Day 50: Isakson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:36:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Day 50: Isakson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Day 50: Isakson  (Read 2381 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2007, 03:00:57 AM »

About as good a Senator as we're ever going to get from Georgia.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 04:04:55 AM »

He's absolutely awful. However, he is still a MASSIVE improvement over his predecessor.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 04:12:11 AM »

Don't really care for him, but is quite a bit better than Miller.  Also much better than the other Senator from GA & much better than most southern republican Senators,.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 04:42:24 AM »

Don't know much about Isakson except his 2005 NJ rating was just about as conservative as Chambliss. I don't like him, so I doubt I'd particularly like Isakson

And I'm one Democrat, who'd easily prefer his predecessor, Zell Miller. Not that I'm exactly enamored with him either

Dave
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 05:25:52 AM »

A nice surprise.  Georgia elects good senators.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 06:58:56 AM »

A moderate democrat *could* be elected from Gerogia under the right circumstances, but Isakson is about the best Republican Senator Georgia has to offer- unless Linder were to have run or something.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 12:50:22 PM »

It should have been Cain...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 12:59:19 PM »

He used to be fairly libertarian, until he realized that that wouldn't get him very far in Georgia.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 01:51:27 PM »

While he's terrible, he's not as bad as the DINO he replaced.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 06:19:14 PM »

A Chambliss clone.  Which makes him a far-right theocrat with virtually nothing positive to contribute to our national conversation.

Max Cleland and Sam Nunn were both outstanding.  What has happened in Georgia is disgusting. 

You have kooky Democrats like Zell Miller and Cynthia McKinney...and near-Fascists like Isaakson and Chambliss. 
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 04:25:51 AM »

Max Cleland and Sam Nunn were both outstanding.  What has happened in Georgia is disgusting.

What on Earth did Cleland do for Georgia?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 04:31:25 AM »

Don't know much about Isakson except his 2005 NJ rating was just about as conservative as Chambliss. I don't like him, so I doubt I'd particularly like Isakson

And I'm one Democrat, who'd easily prefer his predecessor, Zell Miller. Not that I'm exactly enamored with him either

Dave

Miller had a 96 from the ACU in 04...
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 09:03:45 AM »

Zell Miller would get my vote over Isakson anyday
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 10:30:21 AM »

^^^ (other than zell miller)

i like chambliss and isakson.  sam nunn was good also.

max cleland was a lousy senator with a chip on his shoulder.  im glad he is gone.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 11:05:45 AM »

He used to be fairly libertarian, until he realized that that wouldn't get him very far in Georgia.
I wish he would return to his old ways.

He's okay overall.
merseysider
militant centrist

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 11:51:23 AM »

No real opinion. Probably not quite as reactionary as your average Southern Republican senator.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 12:24:57 PM »

Not a big fan, but he's certainly better than that pile of trash Saxby Chambliss. 

Where's Sam Nunn when you need him?  I agree it's awful, just plain awful what happened to the Georgia State Democratic Party, going from statewide domination to barely a presence. 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 12:56:33 PM »

When?  Do you mean as Secretary of State for 14 years? As a State Senator for four years or as a U.S. Senator for four years? 

One could also argue that losing three limbs for love of country also benefitted Georgia...being that Georgia is part of the country. 

But let's see.  He wrote and fought for the law that makes public places in Georgia accessible to the handicapped.  He was among the earliest Secretaries of State in the U.S. to fight telemarketing fraud.  He also fought securities scams aimed at Georgians. He established the First Stop Business Information Center, which served thousands of Georgians seeking to start small or home-based businesses. In 1995, he enacted Motor Voter in Georgia and added a million people to the voter rolls. In 1998, he was honored as "Legislator of the Year" by the Georgia Breast Cancer Coalition. He crafted legislation to make it easier for service men and women to save for their childrens' college. He voted for a litany of measures making life better for Georgians...generic drug accessibility, state-based liability limits on medical negligence, Patients' Bill of Rights, Imposing safety inspections on Mexican-made trucks in the US, protecting gay and lesbian Georgians from hate crimes, supported microloans for small businesses, etc.

You may not like his stance on some issues, but you can't question his work ethic and his passion for making America and Georgia a better place. 

His Christian testimony is also an inspiration to many people.  But I realize that's not, and should not be, a legislative concern.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 12:57:55 PM »

max cleland was a lousy senator with a chip on his shoulder.  im glad he is gone.

What on earth does Cleland have a chip on his shoulder about?  I'm really baffled by that remark.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 03:19:56 PM »

When?  Do you mean as Secretary of State for 14 years? As a State Senator for four years or as a U.S. Senator for four years? 

One could also argue that losing three limbs for love of country also benefitted Georgia...being that Georgia is part of the country. 

But let's see.  He wrote and fought for the law that makes public places in Georgia accessible to the handicapped.  He was among the earliest Secretaries of State in the U.S. to fight telemarketing fraud.  He also fought securities scams aimed at Georgians. He established the First Stop Business Information Center, which served thousands of Georgians seeking to start small or home-based businesses. In 1995, he enacted Motor Voter in Georgia and added a million people to the voter rolls. In 1998, he was honored as "Legislator of the Year" by the Georgia Breast Cancer Coalition. He crafted legislation to make it easier for service men and women to save for their childrens' college. He voted for a litany of measures making life better for Georgians...generic drug accessibility, state-based liability limits on medical negligence, Patients' Bill of Rights, Imposing safety inspections on Mexican-made trucks in the US, protecting gay and lesbian Georgians from hate crimes, supported microloans for small businesses, etc.

You may not like his stance on some issues, but you can't question his work ethic and his passion for making America and Georgia a better place. 

His Christian testimony is also an inspiration to many people.  But I realize that's not, and should not be, a legislative concern.

Nice rebuttal, but you probably should ignore HardRCafe.  He's just a hack who never really has anything meaningful to say.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 03:28:58 PM »

What on earth does Cleland have a chip on his shoulder about?  I'm really baffled by that remark.

losing his reelection race.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2007, 07:48:56 PM »

Dave

Zell Miller would still get my support over any Georgia Republican

Dave
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007, 08:56:46 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2007, 09:01:03 PM by Senator BRTD »

Dave

Dave

This is the guy Zell Miller wanted to be Lt. Gov. of Georgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO5rm1z4Smg

Therefore, the average Georgia Republican primary voter is a better person than Zell Miller, since they realized what a complete piece of human trash Ralph Reed is.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 11:22:01 PM »

Dave

This is the guy Zell Miller wanted to be Lt. Gov. of Georgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO5rm1z4Smg

Therefore, the average Georgia Republican primary voter is a better person than Zell Miller, since they realized what a complete piece of human trash Ralph Reed is.

I said Miller would get my support over any Georgia Republican, which is a very different thing from my saying Ralph Reed would get my support over any Georgia Democrat. Heck, I'd bat for Cynthia McKinney over Reed and that's saying something

Miller was a pretty good governor. I recall Howard Dean acknowledging that. Of course, there are Georgia Democrats I'd easily support over Zell. He moved too far to the right on both social and, more importantly, economic issues for my tastes

Dave
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2007, 02:28:17 AM »

Zell Miller endorsed Reed. 56% of Georgia GOP primary voters voted against Reed. That means 56% of Georgia Republicans are better people then Zell Miller. Every single person who supported Reed is complete human trash.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies