Idea: Hold a three person primary for each party's VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:41:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Idea: Hold a three person primary for each party's VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Idea: Hold a three person primary for each party's VP  (Read 6801 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2021, 04:52:12 PM »

Essentially, each nominee turns in a shortlist, and their party voters vote. This would likely strengthen every party, as it would be harder for someone corrupt or who is a bad candidate to become a major presidential nominee.
kwabbit

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 11:15:18 PM »

This is a fun idea and I think a good one overall, but the practicality of it would be difficult. Sending 45 million ballots for the Dems/35 Million for the GOP would be extremely costly and hard to organize. Who would administer the election?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 11:25:02 AM »

I mean, nominees typically do take into account the popularity of a potential VP with the party base. But they also need to consider the general electorate and how well they work together as President and Vice President.

I read John Kerry's autobiography. When choosing a VP, he was told by staff he had to decide either a Mr. August or Mr. October.

Mr. August would be someone Democrats would love and want to see at the convention. Mr. October would be someone who would help win the general election and appeal to swing state voters. The perfect VP would be both.

Kerry's advice to Obama in 2008? Pick a Mr. January. Someone who would make the best possible Vice President.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 11:32:13 AM »

There shouldn't be a set number, but I agree that VP's and presidents should run separately at the least during the primaries. That way people can vote for both the bottom and top of the ticket.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 08:34:18 AM »

This is a fun idea and I think a good one overall, but the practicality of it would be difficult. Sending 45 million ballots for the Dems/35 Million for the GOP would be extremely costly and hard to organize. Who would administer the election?

They could be elected in an open-convention ballot.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 10:06:16 AM »

I don't think it makes sense for the deputy to have a separate mandate from the party leader, and I haven't seen a benefit from doing this in parliamentary systems.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 06:37:05 PM »

Mr. August would be someone Democrats would love and want to see at the convention. Mr. October would be someone who would help win the general election and appeal to swing state voters. The perfect VP would be both.

Ironically, Jon Edwards was neither.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 08:25:12 PM »

Ironically, Jon Edwards was neither.
John Kerry has said multiple times he regrets picking Edwards
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies