Racial Politics In Great Britain (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:41:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Racial Politics In Great Britain (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Racial Politics In Great Britain  (Read 6345 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: July 05, 2004, 05:48:22 AM »

I know little of British politics, so this is something I've always wondered. In the US, Blacks are overwhelmingly Democratic, Hispanics tend to be Demoratic, Asians lean Democratic etc.

Is it the same in the UK? Do blacks lean labour on average? Or is race a non-issue in terms of voting in the UK?

Blacks usually vote solidly Labour
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 08:23:31 AM »

I know little of British politics, so this is something I've always wondered. In the US, Blacks are overwhelmingly Democratic, Hispanics tend to be Demoratic, Asians lean Democratic etc.

Is it the same in the UK? Do blacks lean labour on average? Or is race a non-issue in terms of voting in the UK?

Blacks usually vote solidly Labour

How many blacks actually live in England? I can't imagine it being a very high number.

IIRC it's about 2-4% of the total population. It's much, much higher in some areas of course (ie: Brixton)
The largest ethnic minority is Asian (ie: from Indian Subcontinent). About 7% IIRC.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 08:48:36 AM »

Thanks. Smiley Didn't think it was all that high. Not much of a impact on elections, huh?

It varies. In some seats with large ethnic minority populations (Bradford West for example) racial and sectarian factors dominate politics (the Labour M.P is a Sikh. Muslims do not vote for Sikhs. So the Tories stand a Muslim every election).
Overall Asians have a bigger impact than Blacks
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 11:46:41 AM »

Thanks. Smiley Didn't think it was all that high. Not much of a impact on elections, huh?

It varies. In some seats with large ethnic minority populations (Bradford West for example) racial and sectarian factors dominate politics (the Labour M.P is a Sikh. Muslims do not vote for Sikhs. So the Tories stand a Muslim every election).
Overall Asians have a bigger impact than Blacks

Do blacks or asians hold any seats?

I think it's about 15-30 (out of over 650). Not sure about the exact numbers though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 01:00:18 PM »

(and in Windsor he will almost certainly get elected if he’s got “Conservative” next to his name Cheesy ). He would also be the first Black Conservative MP.

Remember what happend in Cheltenham in 1992?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 08:08:52 AM »

Adam Afriyie would also be the first Black Conservative MP.
What about Sebastian Coe?

I thought he was white
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 08:26:36 AM »

It's strange...I could swear that I'd read years ago he was the first coloured Tory MP. But judging from what photos Google throws up, you're obviously right.
So, I retract my objection.

Actually Afriyie isn't a sure winner... remember what happend in Cheltenham in 1992?  
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 08:37:24 AM »

No.
That's an LD constituency, is all I know.
But let me guess: The Tories put up a Black or Asian candidate and lost in a seat considered safe?

Yep.
The losing Tory is now a Peer (Lord Taylor of... can't remember exactly... damn Peerage names...)
What makes Afriyie's situation worse is that Windsor is right next to the LibDems no.1 South East target (Maidenhead)... and that they control the local council.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That'ed be Bradford West... the Labour M.P is a Sikh, so naturally the Tories run a Muslim every election...
I think the BNP has a few councillers in the constituancy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 09:52:07 AM »

Isn't there a black cabinet member? I seem to recall one being appointed by Blair, the first black cabinet minister ever.

Paul Boeteng (sp?)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 12:02:10 PM »

First Nations go either Liberal or NDP
Chinese go Liberal
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 04:05:35 PM »

First Nations go either Liberal or NDP
Chinese go Liberal

Not in Calgary, I reckon... I'd figure South Asians in Canada lean liberal, but don't seem to be a Vote bank the Libs could count on...the same is true for the Dems in the US, but o/c the South Asian percentage of the vote is way higher in Canada, so it  matters there.

Does Calgary count? Cheesy
South Asians lean liberal, but are prone to toryward swings (see some of the Ontario provincial results in the '90's)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 07:39:22 AM »

I've never met a brit who was black. I must admit the British accent would throw me off for sure. Smiley
A first or second generation Black Brit is more likely to have a Jamaican or West African accent than a British one.

Jamaican accents are cool Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies