Should Minnesota abolish the Lt. Gov. position?

(1/4) > >>

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better:
There is a push in the legislature to do so. The Lt. Gov. is a position with absolutely no duties at all except to sit around and wait for the Gov. to die or resign and a way to add a token woman to the ticket. In fact Pawlenty appointed his Lt. Gov. Secretary of Transportation just because the job is so meaningless. The bill to do so would have the Secretary of State take over after the Governor. Minnesota also used to have a State Treasurer position, but it was abolished in 2002 since other departments had taken over most of its work, and it had become so work-free one Treasurer in the 80s was known for taking frequent vacations to Florida.

Anyway, I support this.

MODU:

I would have to see what the duties of the Lt. Gov are before making a judgement.  However, I am leaning towards no.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better:
Quote from: MODU on January 31, 2007, 02:10:45 PM

I would have to see what the duties of the Lt. Gov are before making a judgement.

None. The only purpose is to take over if the Governorship become vacant.

MODU:
Quote from: Senator BRTD on January 31, 2007, 03:05:17 PM

Quote from: MODU on January 31, 2007, 02:10:45 PM

I would have to see what the duties of the Lt. Gov are before making a judgement.

None. The only purpose is to take over if the Governorship become vacant.

Can you please provide the state's website description of the position and its duties?

Joe Republic:
If other states can see fit to keep their lt. governors relatively occupied, then why not do the same in Minnesota and simply delegate a few duties?  For that reason, I vote no.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page