WA-SEN (Change Research/NPI): Murray +41 in King County
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:38:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2022 Senate & House Election Polls
  WA-SEN (Change Research/NPI): Murray +41 in King County
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WA-SEN (Change Research/NPI): Murray +41 in King County  (Read 1455 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2022, 11:32:21 AM »

Murray (D) 68%
Smiley (R) 27%

https://www.nwprogressive.org/weblog/2022/11/patty-murray-has-the-support-of-almost-seven-in-ten-voters-in-king-county-npi-poll-finds.html

They add that their statewide poll in October (Murray +10) showed the exact same result in King.

Biden won King 75-22 (+19 statewide)
Inslee won King 74-26 (+14 statewide)
Cantwell won King 74-26 (+17 statewide)

Democrat vote was 76-24 in the primary (+14 statewide)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 12:25:39 PM »

They add that their statewide poll in October (Murray +10) showed the exact same result in King.

That's pretty odd because extrapolating this to the statewide figures gets you to D+3, and under fairly reasonable turnout assumptions even a bit worse.

OTOH, county-level polling seems pretty jank, and it looks like relative to normal numbers Republicans have picked up very little, whereas Democrats have bled a lot to undecided. So one could pretty easily imagine Democrats end up doing a lot better even if this poll is completely true.

(But, on the third hand, Change Research has a decent Democratic house effect. And the decision to release a King County poll instead of a WA poll is smelly. Taking this at face value suggests the race is close to tied, or has the slimmest of Murray leads.)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 12:27:58 PM »

This is a Lean D race due to the state's partisanship. Nonetheless, +41 is a rather disappointing margin for a D in King County in all places...
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 12:55:00 PM »

This is a Lean D race due to the state's partisanship. Nonetheless, +41 is a rather disappointing margin for a D in King County in all places...

Quite a lot of evidence now of Dems falling back from Trump era numbers in the big cities.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 01:04:39 PM »

Quite a lot of evidence now of Dems falling back from Trump era numbers in the big cities.
Very marginally, yes, that's inarguable. Trump-era margins were probably unsustainable anyway.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 01:11:26 PM »

There's long been a rule of thumb that a Republican candidate can't win in Washington unless they hit 40% in King Country. If Smiley is at 27%, or if we're very generous, give her all the undecideds, and she's at 32%, then her only path is to put up truly unprecedented numbers across the board elsewhere in the state. I don't see that happening.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 01:13:35 PM »

There's long been a rule of thumb that a Republican candidate can't win in Washington unless they hit 40% in King Country. If Smiley is at 27%, or if we're very generous, give her all the undecideds, and she's at 32%, then her only path is to put up truly unprecedented numbers across the board elsewhere in the state. I don't see that happening.

That was before the big rural R shift, though.  The number in King for an R to win statewide is almost surely down in the 30's now.  IDK if it's above or below 35%?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 01:26:55 PM »

That was before the big rural R shift, though.  The number in King for an R to win statewide is almost surely down in the 30's now.  IDK if it's above or below 35%?

Yeah, I'd say 35% is a better benchmark now. If you really juiced rural/exurban margins, you could probably squeak by with 33% or so.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 01:29:12 PM »

Polls always underestimate margins in uncompetitive areas. This is why NY Gov and OK Gov are not competitive btw.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 01:30:24 PM »

That was before the big rural R shift, though.  The number in King for an R to win statewide is almost surely down in the 30's now.  IDK if it's above or below 35%?

Yeah, I'd say 35% is a better benchmark now. If you really juiced rural/exurban margins, you could probably squeak by with 33% or so.
Smiley at 32% would still run short of this. Smiley, despite her excellent campaign, is running headlong against the state's partisanship. I don't see this flipping when all votes are counted...
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 01:47:53 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2022, 01:51:41 PM by Miscellaneous Top Secret Crumpets »

That was before the big rural R shift, though.  The number in King for an R to win statewide is almost surely down in the 30's now.  IDK if it's above or below 35%?

Looking at the two closest statewide elections in 2020 - Secretary of State and State Treasurer - you're right about it falling below 40%, but I probably wouldn't go quite that low. Secretary of State was R+7.3 statewide, and Wyman got 41.4% in King County. State Treasurer was D+6.9 statewide, and Davidson got 32.4% in King Country. This is very unprecise, but going by universal shift, a 50-50 statewide result translates to 37.8% as Wyman's benchmark in King County and 35.9% as Davidson's. Even taking into account more urban-rural polarization since 2020, I think a benchmark as low as 35% is an absolute best-case scenario for Republicans and they should still really be shooting for at least 38%.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 01:51:45 PM »

Looking at the two closest statewide elections in 2020 - Secretary of State and State Treasurer - you're right about it falling below 40%, but I probably wouldn't go quite that low. Secretary of State was R+7.3 statewide, and Wyman got 41.4% statewide. State Treasurer was D+6.9 statewide, and Davidson got 32.4% in King Country. This is very unprecise, but going by universal shift, a 50-50 statewide result translates to 37.8% as Wyman's benchmark in King County and 35.9% as Davidson's. Even taking into account more urban-rural polarization since 2020, I think 35% as a benchmark is an absolute best-case scenario for Republicans and they should still really be shooting for at least 38%.
I can agree with this.
Fact remains that WA is a hard state for Rs in general. Ds can do sub-optimally in whole regions and still expect to win in a close race.
OriAr
Rookie
Israel

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2022, 12:29:03 AM »

30% with super juiced rurals probably gives Smiley a shot.
If she clears 35% in King County (As unlikely as that is). she is the favorite IMO
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 01:22:58 PM »

This implies that Murray will win WA by high single digits, which is a bit underwhelming but also outside of what I consider competitive.

The worst case scenario would be something like in what happened in NJ last year if undecideds lean Smiley.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2022, 07:40:03 PM »

Murray currently +49 in King County - 74.39% to Smiley's 25.39%. Looks like even non-Trumpy Republicans have lost whatever inroads they still had not just in the city but in the burbs too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies