opinion of Vail using Eminent Domain to prevent low income housing to save big horn sheep
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:28:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  opinion of Vail using Eminent Domain to prevent low income housing to save big horn sheep
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: opinion of Vail using Eminent Domain to prevent low income housing to save big horn sheep
approve, screw the poor! save the sheep!

approve, screw the rich, they should just pay their employees more, the city will figure out housing them...or something

meh

disapprove, we ain't running out of big horn sheep, this will help the employees

disapprove, for other reasons

you just don't get it dead0

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: opinion of Vail using Eminent Domain to prevent low income housing to save big horn sheep  (Read 1002 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2022, 06:28:45 AM »

local link
On Friday, Oct. 14, the town of Vail filed a “petition in condemnation” of the Booth Heights habitat and site in East Vail with the Eagle County District Court, carrying out the next step of condemnation following Vail Resorts’ rejection of its $12 million offer to purchase the land.

“The Town’s acquisition of the Subject Property is necessary in order to preserve the Town’s open space and its wildlife and natural resources for the public welfare and is essential to protect, preserve, and promote the health, safety, welfare, and convenience of the public,” reads the petition.

This marks the town’s next step in acquiring the site by eminent domain, continuing a process that it kicked off in May 2022, when the Town Council voted to condemn the East Vail site. The filing holds that the town “negotiated in good faith” with Vail Resorts, but that “the parties have been unable to reach an agreement on the voluntary acquisition of the Subject Property prior to the filing of this condemnation action.”
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 08:42:27 AM »

Ridiculous.

I do not live near Vail, but locals where I live state that the bighorn sheep are just a cover up for NIMBYs.

I am lucky I have flexibility where I live, and was very lucky to find an apartment in the mountains.

Towns like vail collapse without low income housing.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 02:22:14 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2022, 02:25:16 PM by Aurelius »

I worked in the ski industry for 2 years.

F**k Vail Resorts.

Bighorn sheep are a Least Concern species with an enormous range. I have seen them in Glacier National Park, the Uinta mountains, and many other places.

I am trying to resist the temptation to rant out a massive wall of text about why Vail sucks, the dysfunctionality of ski towns, and why the whole industry is a mess.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 02:46:43 AM »

I am trying to resist the temptation to rant out a massive wall of text about why Vail sucks, the dysfunctionality of ski towns, and why the whole industry is a mess.

I'd be interested.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 02:53:36 AM »

I'd be interested.

As a resident of a town subject to Vail Resorts' imperial hegemony, as would I.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 06:13:42 PM »

I'd be interested.

I'd be interested.

As a resident of a town subject to Vail Resorts' imperial hegemony, as would I.

I'm trying to take a break from here for a bit to get stuff done IRL. But if I can catch a break from the job-search onslaught I'll write something up. A lot of it is stuff like what this thread is about, but there's also a lot of inside-baseball management and operations stuff that have nothing to do with politics. I will never forgive Vail Resorts for what they did to Kirkwood.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 09:46:57 PM »

In this situation it is the City of Vail preventing affordable housing form being built.

I am not in Vail, but locals in my community think the city of Vail and the company of Vail is insane.

Vail is nicknamed "fail".

Colorado law requires salaries to be posted for job postings. If you look at management job postings in Fail, you will see why it's a ridiculous company. And that is just scratching the surface.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 09:11:53 AM »

It seems more like a snob zoning issue than an eminent domain issue. Sure eminent domain is used all the time to preserve open space. That is a legitimate public purpose. But snob zoning has been struck down in many places, in particular NJ. So keep the open fields, and insert  low income housing next to the ski lifts or city hall or something.

Yes, you guessed it, I did not vote in the poll. It kind of misses the point and imposes a false dichotomy in my mind. I don't have to choose. I can have both.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies