Six Nations thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:48:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Six Nations thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Six Nations thread  (Read 4640 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: February 12, 2007, 07:44:02 AM »

Could be worse, could be worse. You could be Irish (losing like that sucks, it really does. My deepest symphathies to ye all).

Not referring to anyone in particular by that post, no? Wink

Somehow I'm not surprised by what happened today - the whole "We're going to win the Grand Slam" thing was undoubtely going to deflate in the least glorious way possible.

No, the least glorious way possible would've been to solidly beat Wales and France, and then lose to England in Croke Park (by a scoreline of say 19-16 Wink) with Wikinson constantly kicking between the posts as well as, or better, than the many Gaelic footballers who play there year round.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 04:50:21 PM »

Well, there's a game that will last long in the list of great Irish sporting moments, and indeed Irish history generally with God Save The Queen being played in Croke Park.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 05:23:29 PM »

Well, there's a game that will last long in the list of great Irish sporting moments, and indeed Irish history generally with God Save The Queen being played in Croke Park.

Indeed. Though I really get understand all the fuss, It wasn't like the English Rugby team were going to charge into Croke Park armed with Machine Guns and fire randomly into the air?

That reminds me of the text message doing the rounds in the last few days, about how the Irish team would have two changes from the last outing in Croke Park, O'Driscoll and Stringer, but that the English side would be radically different from their last visit, having to make do without armoured cars and machine guns. (Though based on the performance they may have needed such things to win today.)

Yeah, in fairness, there was never much chance of the English team or fans doing anything silly. (Though had something happened along the lines of a couple of years ago with them standing on the wrong side and refusing to move, who knows what could've happened.) There was though, a not inconceivable chance that there may have been an element of disrespectfullness when the English anthem was played. Thankfully, this didn't happen. (The traditional rugby going crowd being, on the whole, quite different from the traditional GAA crowd, helped in this regard.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies