Analysis: Crime is more of an "issue" because Fox/right wing media is making it one
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 03:47:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Analysis: Crime is more of an "issue" because Fox/right wing media is making it one
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Analysis: Crime is more of an "issue" because Fox/right wing media is making it one  (Read 1467 times)
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2022, 12:51:28 PM »

That must have been my paranoia that saw a random person smash the glass door of the midtown bar I was in with a pipe for no apparent reason.

I'm not exactly scared for my personal safety (more so in NYC than other cities) except when I am in the subway, but there seems to be an exponential rise in mental illness that may not even lead to me being personally victimized but is just unpleasant to be around.

Crime in NYC is overrated, but certainly not in Philadelphia where school closures did immense damage, reversing decades of progress. A relief that media finally starts recognizing it.
As always depends on where/who you are. University City had that Temple graduate get popped however by and large gun violence is confined to those involved in um…. illegitimate activities. Innocent bystanders don’t usually become shooting victims in Philly; the South Street shooting got a lot of press but South Philly is A LOT safer than it was during the 80s/90s according to my dad. In contrast I can vouch I’ve almost been mugged 2x in my final 6 months living in Belmont and there’s numerous publicized examples of property crime growing worse (e.g. ongoing carjacking epidemic, Wawa pulling out of the city after a group of kids ransacked their Mayfield store, etc.)

I don’t know whether school closings were a factor but I buy lack of community outlets that come with education/extracurriculars explains some of the post-COVID Mad Max behavior in the Badlands. Like the s____y public school to Emerald City peddler’s existed for a while but for god’s sakes every El station has its share of homeless. And it’s heartbreaking because as you said areas such as Belmont and Fairmount were genuinely reaping the Eds and Meds benefits only to suffer during the pandemic-and-post.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2022, 12:53:26 PM »

That must have been my paranoia that saw a random person smash the glass door of the midtown bar I was in with a pipe for no apparent reason.

I'm not exactly scared for my personal safety (more so in NYC than other cities) except when I am in the subway, but there seems to be an exponential rise in mental illness that may not even lead to me being personally victimized but is just unpleasant to be around.

Crime in NYC is overrated, but certainly not in Philadelphia where school closures did immense damage, reversing decades of progress. A relief that media finally starts recognizing it.

"I saw a crime happen once!  But it happens, and I don't feel scared about crime."

Very cool, thanks! 👍
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2022, 01:30:40 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2022, 01:34:02 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

"I saw a crime happen once!  But it happens, and I don't feel scared about crime."

Very cool, thanks! 👍

Random property damage is a weekly to biweekly sighting for the last year plus when it was incredibly rare before. All I'm saying is that people are still uncomfortable by victimless or non-violent crimes even when there is no threat to their personal well-being. New York City is perhaps the safest place in all of America and I'm sick of it being cited as an example of how dangerous things have become. But I'm not going to fault, particularly women, who don't want to be around unstable individuals as paranoid themselves.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2022, 06:46:58 PM »

According to the FBI UCR, the national crime rate plummeted from 1993 to 2000 (the Clinton years), dropped again from 2006 to 2014, increased from 2014-2016 [ but only back to 2010 levels ], and have stayed relatively steady since then, with minor drops in 2018-19 and a minor uptick in 2020.

Crime is no longer dropping but it's no longer the crisis it once was a generation ago.

Why bother with data and statistics when anecdotes and gut feelings that crime has surely been rising exponentially make a far more compelling case.

It's no wonder Americans have been flocking to buy guns hand over fist, when they're using the same logical reasoning that helped them conclude that "more guns = more safety".
Hollywood
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2022, 07:23:39 PM »

Crime definitely skyrocketed across the country.  There was an enormous rise homicides from 2019 to 2021.  The murder rate rose to levels not seen since the late 90s.  There was a noticeable on the graph. 

Many lesser crimes decreased or went flat in 2020 and 2021. Property Crimes fell in 2020 despite the many violent riots that occurred in the Summer.  The number of thefts went flat or rose slightly.  Democrats like Lori Lightfoot attempted to point to these statistics as evidence that crime was not rising, but people knew that her claim wasn't possible given the amount of crime people were noticing.  The reason for the crime drop has to do with the police making less arrests, prosecutors filing and clearing less criminal cases, and the lack of police reports filed by residents and businesses in urban areas.  For example, I saw three thefts occur at my local 7/11 within the last two years despite only witnessing 1 in the two preceding decades, and nobody reported the crime even though it occurred in front of the clerk.  Theft got so bad that they locked the fridge doors. 

Unlike property crimes, Homicides can't be covered up by statistics because there's a dead body demonstrating that the crime occurred.  The number record-breaking overdose deaths (100,000) is also red flag that the number of crimes is much higher than statistics indicate, because it means there are more drug addicts willing to commit crimes so they can acquire more drugs.  Crime is an issue because it's a growing problem that stemmed from BLM Riots, Covid-19 policies, Criminal Justice Reforms, and the poor Economic Conditions.  As we head into a global recession, the problems people face with crime will only rise.   
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2022, 07:48:59 PM »

there seems to be an exponential rise in mental illness that may not even lead to me being personally victimized but is just unpleasant to be around.

Co-signed for Chicago. It is particularly apparent on the L.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2022, 10:26:38 PM »

A lot of left-wingers need to stop downplaying the recent crime surge. It literally helps NO ONE to downplay this issue.

Crime may not be as high 30-40 years ago but that's irrelevant. That doesn't mean the current crime wave is acceptable.

Stop letting Republicans/conservatives win on this issue!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2022, 10:42:31 PM »

A lot of left-wingers need to stop downplaying the recent crime surge. It literally helps NO ONE to downplay this issue.

Crime may not be as high 30-40 years ago but that's irrelevant. That doesn't mean the current crime wave is acceptable.

Once again, what recent crime surge?

It's possible to maintain an anti-crime standpoint without pretending we're in some kind of unprecedented crime crisis.  It's truly a shame how many Americans (of all political stripes, notably) have fallen for this hysteria.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2022, 11:01:39 PM »

Are we trying to act like crime isn't a problem? It's rising and we should do something about that.
Hollywood
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2022, 11:15:45 PM »

I've been warning Democrats that crime would be an election issue for around 18 months.  There were numerous stories about Fortune 500 Companies moving businesses out of Democrat areas due to the crime.  Pharmacies and Local Merchants closed or moved out of BLM areas cause items on their shelves were so often stolen or looted that premiums for business insurance became unaffordable or unavailable.  Large companies like CVS wouldn't pull multiple stores out of an area over some imaginary crime problem.  

Republicans are winning on pretty much every issue, because Democrats thought they could win by gaslighting the public.  
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2022, 11:20:04 PM »

Are we trying to act like crime isn't a problem?

It's the same problem it was about ten years ago, just looking at the statistics.

It's rising and we should do something about that.

Source: trust me bro
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2022, 11:27:31 PM »

It's possible to maintain an anti-crime standpoint without pretending we're in some kind of unprecedented crime crisis.  It's truly a shame how many Americans (of all political stripes, notably) have fallen for this hysteria.
Going by the graph you provided, crime in recent years (2020-2021) was higher than in the immediate pre-COVID years (2011-2019).

There's your crime surge!
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2022, 11:31:23 PM »

Going by the graph you provided, crime in recent years (2020-2021) was higher than in the immediate pre-COVID years (2011-2019).

There's your crime surge!
Calling the increase in 20 and 21 vs 11-19’a “surge” is being unbelievably generous term wise
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2022, 11:48:30 PM »

Calling the increase in 20 and 21 vs 11-19’a “surge” is being unbelievably generous term wise
Well, regardless, there has been a surge in violent crime, especially when it comes to certain types of violence.

There's been a surge in subway crime, muggings and random assaults here in NYC. That is undeniable. Yeah, it's not '80s/early '90s levels of bad but it's still a problem and very worrying.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2022, 12:27:08 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2022, 12:50:17 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

It's possible to maintain an anti-crime standpoint without pretending we're in some kind of unprecedented crime crisis.  It's truly a shame how many Americans (of all political stripes, notably) have fallen for this hysteria.

Crime cannot be analyzed at a national level. It can barely be analyzed at a city-wide level but fortunately American cities are so divided into the wealthy and backwater cities at this point that a clear pattern will emerge quickly enough.

The 2022 Mid-year crime report came out last month which probably hearkened the rise in journalism validating the lived experiences of people living in the most desirable locations of America.

Among the 70 US jurisdictions reporting, the fastest growing places for violent crime in 2022 included:
1. Fairfax County (+38.6%)
2. Miami-Dade (+26.4%)
3. New York City (+24.7%) - You can separately validate against the weekly data for 10 months against non-COVID years. Felony complaints are up 33%; felony assaults, the most common violent crime are up 25% and over 50% since my high school years.
4. DeKalb County, GA (+22.2%)
5. Nassau County, NY (+22.0%)
9. Seattle (+17.1%)
11. Los Angeles County (+12.0%)
14. San Jose (+10.5%)
15. Los Angeles (+10.3%)
17. Austin (+10.1%)
19. Washington DC (+9.7%)

Denver, Philadelphia, Atlanta, San Francisco, and the DC suburbs were all above the average but did not have double digit percentage increases in violent crime this year. Minneapolis, Chicago and Boston are the only chic cities that didn't soar (all had incremental increases.)

For the offset allowing the modest national numbers, you can thank Middle American third or lower tier economies for once!
70. Columbus (-28.1%)
67. Louisville (-18.7%)
66. Pittsburgh (-13.6%)
65. Detroit (-13.4%)
64. Cleveland (-12.0%)
63. Oakland (-11.2%)
62. Indianapolis (-10.3%)

St. Louis, Kansas City, Houston, Milwaukee also had steep declines. No one in national media gives a hoot about what happens in any of those places, unless Fox News can use it the way they pretend to care about murders in south Chicago.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2022, 06:02:34 AM »

indeed, clearly this varies by place to place.  I'm not sure what value there is denying this fact.  It's weird in a way, you'd think the "more guns equals more gun violence" crowd would want there to statistically be more violence so they can be correct for a change, but here we are.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies