YouGov/Yahoo national: DeSantis +7 over Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:37:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election
  2024 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  YouGov/Yahoo national: DeSantis +7 over Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: YouGov/Yahoo national: DeSantis +7 over Trump  (Read 1009 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2022, 10:09:30 AM »

https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/11/11/how-americans-feel-about-prospect-divided-congress

1500 adults, conducted November 9-11.

I think the midterm results may well have been the final tipping point.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 04:10:30 PM »

I am hoping Trump continues to go down in the polls. Jeb started out as the favorite for 2016 two years before the primaries and then fell to last place before Iowa even started.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 05:53:59 PM »

I hope this lasts and isn’t just a temporary reaction to the midterms.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 10:52:36 AM »

If Trump looks weak then who else jumps in for 2024? My hot take is that the chances of a candidate who is neither Trump nor DeSantis is being underrated right now.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 10:57:56 AM »

If Trump looks weak then who else jumps in for 2024? My hot take is that the chances of a candidate who is neither Trump nor DeSantis is being underrated right now.

Agreed. I'm still not convinced that DeSantis isn't another Scott Walker.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 12:39:05 PM »

Who?

Lets consider Governors.

Hogan, Sununu, and DeWine will each do a Kasich get 3-4% and drop out.

Sununu couldn't even rig the N.H. primaries for his favourite candidates.
DeWine had trouble winning his own primary even unopposed.
Hogan is so hated by Republicans he was chased out.

Lombardo would win Nevada, but he doesn't have the national reputation to win IA or NH.

DeSantis has trouble with the calendar, but if Cruz got Iowa so can he, at which point NH and NV will be the key.

Now lets consider Senators.

Is there any well known Senator who did't crash and burn in the 2016 primaries ?

McConnell ? He would even lose Kentucky in a primary.
Scott ? There is no room for two candidates from Florida.
Vance ? Not after that dreadfull performance.

All well known GOP Senators are too old or known losers on a national level.

On top of that 2024 is now considered not winnable for Republicans at the present, so no heavyweights will run until the political climate changes against Democrats.

We will know by Christmas 2023.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 02:22:48 PM »

Just because politicians will likely crash and burn in no way means they won’t run. Did you miss the last few presidential primaries?
Independents for George Santos
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 02:32:24 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2022, 02:43:00 PM by Blue Grit »

Normally I'd be bullish on DeSantis (if only out of hope for the end of Trump) but polls at this time in 2014 showed Jeb and Romney exchanging leads. A lot can happen in a year with two 800-pound Gorillas going at it.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 02:46:58 PM »

I hope this lasts and isn’t just a temporary reaction to the midterms.

It all depends on what the conservative propaganda machine decides to do. A lot of people made their careers off of publicly worshipping Trump and his image. They may not be willing to risk changing course.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2022, 07:31:14 PM »

I am going to watch Watters, Tucker, Hannity and Ingram tomorrow to see if anything has changed.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 04:38:40 AM »

It really comes down to the Fox News primary, which I don’t think will want to risk giving up their share of Trumpists if he throws his weight behind OAN or whatever garbage comes up. Anyway, still Likely Trump. This is a high water point for DeSantis in the immediate aftermath of Tuesday.
TimeUnit2027
Rookie
British Indian Ocean Territory

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 11:46:34 AM »

Who?

Lets consider Governors.

Hogan, Sununu, and DeWine will each do a Kasich get 3-4% and drop out.

Sununu couldn't even rig the N.H. primaries for his favourite candidates.
DeWine had trouble winning his own primary even unopposed.
Hogan is so hated by Republicans he was chased out.

Lombardo would win Nevada, but he doesn't have the national reputation to win IA or NH.

DeSantis has trouble with the calendar, but if Cruz got Iowa so can he, at which point NH and NV will be the key.

Now lets consider Senators.

Is there any well known Senator who did't crash and burn in the 2016 primaries ?

McConnell ? He would even lose Kentucky in a primary.
Scott ? There is no room for two candidates from Florida.
Vance ? Not after that dreadfull performance.

All well known GOP Senators are too old or known losers on a national level.

On top of that 2024 is now considered not winnable for Republicans at the present, so no heavyweights will run until the political climate changes against Democrats.

We will know by Christmas 2023.
We could always try Corey Stapleton. Very strong candidate(irony)
kwabbit

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 02:57:18 PM »

It really comes down to the Fox News primary, which I don’t think will want to risk giving up their share of Trumpists if he throws his weight behind OAN or whatever garbage comes up. Anyway, still Likely Trump. This is a high water point for DeSantis in the immediate aftermath of Tuesday.

The base is so loyal to Trump because of Fox News. Trump started out as divisive within the party. It was only after years of right wing media promoting fierce loyalty to Trump that he gained his fanatical support. Trump didn’t become very popular within the party until 2018; he had mediocre approval ratings within the party during the 2016 campaign and during his presidency until the midterm campaign started.

I doubt Trump would be able to seriously damage Fox viewership. It’s difficult to start a new network. I am also confident in the ability of Fox to hand DeSantis the nomination if they really want to. Whether Trump takes the party down with him is another question. Partisans are much more dependent on partisan media than they were in 2016. The power of Fox in the party is increased and if they are unified behind DeSantis (unlike in 2016 when the non-Trump options were split five ways) they would be able to sway a majority of the party. They have already elevated DeSantis to a position near Trump quickly.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2022, 05:34:03 PM »

The base is so loyal to Trump because of Fox News. Trump started out as divisive within the party. It was only after years of right wing media promoting fierce loyalty to Trump that he gained his fanatical support. Trump didn’t become very popular within the party until 2018; he had mediocre approval ratings within the party during the 2016 campaign and during his presidency until the midterm campaign started.

I doubt Trump would be able to seriously damage Fox viewership. It’s difficult to start a new network. I am also confident in the ability of Fox to hand DeSantis the nomination if they really want to. Whether Trump takes the party down with him is another question. Partisans are much more dependent on partisan media than they were in 2016. The power of Fox in the party is increased and if they are unified behind DeSantis (unlike in 2016 when the non-Trump options were split five ways) they would be able to sway a majority of the party. They have already elevated DeSantis to a position near Trump quickly.

Republican voters love Trump because he is the only well known figure that publicly fights Democrats.

Republican voters always hate those who don't (Congressional Republican Leaders, Liberal Repubican Governors).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2022, 12:47:12 AM »

Republican voters love Trump because he is the only well known figure that publicly fights Democrats.

Republican voters always hate those who don't (Congressional Republican Leaders, Liberal Repubican Governors).

They also love people who deliver results.

There was a time, when Bush was adored by the GOP base, and lost it once the party started to collapse under his leadership.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies