Are “right-wing progressive” or “left-wing conservative” contradictory terms?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 07:35:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are “right-wing progressive” or “left-wing conservative” contradictory terms?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Are “right-wing progressive” or “left-wing conservative” contradictory terms?  (Read 1009 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2022, 05:59:13 PM »

Based on your understanding of left wing, right wing, progressive, and conservative, are the phrases mentioned contradictory?
Zenobiyl
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 06:45:33 PM »

No. The left-right axis applies to economic and social issues, and one can hold differing positions on either
SlavicOrthodoxWolf
Rookie
Kazakhstan

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 07:21:56 PM »

No. I am a far-left cultural conservative. There are many of those in Russia, China, Serbia, Venezuela and other countries.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 11:33:27 PM »

Nah, being overall more "left-wing" than "right-wing" while also being overall more "conservative" than "progressive" (or vice-versa) is perfectly coherent and reasonable.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 11:43:37 PM »

No. I think it would be quite reasonable to call me a 'right-wing progressive', or something along those lines.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 03:35:34 AM »

I am both.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 12:29:27 PM »

No. The left-right axis applies to economic and social issues, and one can hold differing positions on either

Progressive/conservative = social/cultural orientation, left/right = economic and social power. For example, there is a parochial, traditionalist, and statist “Left” orientation in the PRC political spectrum that is diametrically opposed to a more cosmopolitan, socially liberal, and pro-market “Right” orientation.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 03:58:06 PM »

Considering much of the left wing still stans for Marx after almost 200 years later and glorifies the labor movement and policies if a century ago that certaintly reflects some degree of conservatism. I mean its pretty conservative to not think the social security retirement age should increase after almost 100 years.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 07:57:19 AM »

I think they are both oxymorons, and I was really annoyed back when one of the major political parties of Canada called itself the Progressive Conservatives.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023, 01:13:27 PM »

I think Erdogan is an example of a “right wing progressive.” Opposes the Kemalist status quo, and doesn’t want to return to any system before it, so he’s progressive, but also often thought of as right-wing.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 01:19:46 PM »

Personally I don't think of Erdogan as "right-wing", but that's more than anything because I don't really think primarily in terms of self-identified left or right as much as my own set of priorities.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 01:48:32 PM »

Obviously not.

For a great example of the latter, look at Atlas poster Xahar. Or Al, though he might quibble with "left-wing", but he's certainly a conservative in the 'small-c" sense.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 01:49:03 PM »

I consider myself to be a left-wing conservative and I think France has quite a few too.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 03:47:35 PM »

Look no further than Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson both having basically progressive outlooks while despising each other because they came from different wings of that tradition.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2023, 08:10:30 PM »

“Right-wing conservative” is pretty unusual in the United States.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2023, 10:48:18 PM »

Typically you see this in communist countries. For example, Chen Yun, Li Peng and Leonid Brezhnev were left-wing conservatives, while Gorbachev, Zhao Ziyang, and the like were right-wing progressives, although more accurately called reformers. The typical LGBT supporting western style liberal in China today could also be called a right-wing progressive, since their views are identical to western progressives, but they are positionally right wing within their own polity.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2023, 12:36:10 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2023, 12:45:16 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

No because Secular means Judicial Review and Right wing means Judiciary Retrait Lincoln v Douglas Lincoln was considered a Liberal in his time because he believed in Judicial Review Fed Rights Trump state rights I have said this many times

Mary Landrieu is a blue dog she would of been a Dixiecrat in the 1800s, because Jefferson said blks should be slaves rights not explained in the Constitution are reserved to states

Monarchy are still the Whigs they are Conserv but believes in Judicial Review not restraint on climate change like McCain and Teddy Roosevelt, Queen Victoria freed blks in 1830 and Lincoln did in 1865

Taft introduced the Income Tax it wasn't Woodrow Wilson and Hoover raised taxes that's Juducial Review not restraint

It's called compassionate Conserv Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bush W and Nixon coined the phrase it was Whigs owl party during Taft time and Working class or Populist not Orogressive for Dixiecrats but Pragmatic now, Cooper Head Ds are considered Dixiecrats eventhogh they were from North like Franklin Pierce and James Buchanan and Grover Cleveland up to Taft it was compassionate Conserv
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2023, 09:10:42 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2023, 09:14:59 PM by All Along The Watchtower »

Typically you see this in communist countries. For example, Chen Yun, Li Peng and Leonid Brezhnev were left-wing conservatives, while Gorbachev, Zhao Ziyang, and the like were right-wing progressives, although more accurately called reformers. The typical LGBT supporting western style liberal in China today could also be called a right-wing progressive, since their views are identical to western progressives, but they are positionally right wing within their own polity.

Except Gorbachev, like Khrushchev before him (the Khrushchev era being when Gorbachev came of age, of course), very much thought of himself as a faithful Leninist—indeed, more faithful to Lenin’s ideals than his immediate predecessors and the other tired old men who had been running the Communist Party of the Soviet Union up until 1985, with the possible slight exception of his mentor Andropov. Doesn’t seem very right-wing to me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies