Opinion of North Carolina Conservative
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:52:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of North Carolina Conservative
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ...
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Opinion of North Carolina Conservative  (Read 2685 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2022, 11:10:08 AM »

I was not aware of the "get a real job" comments and the pattern that he does seem to display here. I am reluctantly switching my vote to HP.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2022, 11:34:47 AM »

I was not aware of the "get a real job" comments and the pattern that he does seem to display here. I am reluctantly switching my vote to HP.

Can you explain why you consider this opinion to be bad enough to warrant HP status but not “someone deserves to be fired for being trans”?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2022, 11:45:14 AM »

Can you explain why you consider this opinion to be bad enough to warrant HP status but not “someone deserves to be fired for being trans”?
It seems you haven't read my posts explaining my views on this, or if you have, you simply don't understand it. If that's the case, nothing else I can say can help you very much. Not sure why it's hard to understand that someone with an anti-anti-poor worldview might be moved more by this kind of snobbery...I mention Latin America because I hold the LatAm right in uniquely strong contempt (Jeanine Anez, ew), and this is where he and I disagree probably the most strongly.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2022, 12:20:43 PM »

It seems you haven't read my posts explaining my views on this, or if you have, you simply don't understand it. If that's the case, nothing else I can say can help you very much. Not sure why it's hard to understand that someone with an anti-anti-poor worldview might be moved more by this kind of snobbery...I mention Latin America because I hold the LatAm right in uniquely strong contempt (Jeanine Anez, ew), and this is where he and I disagree probably the most strongly.
It would be nice if you saw hatred of trans people in the same light as hatred of poor people.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2022, 12:51:00 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2022, 01:45:15 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

It would be nice if you saw hatred of trans people in the same light as hatred of poor people.
I broadly dislike hatred. But hatred of the poor and hatred of trans people is really apples and oranges, and I am not saying this to claim one is OK and another is not, I'm saying this because the fashions and conventional wisdom seem to change on what reality is on gender issues quite a fair bit over time, and it feels pretty unsettled. There is a lot less that is actually clear about the latter rather than the former. The definition of the phobia is too much of a moving target for me to consider it to be in the same category.

Meanwhile, hatred of the poor is distinctly different. There's always been poor people and in no complex society has there not been some kind of hierarchy in terms of wealth and class. I can't in good faith place the two on the same pedestal. And in terms of how much harm they do society (also important), comparatively, there is no comparison. Class envy and rivalry helped fuel most of the worst crimes of the twentieth century (particularly when combined with ethnic bigotry). The evils wrought by the worst of GOP policies today on gender are awful, no doubt, but it looks like nothing in sheer scale compared to the worst of what we saw in the 20th century.

I can't think of these two bigoted animuses in the same light because they are, in fact, not the same.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2022, 12:55:51 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2022, 01:18:56 PM by 🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸 »

In some international thread a while back he thought that "Roma" meant "Romanian". Truly someone too dumb to live.

tbf this does seem kind of unnecessarily confusing, particularly in combination with Roma, Italy.

See also Galicia, Spain and Galicia, Poland. As far as I can tell the latter is, unlike the former, unrelated to Gaul and Galatia etymologically.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2022, 03:14:13 PM »

I broadly dislike hatred. But hatred of the poor and hatred of trans people is really apples and oranges, and I am not saying this to claim one is OK and another is not, I'm saying this because the fashions and conventional wisdom seem to change on what reality is on gender issues quite a fair bit over time, and it feels pretty unsettled. There is a lot less that is actually clear about the latter rather than the former. The definition of the phobia is too much of a moving target for me to consider it to be in the same category.

Meanwhile, hatred of the poor is distinctly different. There's always been poor people and in no complex society has there not been some kind of hierarchy in terms of wealth and class. I can't in good faith place the two on the same pedestal. And in terms of how much harm they do society (also important), comparatively, there is no comparison. Class envy and rivalry helped fuel most of the worst crimes of the twentieth century (particularly when combined with ethnic bigotry). The evils wrought by the worst of GOP policies today on gender are awful, no doubt, but it looks like nothing in sheer scale compared to the worst of what we saw in the 20th century.

I can't think of these two bigoted animuses in the same light because they are, in fact, not the same.
Trans people deserving dignity and the right to not face discrimination is pretty unambiguously clear. Dick measuring about the level of suffering caused by hatred of us in history as if that determines how unacceptable blatant hatred of us is ridiculous.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2022, 03:34:40 PM »

Trans people deserving dignity and the right to not face discrimination is pretty unambiguously clear. Dick measuring about the level of suffering caused by hatred of us in history as if that determines how unacceptable blatant hatred of us is ridiculous.
Again, I will note that I did not say either hatred was good as enacted policy and pretty clearly said both of them suck. And I'm not going to and not trying to convince you not to be angry, that is a waste of time. But if you can't notice that activist demands themselves seem to be pretty inconsistent and hard to keep up with and the space is rife with immense division that makes it impossible to speak of them as one political community, then there is no point in taking this further. For the time being...goodbye, have a nice day.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2022, 03:52:00 PM »

Again, I will note that I did not say either hatred was good as enacted policy and pretty clearly said both of them suck. And I'm not going to and not trying to convince you not to be angry, that is a waste of time. But if you can't notice that activist demands themselves seem to be pretty inconsistent and hard to keep up with and the space is rife with immense division that makes it impossible to speak of them as one political community, then there is no point in taking this further. For the time being...goodbye, have a nice day.
The supposed "inconsistency" of "activist demands" on trans issues has nothing to do with whether naked bigotry against trans people makes you a bad person. Don't patronize me when you don't understand this.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2022, 04:44:15 PM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2022, 04:49:28 PM »

I ascribe to the Dule School of handling this issue. I'm not home, but you can complain to the manager if you want.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2022, 07:16:54 PM »

Still one of the saner blue avvies here.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2022, 07:39:00 PM »

There are people far worse than him.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2022, 08:15:39 PM »

I ascribe to the Dule School of handling this issue. I'm not home, but you can complain to the manager if you want.
You can't claim to not be home if you never leave your house.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2022, 08:20:34 PM »

I left the house multiple times this week, even though the work I do and my efforts to improve my knowledge leads me to work from home.
Get some new material.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2022, 12:38:08 PM »

Assuming the poster is a teen, do you give any slack for immaturity?

Some of the way out there over the far horizon opinions might be to create buzz. I think the argot of the kids these days is "edgelord."

Yeah, it is all quite boring. Some might call it white noise.

He did the same stuff two years ago. I tend to give young posters a second chance over time, which is why I took him off ignore. NCC is presumably of voting age or close to it now and still hasn't changed. He also has a long history of demeaning people of lower economic status and tore into a dogwalker for not having a "real job." (On an unrelated note, that term always sounded funny to me. Do people have "fake jobs" that are just imaginary or hallucinatory?)

Regardless, age is not an excuse for naked bigotry. On this forum, we consider posts telling others to go f#ck themselves more offensive than the trash that's being replied to.

How ironic that a kid who probably doesn't even have a job in the first place, is chewing out someone who at least is in a position of employment in some form.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2022, 09:49:39 AM »

Easy FF
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2022, 10:06:37 AM »

You think someone who wants to ban trans people from being teachers is a FF?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2022, 10:10:35 AM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2022, 10:21:59 AM »

I don't agree with him on that, but so what?  It's not like he's the only person on earth, or even on the Atlas who believe that.  I don't do automatic HP for one issue like you do. 
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2022, 10:22:04 AM »

I left the house multiple times this week, even though the work I do and my efforts to improve my knowledge leads me to work from home.
Get some new material.

"If you're explaining, you're losing."
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2022, 03:49:00 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2022, 03:56:45 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

That's the best you can come up with, ドネレイル様? Good lord. Moments like this make me glad you aren't in my main circle of associates anymore. I've made myself new friends!
さよなら!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2022, 04:27:37 PM »

I don't agree with him on that, but so what?  It's not like he's the only person on earth, or even on the Atlas who believe that.  I don't do automatic HP for one issue like you do. 

If someone wanted to ban Black people from being teachers, you wouldn't automatically designate them an HP?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2022, 04:43:14 PM »

Haley/Ryan, now going by North Carolina Conservative, took his present display name after arguing with me over what conservatism is and is likely meant to imply in standard GOP "you know what" measuring contest fashion that he is more conservative than me. Of course I contend that his brand of conservativism impaled with neoliberal economics and a Wilsonian foreign policy is a considerable deviation from conservative principles (the reasons which I continually articulate) and I stand by that interpretation.

Personally I hold nothing against him, but his one dimensional understanding of politics, political history and so forth leads to any number of bad takes and flawed analysis. When you take your economic philosophy and foreign policy approach straight from the liberal playbook (even if that from 100 years ago in the case of the former) you can be little surprised that he takes the one tangible conservative anchor that he has left to rather extreme ends.

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2022, 05:08:08 PM »

Oh. Changing vote to HP.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: