2022 NCAA Basketball Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 09:21:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2022 NCAA Basketball Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23
Author Topic: 2022 NCAA Basketball Discussion Thread  (Read 10456 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2022, 09:52:01 AM »

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2022, 04:44:47 AM »

Given Beard's contract has a for-cause firing provision for this exact circumstance, I'd expect to see him fired sooner rather than later.

My best guesses as to who will be the next head coach at Texas are:

Baylor Head Coach Scott Drew
Alabama Head Coach Nate Oats
Iowa State Head Coach T.J Otzelberger
Houston Head Coach Kelvin Sampson
Gonzaga Head Coach Mark Few
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2022, 08:27:41 AM »

Given Beard's contract has a for-cause firing provision for this exact circumstance, I'd expect to see him fired sooner rather than later.

Mark Few is at Gonzaga for life, and the same is probably true for Kelvin Sampson and Houston.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2022, 01:16:23 PM »

Louisville is still without a win after getting flattened by previously 1-9 Florida State 75-53.

Next up for the Cardinals is their best remaining chances at getting a win this season, with their last four non-conference games and one ACC Game, three of which should be easy wins for an ACC program. (vs Western Kentucky, vs Florida A&M, vs Lipscomb, @ NC State, @ Kentucky).

I have to think that if Louisville is still winless after the Kentucky game on New Years's Eve, Kenny Payne will be fired.

I expect WKU will be favored over Louisville, and even Lipscomb is not a gimme for them.  They should certainly beat Florida A&M, which is one of the worst teams in the country.

FWIW, WKU is a 7.5 point favorite over Louisville.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2022, 06:24:50 AM »

With a 94-83 win over Western Kentucky, Louisville finally picked up their first win of the season last night.

Also last night, #16 UCLA destroyed #20 Maryland, 87-60 and UCF upset Ole Miss 72-61.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2022, 07:45:50 AM »

With a 94-83 win over Western Kentucky, Louisville finally picked up their first win of the season last night.

Also last night, #16 UCLA destroyed #20 Maryland, 87-60 and UCF upset Ole Miss 72-61.

I watched the first half of the latter game.  At the start UCF could do no wrong and Ole Miss could do no right, and after 8 minutes it was 21-0 UCF.  Ole Miss cut the deficit to 10 at halftime.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2022, 04:22:24 PM »

Mark Few is at Gonzaga for life, and the same is probably true for Kelvin Sampson and Houston.

I get that Houston would want to make sure he is at Houston for life, but what would be Sampson's motivation? As much as Houston would pour all of their resources in to help him, I have a hard time believing Texas wouldn't spend more for him. Maybe after all the chaos in his career he's happy to just keep doing what is working for him. But that would be pretty stunning if he flatly didn't even consider that move.

I have to admit, this is the first time I have gotten remotely worried about Brad Underwood leaving Illinois. Someone suggested it and I can't get it out of my head. He spent a few years coaching in Texas at SFA. Texas could probably give him incrementally more resources, and perhaps play a little more ball with NIL and admissions than Illinois can. Idk. I'm pretty confident he is pretty happy here, but maybe he thinks he has reached his ceiling. Could be in the realm of Brian Kelly to LSU or Lincoln Riley to USC. You never see it coming, but its not that insane when you really think about it.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2022, 04:38:30 PM »

I get that Houston would want to make sure he is at Houston for life, but what would be Sampson's motivation? As much as Houston would pour all of their resources in to help him, I have a hard time believing Texas wouldn't spend more for him. Maybe after all the chaos in his career he's happy to just keep doing what is working for him. But that would be pretty stunning if he flatly didn't even consider that move.

I have to admit, this is the first time I have gotten remotely worried about Brad Underwood leaving Illinois. Someone suggested it and I can't get it out of my head. He spent a few years coaching in Texas at SFA. Texas could probably give him incrementally more resources, and perhaps play a little more ball with NIL and admissions than Illinois can. Idk. I'm pretty confident he is pretty happy here, but maybe he thinks he has reached his ceiling. Could be in the realm of Brian Kelly to LSU or Lincoln Riley to USC. You never see it coming, but its not that insane when you really think about it.

I'm sure Sampson could get more money from Texas, but he already makes a decent salary ($3M base) and seems to have carved out an ideal situation at Houston.  He's clearly very happy there.  At this point in his life (he's 67) and career, I think that happiness is probably more important to him than more money -- which doesn't mean that he wouldn't try to leverage more out of Houston if Texas comes calling.  Smiley

Of course, the situation may change when Houston moves to the Big 12, where they won't be as dominant as they are in the AAC.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2022, 08:50:52 AM »

Today has one of the most impressive schedules of early-season games in recent memory, including the following:

#14 Indiana @ #8 Kansas
#4 Alabama vs #15 Gonzaga in Birmingham
#5 Houston @ #2 Virginia
North Carolina @ #23 Ohio State
#16 UCLA vs #13 Kentucky in NYC
#3 UConn @ Butler
#6 Tennessee @ #9 Arizona
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2022, 06:49:09 PM »

Two upsets today so far, one involving a ranked team.

First, North Alabama stuns Ole Miss, 66-65, for the Lion's first victory over a Power Five opponent as a Dvision One program.

Meanwhile, Drake toppled #15 Mississippi State 58-52, dealing the Bulldogs their first loss of the season.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2022, 07:05:00 PM »

Two upsets today so far, one involving a ranked team.

First, North Alabama stuns Ole Miss, 66-65, for the Lion's first victory over a Power Five opponent as a Dvision One program.

Meanwhile, Drake toppled #15 Mississippi State 58-52, dealing the Bulldogs their first loss of the season.

It's been a bad day for the SEC.  In addition to those two, Texas A&M lost a buy game to Wofford 67-62.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2022, 08:36:04 PM »

#14 Duke takes a loss that could come back to haunt them in the battle for #1 seed come March, as they lose to Wake Forest, 81-70.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2022, 09:10:46 PM »

Louisville back to losing, this time against Lipscomb 75-67.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2022, 11:26:54 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2022, 11:32:24 AM by Fmr. Pres. Duke »

#14 Duke takes a loss that could come back to haunt them in the battle for #1 seed come March, as they lose to Wake Forest, 81-70.

Duke is not going to be a #1 seed this year. I don't think they are that good
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2022, 02:16:49 PM »

Duke is not going to be a #1 seed this year. I don't think they are that good

Joe Lunardi's latest bracket (created before the Wake Forest game) had Duke as a #3, and I think that's a realistic ceiling for them.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2022, 07:19:43 PM »

We had a huge upset earlier today, as Eastern Illinois stunned Iowa, 92-83. The win is the Panthers's first over a Power Five opponent since a pre-season win over Illinois in November 2017.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2022, 07:37:18 PM »

There are always a few huge upsets in the early season, but it seems like there have been more than usual this year.  I wonder if this is a side effect of the loosened transfer rules where some low/mid-major teams are picking up some OK players who weren't quite good enough to play regularly at high majors.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2022, 09:00:09 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2022, 01:18:42 AM by GM Team Member NewYorkExpress »

Significant Upset over in the ACC, as Boston College takes down #21 Virginia Tech in overtime, 70-65.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2022, 10:34:57 PM »

Another ACC surprise, as Florida State knocks off Notre Dame 73-72 for their first conference win.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2022, 11:20:09 PM »

Another ACC surprise, as Florida State knocks off Notre Dame 73-72 for their first conference win.

It may not seem like it, but Louisville is still an ACC team and Florida State already won that game.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2022, 11:22:34 PM »

It may not seem like it, but Louisville is still an ACC team and Florida State already won that game.

Are you sure Louisville is an ACC Team? They've been playing like they're back in Conference USA.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2022, 11:24:48 PM »

Are you sure Louisville is an ACC Team? They've been playing like they're back in Conference USA.

No, Louisville was winning in Conference USA.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2022, 01:17:18 AM »

San Francisco flattened #25 Arizona State 97-60.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2022, 10:37:17 AM »

We had a huge upset earlier today, as Eastern Illinois stunned Iowa, 92-83. The win is the Panthers's first over a Power Five opponent since a pre-season win over Illinois in November 2017.

Iowa was a 31.5 to 32 point favorite, making this the largest point spread upset in college basketball in at least the last 30 years.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2022, 10:41:53 AM »

No, Louisville was winning in Conference USA.

It's hard to believe now, but in its early years C-USA was a very good basketball league.  The original members included Cincinnati, DePaul, Louisville, Marquette, and Memphis (among others), with Houston joining in its second year.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies