NY-SEN (Emerson): Schumer +13
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:50:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2022 Senate & House Election Polls
  NY-SEN (Emerson): Schumer +13
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-SEN (Emerson): Schumer +13  (Read 417 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2022, 06:24:43 PM »

A new poll came out from Emerson today regarding New York's Senatorial race:

This race is obviously Safe D, but Schumer is on track to have his worst performance since he was first elected in 1998. This poll shows Pinion hitting 40%, significantly higher than Long's 27% in 2016.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 08:04:45 PM »

Is Pinion even airing ads? It looks like he raised barely $100k in the entire quarter last year - and he's getting 40%? To me, this is why it's not even the Hochul race specifically, the entire thing is just weird.
THKL
Rookie
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 01:48:10 AM »

It seems inevitable this year that Chuck Schumer will be in the unusual position of being the Incumbent Senator with by far the biggest swing against him from the last time he was on the ballot (This poll has him winning by a whopping 30 points less then he did in 2016), while still being Safe to win re-election, albeit by a weaker then normal margin (probably ~15 points).
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 07:46:56 AM »

It seems inevitable this year that Chuck Schumer will be in the unusual position of being the Incumbent Senator with by far the biggest swing against him from the last time he was on the ballot (This poll has him winning by a whopping 30 points less then he did in 2016), while still being Safe to win re-election, albeit by a weaker then normal margin (probably ~15 points).

Incumbent Senate Majority Leader at that!*

I know that the Speaker has lost re-election on... two (?) occasions.  Has an incumbent Senate majority leader ever been ousted?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 08:12:39 AM »

I know that the Speaker has lost re-election on... two (?) occasions.  Has an incumbent Senate majority leader ever been ousted?

This is from a 2014 Politico article listing the Congressional leaders who had lost reelection since 1900:

• House Minority Leader Champ Clark (D-Mo.) lost to Republican Theodore W. Hukriede in 1920.
  • Senate Majority Leader James Watson (R-Ind.) lost to Democrat Frederick Van Nuys in 1932.
  • Senate Majority Leader Scott Lucas (D-Ill.) lost to Republican Everett Dirksen in 1950.
  • Senate Majority Leader Ernest McFarland (D-Ariz.) lost to Republican Barry Goldwater in 1952.
  • House Speaker Tom Foley (D-Wash.) lost to Republican George Nethercutt in 1994.
  • Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle (D-S.D.) lost to Republican John Thune in 2004.
  • House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) lost to Republican David Brat in 2014.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 08:17:21 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2022, 08:24:46 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

I know that the Speaker has lost re-election on... two (?) occasions.  Has an incumbent Senate majority leader ever been ousted?

This is from a 2014 Politico article listing the Congressional leaders who had lost reelection since 1900:

• House Minority Leader Champ Clark (D-Mo.) lost to Republican Theodore W. Hukriede in 1920.
  • Senate Majority Leader James Watson (R-Ind.) lost to Democrat Frederick Van Nuys in 1932.
  • Senate Majority Leader Scott Lucas (D-Ill.) lost to Republican Everett Dirksen in 1950.
  • Senate Majority Leader Ernest McFarland (D-Ariz.) lost to Republican Barry Goldwater in 1952.
  • House Speaker Tom Foley (D-Wash.) lost to Republican George Nethercutt in 1994.
  • Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle (D-S.D.) lost to Republican John Thune in 2004.
  • House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) lost to Republican David Brat in 2014.

I said SENATE majority leader, GM! I didn't want all that extra crap!

Seriously though, turning off princess mode, thank you for the quick stats!  IIRC, Foley was the first Speaker to lose re-election since the mid-1800's.  Shows you how truly earth-shattering that election cycle was.

Only one on the list I remember was Cantor. I seem to recall that him being primaried one of the bigger election upsets in recent history.  

EDIT: And nobody ever heard from Barry Goldwater after 1952.... Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies