Democrats and Republicans Both Seen as Too Extreme
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 02:30:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats and Republicans Both Seen as Too Extreme
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Democrats and Republicans Both Seen as Too Extreme  (Read 1975 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2022, 09:42:54 PM »

Republicans: only elections we win are legitimate and if we don't win we're going to shoot people and we're going to have forced birth and we're going to force kids to learn about Christopher Columbus (just the good stuff) but not that racism exists

Democrats: sometimes you have to call someone by their preferred pronouns and maybe a few more people can have health care

Moderates: these are the same

I've never understood why so many leftists (and right wingers for that matter) think 'Moderates' and 'Centrists' are the worst political affiliation.

The simple middle is just an arbitrary line that is malleable to goalpost shifting as opposed to any actual principle.

It pretty much means they stand in the way of everything and anything.

And the current crop of Centrists just aren't like Rockefeller, Nixon, Eisenhower, or Ford either.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2022, 09:53:11 PM »

More evidence that Democrats need to work on their communication skills.  Democrats ARE closer to the American mainstream (heck, SOUTH DAKOTA voters voted to increase the minimum wage!).  Part of the problem is that many voters don’t understand the parties’ positions, especially on economic issues, but it’s also a huge problem that Republicans shout “Democrats want to make everyone gay and transgender and encourage more abortions and teach your kids that all white people are evil and cancel everything you love,” and Democrats don’t know how to effectively respond.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2022, 06:02:18 AM »

I do believe, and I do say, that Democrats and Republicans equally share the blame for politicizing the Supreme Court. They share the tendency to appoint mediocre jurists, who tend to fit the parties' ideological preferences, to the highest court. Both parties have forgotten that the Supreme Court is supposed to be made up of the most highly objective interpreters of law that can be found in the country.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2022, 08:42:28 AM »

This is a thread where Atlas is really showing how much of a Democrat echo-chamber it is LOL

Atlas:  "Democrats couldn't POSSIBLY be extreme!  They agree with all MY positions!"
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2022, 08:46:57 AM »

More evidence that Democrats need to work on their communication skills.  Democrats ARE closer to the American mainstream (heck, SOUTH DAKOTA voters voted to increase the minimum wage!).

I guess the problem for you is that voters and politicians have positions on issues other than the minimum wage.  LOL

Republicans shout “Democrats want to make everyone gay and transgender and encourage more abortions and teach your kids that all white people are evil and cancel everything you love,” and Democrats don’t know how to effectively respond.

Democrats can't respond because those kinds of people do exist in the DPUSA, and the party apparatus has to cover for them. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2022, 08:56:45 AM »

Republicans: only elections we win are legitimate and if we don't win we're going to shoot people and we're going to have forced birth and we're going to force kids to learn about Christopher Columbus (just the good stuff) but not that racism exists

Democrats: sometimes you have to call someone by their preferred pronouns and maybe a few more people can have health care

Moderates: these are the same

I've never understood why so many leftists (and right wingers for that matter) think 'Moderates' and 'Centrists' are the worst political affiliation.

The simple middle is just an arbitrary line that is malleable to goalpost shifting as opposed to any actual principle.

It pretty much means they stand in the way of everything and anything.

And the current crop of Centrists just aren't like Rockefeller, Nixon, Eisenhower, or Ford either.

So are we talking about Centrism becoming the "No" caucus or a simple mathematical relic?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2022, 08:59:34 AM »

This is a thread where Atlas is really showing how much of a Democrat echo-chamber it is LOL

Atlas:  "Democrats couldn't POSSIBLY be extreme!  They agree with all MY positions!"

Many posters on here genuinely believe that Democrats are the morally upright and only legitimate political party, and that Republicans are an illegitimate party that is fascist, authoritarian, and anti-American. The poll referred to in this thread certainly demonstrates how far apart this forum's members are from the majority of Americans, in terms of how they view the world.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2022, 11:31:45 AM »

Many posters on here genuinely believe that Democrats are the morally upright and only legitimate political party, and that Republicans are an illegitimate party that is fascist, authoritarian, and anti-American. The poll referred to in this thread certainly demonstrates how far apart this forum's members are from the majority of Americans, in terms of how they view the world.
I mean in practically every developed country, the Democratic Party would be considered normal and the Republican Party would be seen as an extremist party.

Only in this country can the Democratic Party somehow be considered "extreme"....to some people. Also, this is just one poll. One poll isn't definitive.

Furthermore, this poll didn't ask anyone if they thought that "X party was extreme or not". It just showed that some independents think that there should be more moderates in both parties. What a surprise!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2022, 11:49:10 AM »

More evidence that Democrats need to work on their communication skills.  Democrats ARE closer to the American mainstream (heck, SOUTH DAKOTA voters voted to increase the minimum wage!).

I guess the problem for you is that voters and politicians have positions on issues other than the minimum wage.  LOL

Republicans shout “Democrats want to make everyone gay and transgender and encourage more abortions and teach your kids that all white people are evil and cancel everything you love,” and Democrats don’t know how to effectively respond.

Democrats can't respond because those kinds of people do exist in the DPUSA, and the party apparatus has to cover for them. 

It’s not just minimum wage.  My state’s voters also rejected abortion ban passed by legislature and we’ll probably vote to expand Medicaid, which Republican politicians oppose.

Anyway, suggesting that the hypothetical people I described are even a significant part of the Democratic Party is ridiculous.  Even if they exist, they’re insignificant.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2022, 01:52:25 PM »

I mean in practically every developed country, the Democratic Party would be considered normal and the Republican Party would be seen as an extremist party.

Only in this country can the Democratic Party somehow be considered "extreme"....to some people. Also, this is just one poll. One poll isn't definitive.

Furthermore, this poll didn't ask anyone if they thought that "X party was extreme or not". It just showed that some independents think that there should be more moderates in both parties. What a surprise!

Obviously, this is only one poll, but it is not just this poll that leads me to the conclusion that there is a considerable divergence in opinion between this forum and the real world. Moreover, it is specifically noted that voters are "just as likely to view the Democratic Party as extreme as [they] are the Republican Party."
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2022, 02:39:59 PM »

If school funding and education was better in America, more people would learn critical thinking skills in school and would therefore be more likely to open up their eyes to this. Republicans know this, and it's one of the reasons they promote private schooling and defunding public schools (along with other reasons).
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2022, 02:42:03 PM »

If school funding and education was better in America, more people would learn critical thinking skills in school and would therefore be more likely to open up their eyes to this. Republicans know this, and it's one of the reasons they promote private schooling and defunding public schools (along with other reasons).

That's a big generalization to make seeing as if some of the top schools at least where I live anyway, are Private.

Jesuit High School in Sacramento is very high quality. So is Christian Brothers and St Francis.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2022, 02:54:19 PM »

1. This is way overblown. In Canada Harper basically governed like a Republican Lite PM and lasted 10 years and their current leader is someone who won by running against vax mandates, on firing a whole bunch of gov employees and on taking on woke institutions . He is also leading in the polls right now and in Alberta their new conservative leader is someone who ran on outright nullifying federal laws which is even further than the GOP goes

In Europe you have seen for the past decade the rise of the populist right and the european populist right make the GOP look like liberals on issues like immigration.

2. Making a direct issue by issue comparison makes zero sense given that US culture has always been way more individualistic than Western Europe/Canada and for a long time way more religious as well.

If you put politicians like Harper, Poilievre , Truss, Cameron, May here, they would not be much different from the GOP either on the issues.

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2022, 02:55:03 PM »

That's a big generalization to make seeing as if some of the top schools at least where I live anyway, are Private.

Jesuit High School in Sacramento is very high quality. So is Christian Brothers and St Francis.

I'm saying that Republicans are trying to destroy public schools and make private school the only way to be properly educated.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2022, 02:57:18 PM »

I'm saying that Republicans are trying to destroy public schools and make private school the only way to be properly educated.

And they won't probably pass the smell test to enter a top tier private school to begin with.

That's my point.

Conservatives say Public schools are so woke and all..

Private schools are even MORE WOKE.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2022, 02:57:41 PM »

1. This is way overblown. In Canada Harper basically governed like a Republican Lite PM and lasted 10 years and their current leader is someone who won by running against vax mandates, on firing a whole bunch of gov employees and on taking on woke institutions . He is also leading in the polls right now and in Alberta their new conservative leader is someone who ran on outright nullifying federal laws which is even further than the GOP goes

In Europe you have seen for the past decade the rise of the populist right and the european populist right make the GOP look like liberals on issues like immigration.

2. Making a direct issue by issue comparison makes zero sense given that US culture has always been way more individualistic than Western Europe/Canada and for a long time way more religious as well.

If you put politicians like Harper, Poilievre , Truss, Cameron, May here, they would not be much different from the GOP either on the issues.

https://www.voanews.com/a/hungarian-prime-minister-shows-why-american-right-embraces-him/6687500.html
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2022, 02:58:07 PM »

Stephen Harper wasn't anti-democracy and was a law and order politician. Poillevre's positions on democracy and law and order are questionable at best after the Freedom Convoy occupation.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2022, 02:58:09 PM »

Yes, that's what happens when your nutjob caucus keeps getting one media puff piece after another anointing them as the new face of the party. Meanwhile, other side IS their nutjob caucus.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2022, 02:59:24 PM »

And they won't probably pass the smell test to enter a top tier private school to begin with.

That's my point.

There are left wing private schools and right wing private schools. And I suppose a whole bunch in the middle. I'm not really an expert. There are certainly private schools that are Republican-friendly, is my point.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2022, 03:03:01 PM »

That's my point.

There are left wing private schools and right wing private schools. And I suppose a whole bunch in the middle. I'm not really an expert. There are certainly private schools that are Republican-friendly, is my point.

You are right overall.

The problem is American education is so decentralized. There's no national policy in place. Education is left to the states and local governments.

And it shows.

According to the rankings, we rank 28th in mathematics, behind Mexico apparently. No wonder why we do General ed courses in College, the high schools suck ! I myself had to learn how to write a freaking essay in college. I didn't learn crap in high school.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2022, 03:03:29 PM »

Stephen Harper wasn't anti-democracy and was a law and order politician. Poillevre's positions on democracy and law and order are questionable at best after the Freedom Convoy occupation.

So are Glenn Youngkin and Ron DeSantis
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2022, 03:05:33 PM »

The Democrats are too extreme to the Right.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2022, 03:45:55 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2022, 03:50:56 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

We have a war in Ukraine, 8% inflation rate, an Endemic and what a Housing crisis what did the Inflation Act solve did it solve Housing, did it solve the Ukraine War and did it solve COVID no it didn't and DOJ hasn't made any attempts to Indict or Prosecute Donald Trump that's the issue

If Rs take over it's gonna be the same because cutting spending has nothing to do with reducing inflation, but they will be in charge and be blamed again just like Trump was blamed after he beat Hillary unexpectedly the only difference is that rich people and we're not rich on this forum won't see their taxes raised under Rs otherwise would on Ds

The Ukraine War still creates anxiety among voters we are standing idle and Russia is attacking another country I heard if we send troops into Ukraine Russia certainly can use Nukes in Ukraine but he won't set off the atom bomb that will destroy the world but we waited too long, obviously now if we send in Troops Putin may send in the atom bomb but if we send in Troops earlier he wouldn't have he would of just sent in chemical weapons because the war would have ended quickly with NATO, if I was Prez I would have sent in troops and dared Putin but Biden isn't a war hawk he prematurely withdrew from Afghanistan
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2022, 04:20:25 PM »

Nope, it's not overblown. This just tells me that all major right-wing parties in the developed world are extreme.

I think that's a fair assessment lol.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2022, 04:22:48 PM »

Nope, it's not overblown. This just tells me that all major right-wing parties in the developed world are extreme.

I think that's a fair assessment lol.
Including the Democratic Party? 😳
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies