Ted Cruz harasses DC preschool teacher for being pregnant
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:52:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ted Cruz harasses DC preschool teacher for being pregnant
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Ted Cruz harasses DC preschool teacher for being pregnant  (Read 5462 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2022, 01:49:14 PM »

Learn the difference between sex and gender. Get it through your head.

I値l be happy to learn this distinction as soon as you guys can agree on one.

Who is "you guys"? Who must come to an agreement? Every left-of-center person in the country? We've had this discussion before, but you're smart enough to know how ridiculous of a standard this is.

I知 not asking much. If you expect every English speaker in the world to artificially adapt their speech to fit your own definition, you should at least be clear on what that definition is.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2022, 02:17:32 PM »

Are there other definitions out there than something to the effect of "sex is between your legs, gender is between your ears" ? I'm not aware of there being widespread disagreement with that idea among "pro-trans" people?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2022, 02:25:11 PM »

Being trans and saying that a man can be a woman is a misrepresentation of biology.
And yet, here I am, living day in and day out as a woman, despite my male genitalia and chromosomes. Maybe biology isn't always the most important thing?

If you want to wear a dress, I have no problem with that. You're still a man in a dress. If you think the world is obligated to learn your personal pronouns, you need to check your privilege.
Too bad I mostly wear leggings, making your assumption of my being a "man" in a dress incorrect. And no, the world is not obligated to learn my pronouns. They just pick them up through vibes.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2022, 02:46:29 PM »

I知 not asking much. If you expect every English speaker in the world to artificially adapt their speech to fit your own definition, you should at least be clear on what that definition is.

But who is "you"? Me specifically? The transgender community at-large? All pro-trans rights advocates? What specifically is not clear to you?

There does not need to be a unanimous consensus among these communities. Rarely is there ever a unanimous consensus among identity groups.

If you want to wear a dress, I have no problem with that. You're still a man in a dress. If you think the world is obligated to learn your personal pronouns, you need to check your privilege.

2/10 attempt at a troll response.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2022, 03:01:27 PM »

But who is "you"? Me specifically? The transgender community at-large? All pro-trans rights advocates? What specifically is not clear to you?

There does not need to be a unanimous consensus among these communities. Rarely is there ever a unanimous consensus among identity groups.

I知 talking to you. There is no definition of gender that you can give me that would be generally accepted even within activist circles. Thus I am under no obligation to constantly adapt my use of language to appease whichever faction I am speaking to at any given time.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2022, 03:08:33 PM »

I知 talking to you. There is no definition of gender that you can give me that would be generally accepted even within activist circles. Thus I am under no obligation to constantly adapt my use of language to appease whichever faction I am speaking to at any given time.

Isn't there though?
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2022, 03:10:40 PM »

I'm sorry that your experiencing a level of discomfort with your own body that makes you feel the need to pretend you're something you're not, but your discomfort does not change biological reality.
You're right, my discomfort with how I spent the first portion of my life does not change biological reality. But the estrogen pills I've been taking for four years now sure as hell do (not as much as I'd like, but they've changed it plenty, and they are, in fact, why most of my discomfort around the subject has been more existential than physical)! Anyway, I agree. Pretending I'm something I'm not is so 2018. I'm much happier now, in 2022, now that I don't have to do that.

If you have sexual relations with a man, that man is not straight by any message of logic or reason because you are also a man.
Good thing I'm more interested in sexual relations with women. Like your mom, for instance. She found that she, too, was not straight by any message of logic or reason because I am a woman.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2022, 03:15:33 PM »

On the "Manatees" thing, as someone who has worked in preschools before, it's common for individual classrooms to have themes, like bees or dinosaurs or whatever. That seems to be what's going on here.

Isn't there though?

To be fair, there are two definitions: gender roles and gender identity. These are two important concepts that often get conflated.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2022, 04:16:18 PM »

My definition of gender (vs sex) is pretty much the progressive consensus, so I don't really know what you're referring to here.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2022, 04:29:34 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2022, 09:23:44 PM by The Dowager Mod »

This is hateful and disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2022, 04:31:23 PM »

My definition of gender (vs sex) is pretty much the progressive consensus, so I don't really know what you're referring to here.

Then define it.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2022, 04:55:11 PM »

Clearly you also identify as a junior highschooler.
I see I struck a nerve. But please, check my posting history; you will find that I have a strong record of condemning transageism. Just because my sense of humor is stupid doesn't mean I "identify" as anything but the grown-ass woman I am.
Just stay out of the girls' locker rooms, because in spite of your self delusion, you are a grown ass man and will be arrested for exposing yourself to minors.
Estrogen is a delusion.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2022, 05:06:41 PM »

Then define it.

In the simplest terms:

sex: what your chromosomes say

When there's a mismatch between what the chromosomes say and what the brain says, this is called gender dysphoria.

There are many ways to cure gender dysphoria, one of which can be hormone therapy and/or gender-affirming therapy.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2022, 05:08:14 PM »

"some boys have bodies that can have babies"
"my grown-ups made a guess that I was a girl" (they guessed wrong)

These are not things teachers should be confusing preschoolers with but it's now considered good and normal in our educational culture. It's perfectly fine to publicly criticize it without sharing the name of the school or the teacher.

With all due respect, you don't really know what you're talking about. (And to be fair, why would you, as a non-father?) "Preschoolers" can handle things like that just fine.

You realize that many trans people have families who care about them and support them, families that may include small children? And that those children might tell their schoolmates about their family members?

I've been a child myself, have worked with kids, and have studied child development. So yeah I think I know what I'm talking about enough to have a legitimate concern about what this does to a child's ability to make sense of themselves and their trust of their own and their parents' ability to know basic things about them like whether they are a boy or a girl.

Parents don't have the ability to magically know their children's gender identity, genius. What other demographics do you want to ban from having any contact with children?

You're right, it's not magic.

I don't want to ban anyone from having contact with children, just asking they try to do it without spreading b.s.
A trans person getting pregnant is clearly not bs

A trans person getting pregnant is a biological female presumably identifying themselves as a trans man.  That's NOT bs.  Perhaps, someday, science will accomplish the feat of enabling a biological male to have a child or to fully convert a biological male into a fully biological female.  We're not their yet, and that isn't bs either.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2022, 05:10:11 PM »

Remember in Deep Space Nine when Quark turned into a woman for an episode?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2022, 05:12:54 PM »

A trans person getting pregnant is a biological female presumably identifying themselves as a trans man.  That's NOT bs.  Perhaps, someday, science will accomplish the feat of enabling a biological male to have a child or to fully convert a biological male into a fully biological female.  We're not their yet, and that isn't bs either.

You guys keep doubling down on this point as if we're making the claim that trans men are biological men, but nobody here is making that argument.

If you're going to try and argue with us, respond to the arguments that we're actually making.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2022, 05:14:14 PM »

Then define it.

In the simplest terms:

sex: what your chromosomes say

When there's a mismatch between what the chromosomes say and what the brain says, this is called gender dysphoria.

There are many ways to cure gender dysphoria, one of which can be hormone therapy and/or gender-affirming therapy.

Two questions: Is there any relationship between the two? And is gender socialized or is it innate?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2022, 05:16:56 PM »

You guys keep doubling down on this point as if we're making the claim that trans men are biological men, but nobody here is making that argument.

If you're going to try and argue with us, respond to the arguments that we're actually making.

That's my response, and you can't refute it because it's a truth that bears repeating.

The insinuation that men can have babies is false and has no place in preschool.  Indeed, any discussion of the trans issue whatsoever has no place in preschool. 
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2022, 05:26:00 PM »

I don't even understand what "living as a man" or "living as a woman" is supposed to mean. Other than perhaps "traditional" gender roles or marriage (neither of which are particularly restrictive these days, which is fine with me), the only thing distinguishing ways in which men and women live different lives these days are precisely the biological things like having periods or children.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2022, 05:31:44 PM »

The insinuation that men can have babies is false and has no place in preschool.  Indeed, any discussion of the trans issue whatsoever has no place in preschool. 
So, what, should the teacher be fired? Should he have to lie about his pregnancy?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2022, 05:39:50 PM »

Is there any relationship between the two? Well, the overwhelming majority of people are cisgender and do not experience gender dysphoria, so there can be a relationship, but that's not necessarily the case for everyone.

A little bit of both.

Gender is, to some extent, innate, because otherwise gender dysphoria wouldn't be a thing; however, gender is also, to some extent, a result of socialization, because otherwise we wouldn't see cultural differences in gender roles.

Dysphoria can manifest for multiple reasons - some of which may be due to body dysmorphia. A trans woman wants bottom surgery to get rid of her penis. A trans man wants top surgery to get rid of his breasts. People with XY chromosomes having a penis as a reproductive organ is a biological reality (excluding intersex people and a few other rare occasions), just as people with XX chromosomes having a vagina/uterus/breasts capable of producing milk is a biological reality. So for many people, having bodies that do not match their brain's gender is gender dysphoria.

So that's a form of gender dysphoria that exists completely independently of any social constructs. Everything I said in the above paragraph is based on the body not matching the brain.

There ARE of course gender roles which are not part of our biological nature. There's nothing in our biology that says women must have long hair and wear dresses or that men must have short hair and wear pants. But of course, many societies (especially Western society) insisted on this standard.

Now of course many people discover that they are transgender when they realize that they feel more comfortable behaving in a way that is traditionally assigned to people of the opposite sex, and the body dysphoria comes later. People are very complex and there's no hard fast rule about what "order" gender dysphoria has to happen. For many it starts by a little boy putting on their mom's makeup/dress or a little girl insisting on being the dad when she and another girl play "house". Of course, someone may do either of those things and still be cisgender. And that's okay too.

Human beings are complicated, and while there are patterns, there are very rarely hard and fast rules.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2022, 05:45:55 PM »

Remember in Deep Space Nine when Quark turned into a woman for an episode?

ACTING Grand Nagus!!!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2022, 06:15:10 PM »

So, what, should the teacher be fired? Should he have to lie about his pregnancy?

It's not a topic for preschool.  And, yes, preschool teachers are rightly limited as to the topics they speak about, given the age of the children.  This is not a topic that preschool children need to address in a preschool setting.

These are preschool children, not little adults.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2022, 06:18:35 PM »

It's not a topic for preschool.  And, yes, preschool teachers are rightly limited as to the topics they speak about, given the age of the children.  This is not a topic that preschool children need to address in a preschool setting.

That doesn't answer my question. Should this teacher be fired for being transgender (and thus warping their little four-year-old brains) or not?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2022, 07:03:08 PM »

The insinuation that men can have babies is false and has no place in preschool.  Indeed, any discussion of the trans issue whatsoever has no place in preschool.  

It's not a topic for preschool.  And, yes, preschool teachers are rightly limited as to the topics they speak about, given the age of the children.  This is not a topic that preschool children need to address in a preschool setting.

That doesn't answer my question. Should this teacher be fired for being transgender (and thus warping their little four-year-old brains) or not?

Not for "just being trans".  That doesn't mean that the person gets to say whatever they wish to say or share whatever they wish to share.  If they provide TMI and get fired, my advise to such a person is to learn some self-control on your next job.

And, just to be clear, preschools should not be teaching "gender-fluidity".  There are boys and there are girls when you are that age.  The interest of the children come before the interest of preschool employees, period.  If that's hard on the trans person, so be it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies