SC-03: Trump endorses Mark Burns, who wants to bring back HUAC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:14:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SC-03: Trump endorses Mark Burns, who wants to bring back HUAC
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC-03: Trump endorses Mark Burns, who wants to bring back HUAC  (Read 754 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2024, 10:03:34 PM »

Trump endorses Burns.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 10:32:04 PM »

I didn’t realize Burns was even in the race until today.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 08:20:45 AM »

This. That said, congratulations to South Carolina's next senator.
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 10:08:46 AM »

Do you have a source on hand for the title claim? The vast majority of non-Weatherboys on Talk Elections have no idea who Mark Burns is, never mind what he believes.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 10:20:19 AM »

Do you have a source on hand for the title claim? The vast majority of non-Weatherboys on Talk Elections have no idea who Mark Burns is, never mind what he believes.
https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/maddowblog/trumps-endorsement-mark-burns-gop-candidacy-matters-rcna146016

I'm typing this from a potato, so I'm not going to quote the article, but it should be in there.
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 10:34:17 AM »

Thanks, but no. Where did Burns say he "wants to bring back HUAC?"
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2024, 10:43:51 AM »

Oh! Good question. I'm more concerned about Burns's remarks in 2022 about how the death penalty, for treason, is being considered for trans people. I am pro-life and take no pleasure in his future election. I imagine OP, being ERM64man, took that to its natural conclusion and assumed he'd bring back HUAC to charge trans people with treason, though Burns has never actually said that.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2024, 10:58:43 AM »

I have a feeling Burns is another Mo Brooks
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2024, 11:48:31 AM »

Burns will never be a senator.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2024, 02:24:27 PM »

Burns will never be a senator.

Just like Mo Brooks.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2024, 02:47:03 PM »

It’s worth noting that this is the whitest seat in the state and the most Republican areas are also the most white. I’m not sure how a black man from the “city” fairs against local pols.

Trumps endorsement wasn’t enough for Vernon Jones in GA-10 which has a pretty similar makeup to SC-03. If anything GA-10 would’ve been more favorable to Jones then this one is to Burns
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 06:52:12 PM »

GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 10:27:18 PM »

It’s worth noting that this is the whitest seat in the state and the most Republican areas are also the most white. I’m not sure how a black man from the “city” fairs against local pols.

Trumps endorsement wasn’t enough for Vernon Jones in GA-10 which has a pretty similar makeup to SC-03. If anything GA-10 would’ve been more favorable to Jones then this one is to Burns

Well, either way the main Rs suck s**t. The other one running that has any likely chance is a state senator who sponsored the bill to make abortion doctors eligible for the death penalty.

In the end, neither will be better than Duncan, though not much worse either. I hate my district.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 10:30:40 PM »

Well, either way the main Rs suck s**t. The other one running that has any likely chance is a state senator who sponsored the bill to make abortion doctors eligible for the death penalty.

In the end, neither will be better than Duncan, though not much worse either. I hate my district.

There are like three main Republicans aside from Burns in SC-03: State Rep. Stewart Jones, veteran Sheri Biggs, and former Graham aide Kevin Bishop. I’d bet on a GA-10 redux where Burns and one of the others advance to the runoff, then Burns loses.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 10:35:53 PM »

There are like three main Republicans aside from Burns in SC-03: State Rep. Stewart Jones, veteran Sheri Biggs, and former Graham aide Kevin Bishop. I’d bet on a GA-10 redux where Burns and one of the others advance to the runoff, then Burns loses.

Never heard of Biggs or Bishop, hence why I'm kinda writing them off. I live in this district.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2024, 11:03:19 PM »

Kinda sucks how SC-03 is the one South Carolina seat that's truly uber-safe R under any circumstances; Trump won the current config by 37.5%; every other seat is less than Trump + 20. Dems probably wouldn't win SC-04 but they could still could be an interesting race.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2024, 11:15:22 PM »

Kinda sucks how SC-03 is the one South Carolina seat that's truly uber-safe R under any circumstances; Trump won the current config by 37.5%; every other seat is less than Trump + 20. Dems probably wouldn't win SC-04 but they could still could be an interesting race.

I've theorycrafted a scenario where I somehow win in a 2027 special election, but it's pretty outlandishly unrealistic, requiring a moderate conservative split and the R candidate to be a local crazy who has an absolute treasure trove of statements that are radical even for the area, talking about the civil rights movement being "communistic" etc.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2024, 06:07:32 AM »

I've theorycrafted a scenario where I somehow win in a 2027 special election, but it's pretty outlandishly unrealistic, requiring a moderate conservative split and the R candidate to be a local crazy who has an absolute treasure trove of statements that are radical even for the area, talking about the civil rights movement being "communistic" etc.

Yeah, that candidate would likely be too busy serving as Lt Gov to offer a serious challenge.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2024, 09:44:47 PM »

It appears this title is a lie. I will be withholding my support until he actually endorses HUAC.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2024, 09:46:13 PM »

Bringing back HUAC would be a bad thing, right? Because Congress is not supposed to investigate things, right? Only the executive branch is supposed to investigate, correct? Why does Congress keep on repeatedly usurping the executive branch's power to investigate? Like the January 6th committee?
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2024, 12:27:25 PM »

Bringing back HUAC would be a bad thing, right? Because Congress is not supposed to investigate things, right? Only the executive branch is supposed to investigate, correct? Why does Congress keep on repeatedly usurping the executive branch's power to investigate? Like the January 6th committee?
   Roll Eyes
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2024, 04:58:38 PM »

*sigh* I rly dk where to even start with you, but not investigative power is not reserved for the executive branch lol. Have you heard of oversight? It is actually one of Congress’ primary responsibilities lol.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies