. Her faction has never been explicitly stated in Canon or in Legends, and while I did have some writing plans for Padme within the Core Faction, she can easily be replaced by Mon Mothma. This would also open up new potential political conflicts within the Rim Faction to be resolved in gameplay.

So in this scenario DC would take the Core Faction, NYE would get the Rim Faction with Padme and Dave would get Palpatine. This sound good to everyone?

That would be acceptable to me.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2022, 05:45:06 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2022, 05:49:00 PM by GoTfan »

I'll take the Rim Faction.

Also, I am extremely pleased to find people who agree with that The Clone Wars has some of the best storylines in the entire Star Wars universe.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies