AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:16:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT)  (Read 48254 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: November 23, 2022, 10:54:50 AM »

I really doubt Sinema is a fundraiser for other Democrats given she didn’t campaign for anyone else in Arizona this cycle.

She isn’t, what TimTurner asserted about her fundraising is both factually incorrect.  By which I mean that there is objectively no basis in reality for the claim that Sinema has been some sort of fundraising rockstar for the DSCC.  She went around raising money for *herself* from hyper-partisan Republican mega-donors like Ken Langone and the Koch Brothers at secret closed door events, but the DSCC never saw a cent of that (nor would I want them to be receiving a cut of her bribe to help kill critical pieces legislation that would transform America for the better).  

I suppose it shouldn’t be surprising that Sinema’s re-election is being funded in no small part by Republican mega-donors given that we’re talking about someone who explicitly told Susan Collins, Rob Portman, and John Thune in early 2021 (March 2021 IIRC) that literally the only reason she wasn’t switching parties to flip control of the Senate back to the Republicans was that she didn’t think it was possible for an openly bisexual non-theist to win a Republican primary in Arizona.

For that matter, TimTurner’s claim about Schumer unflinchingly supporting Sinema isn’t true either.  I couldn’t find anything recent about Schumer allegedly supporting her re-election (although I wouldn’t be surprised if he nominally does so in the most apathetic way possible like how he nominally supported Hillary in 2008 while working tirelessly behind the scenes to get Obama to run).    

I do know that when asked at one point whether he would explicitly commit to supporting Sinema if she faced a primary challenge, all Schumer would say is “the DSCC is will always work to re-elect our incumbents” (or words to that effect).  He made a point of refusing to say “I support Senator Sinema’s re-election” when directly asked to do so.  That’s basically Caucus Leader speak for “b/c of my position I can’t publicly endorse the primary challenger to a member of my caucus, but I hope the primary challenge is successful and won’t be lifting a finger to help said incumbent since I want them to lose their primary.”

Do you have a citation for the most fascinating bolded bit (which is gossip that I have not been exposed to before)?  Thanks.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 04:03:58 PM »

I really doubt Sinema is a fundraiser for other Democrats given she didn’t campaign for anyone else in Arizona this cycle.

She isn’t, what TimTurner asserted about her fundraising is both factually incorrect.  By which I mean that there is objectively no basis in reality for the claim that Sinema has been some sort of fundraising rockstar for the DSCC.  She went around raising money for *herself* from hyper-partisan Republican mega-donors like Ken Langone and the Koch Brothers at secret closed door events, but the DSCC never saw a cent of that (nor would I want them to be receiving a cut of her bribe to help kill critical pieces legislation that would transform America for the better).  

I suppose it shouldn’t be surprising that Sinema’s re-election is being funded in no small part by Republican mega-donors given that we’re talking about someone who explicitly told Susan Collins, Rob Portman, and John Thune in early 2021 (March 2021 IIRC) that literally the only reason she wasn’t switching parties to flip control of the Senate back to the Republicans was that she didn’t think it was possible for an openly bisexual non-theist to win a Republican primary in Arizona.

For that matter, TimTurner’s claim about Schumer unflinchingly supporting Sinema isn’t true either.  I couldn’t find anything recent about Schumer allegedly supporting her re-election (although I wouldn’t be surprised if he nominally does so in the most apathetic way possible like how he nominally supported Hillary in 2008 while working tirelessly behind the scenes to get Obama to run).    

I do know that when asked at one point whether he would explicitly commit to supporting Sinema if she faced a primary challenge, all Schumer would say is “the DSCC is will always work to re-elect our incumbents” (or words to that effect).  He made a point of refusing to say “I support Senator Sinema’s re-election” when directly asked to do so.  That’s basically Caucus Leader speak for “b/c of my position I can’t publicly endorse the primary challenger to a member of my caucus, but I hope the primary challenge is successful and won’t be lifting a finger to help said incumbent since I want them to lose their primary.”

Do you have a citation for the most fascinating bolded bit (which is gossip that I have not been exposed to before)?  Thanks.

I read it in This Will Not Pass (technically, heard it since I was listening to the audiobook).

You sure you didn't her it from Steve Bannon at a bar?  Devil

https://www.newsweek.com/kyrsten-sinema-switch-parties-after-2024-election-bannon-predicts-1747624
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 01:35:07 PM »

Again, I don't see why Sinema would do this if she has given up the idea of running for re-election. She sounds in her interview with Tapper that she dreams of creating a viable third party movement in AZ, ala ME would be the best example. Odds are, that dream is unrealistic, but it depends on who the players are.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 08:15:33 AM »

Did Stanton really just casually reveal that his internal polling was looking into primarying her

That's hilarious

That was why he released the poll. He does not want Gallego to get all the attention.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 12:52:14 PM »

This doomer article about the bleak prospects of Senate Dems article in 2024 posits in a conclusory manner that the Pubs have the inside lane to win the AZ seat if Sinema runs as an independent. Why would anyone who is other than in equipoise between the Dem and Pub nominees vote for her unless she had a chance to win? Are people who embrace that analysis just clueless or are they trolls, or am I missing something?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/14/opinion/kyrsten-sinema-arizona.html
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 09:20:29 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2023, 03:13:08 PM by Torie »

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/03/23/sinema-trashes-dems-gop-00088461

That woman does seem to have a loose screw or two. The word that comes to mind is narcissist, a condition that I have been told is incurable.

I am not sure how effective she will be as a lobbyist however, when she is no longer needed. So one wonders what her plan will be to maintain her lavish lifestyle. That seems to be job one. Her sartorial choices remind me of what I see from time to time when Dan watches fashion shows. The outfits are not what one typically sees on the street or anywhere else for that matter, other than the runways on which the models strut.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies