Racial Politics In Great Britain (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:33:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Racial Politics In Great Britain (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Racial Politics In Great Britain  (Read 6343 times)
English

« on: July 09, 2004, 10:44:23 AM »

I know little of British politics, so this is something I've always wondered. In the US, Blacks are overwhelmingly Democratic, Hispanics tend to be Demoratic, Asians lean Democratic etc.

Is it the same in the UK? Do blacks lean labour on average? Or is race a non-issue in terms of voting in the UK?

Blacks usually vote solidly Labour

How many blacks actually live in England? I can't imagine it being a very high number.

The highest concentrations of black people in the UK are in inner city Manchester (Moss Side), inner city Birmingham (Ladywood, Aston) & south London (Tulse Hill, Peckham, Brixton). There are also small pockets in Leeds (Chapeltown), Liverpool (Toxteth), Nottingham (Hyson Green), Bristol (St Pauls) and Leicester. Overall ethnic minorities make up about 5% of England's population though in some inner city areas of Birmingham & London they're a clear majority. Brent South for instance is about 56% non-white and Leicester is the most multi-cultural city in Europe. The number of ethnic minorities in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland is tiny, about 1% or less. Vote wise Blacks are overwhelmingly Labour, probably 80%+. Asians usually back Labour, however not when the candidate is from a different religion. Labour nearly lost Bradford West (an iron clad Labour seat) in 1997 because the Labour candidate was Sikh and 30% of the population are muslim. Rather cynically the Tories fielded a muslim candidate!!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies