The Two Dragons: An ASOIAF Blackfyre Rebellion game (sign-up/rules/interest thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:11:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Two Dragons: An ASOIAF Blackfyre Rebellion game (sign-up/rules/interest thread)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Two Dragons: An ASOIAF Blackfyre Rebellion game (sign-up/rules/interest thread)  (Read 1053 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2022, 06:57:34 AM »
« edited: October 10, 2022, 04:17:32 PM by GoTfan »

The Two Dragons

It has been 193 years since Aegon's Conquest. Daeron II Targaryen stands as King of Westeros; his marriage to Myriah Martell finally bringing Dorne into the realm.

But not everyone is pleased.

Daemon Blackfyre, greatest of the Great Bastards of Aegon the Unworthy, is slowly morphing into the champion of Dorne's opponents.

All the while, Aegor 'Bittersteel' and Brynden 'Bloodraven' play out their deadly game over Shiera Seastar, and in the North, the Starks of Winterfell face down a Skagosi Rebellion

Notes: hello everyone and welcome to my second attempt at hosting an ASOIAF game. Since I seem to be better at managing things than playing them, and given my deep interest in the Blackfyres, this is my humble contribution to the scene. This is mainly here to show interest, claim characters and brief everyone on the rules. Speaking of rules, we're using the ones from A Feast For Crows, but with something a little . . . extra due to the nature of the First Blackfyre Rebellion.

Rules:

Most of you know the basic rules. You will roleplay as a character (such as a lord or even a king) in the First Blackfyre Rebellion, just over 100 years before the beginning of the books and show. The game is obviously centred on Daeron Targaryen and Daemon Blackfyre, but there are mechanics for everyone involved. Unlike other games, there is a clear objective here: whoever sits on the Iron Throne must destroy their enemies so utterly that they can no longer represent a threat.You will command armies, pass sentences, enact laws, send ravens and messengers, take part in high level intrigue, rule your realms and, of course, react to the many issues and crisis I will have in store for you.

Turns: Instead of having closed turns, a given number of days (ideally no more than a week) will constitute 4 months in the calendar, after which military moves will be immediately calculated in order to get a better grasp of warfare. This means we will try to avoid the old scheme of arranged turns with a concrete number of player crisis, and change it to player events or POV’s that will appear from time to time and force you into making decisions. A limited time also means negotiations won’t be as seamless as before, given consequences to delays or too much hesitation. You can make public declarations, but your moves must come via PM. There will be midturn updates as wellAll communication between players, OOC or IC, must include me.

Assassination and Spies: A new system for the game, players can send one spy per turn to a given region or city. Spies can get caught, but if successful they’ll give you key information that might prove crucial. Assassinations have been a large part of these games, but often they are abused. For that reason, Faceless Men are off the table. Assassinations are restricted to a single attempt per turn, with a very high risk of getting captured (if so, you are barred from sending assassins for the next turn). The idea is not to make assassination impossible, but to make it a truly high-risk, high-reward move for complicated situations. I may or may not leak moves regarding armies as well, to simulate scouting in real life.

Stats: We will work with GD (gold dragons, the amount of money you have), Prestige (of your character, a loss damages NPC negotiation and simulation), Legitimacy (how respected he is on his current position or rank, a loss brings severe trouble with vassals and allies). Please mind your stats; they can be determinant at dice rolls, vassal relationship and NPC negotiations.

Alliances and vassals: The nature of the Blackfyre Rebellion saw much of Daemon's support come from secondary houses, such as the Reynes and Yronwoods. To mimic this in game, I have attempted to implement a system by which the great lords and kings can keep their supporters in line behind them. If and when war breaks out, this will determine how many men you can bring to the fight, as well as defining your strategic situation. You can bring supporters to your side through favours, appointments, gifts, and marriage.

Roleplaying: I will be enforcing roleplaying. That doesn’t mean I will force all the players into a corner, but I can cancel orders that are too out of character or out of place. To use an exmaple, Aegor Bittersteel will not be making common cause with Brynden Bloodraven

Simulation: Battles will be calculated by dice rolls. Higher number wins, margin between rolls determines the level of victory. Additional dice will be added for variables, such as force sizes, terrain, and commander skill.

Special Events: Interaction between the players should be a large part into the game, I will try to make interactive events to emphasize roleplay and allow for a more thorough immersion. There will be Small Council meetings every month IG, just as there may be Weddings, Parleys, Tournaments, Great Councils, and so forth. Likewise, if the players wish for me to simulate a particular event, do let me know. The more we roleplay, I think, the better for the game.

Sellswords and Sellsails: They will be available on this game as companies, both land and naval. They can be recruited in Essos via sending an envoy (to negotiate a contract), from turn two on, and they take a certain time to reach Westeros. A list of companies and prices will be up, with the better known in the Books and Series as the most prestigious and powerful ones. You will be able to choose between Sellsword companies, cavalry companies, and sellsail fleets. The exception to this rule is the Golden Company

Key characters (must be filled:)

King Daeron Targaryen (Dkrol)

Ser Daemon Blackfyre (Orwell)

Prince Baelor 'Breakspear' Targaryen

Ser Aegor 'Bittersteel' Rivers

Ser Brynden 'Bloodraven' Rivers (RGM2609)

Semi-key characters (not priority:)

Ser Quentyn Ball (Lumine)

Prince Maron Martell of Dorne

Lord Paramount Damon Lannister of the Westerlands

Lord Paramount Leo Tyrell of the Reach

Lord Paramount Barthogan Stark of the North

Lord Paramount Donnell Arryn of the Vale

Prince Maekar Targaryen

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 12:00:48 PM »

As long as I would love to participate, I don't have the Time to play two gales simultaneously haha
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 05:30:26 PM »

I would like to play as Daeron, assuming you want me as a player - for disclosure GOTFan and I have been speaking via PM about establishing the game and working through a few questions.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 07:50:02 PM »

Count me in!

I request Ser Quentyn Ball.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 08:44:08 PM »

I would like to play as Daeron, assuming you want me as a player - for disclosure GOTFan and I have been speaking via PM about establishing the game and working through a few questions.

Count me in!

I request Ser Quentyn Ball.

Both granted!

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 11:51:05 AM »

As the true heir to King Aegon IV, who he bestowed the sword of Aegon the Conquerer there is only one man fit to serve the Iron Throne, Daemon Blackfyre, the First of His name. I'd like to claim Daemon.

Please ignore that canonically Daemon had no real interest in the Iron Throne until Fireball and Bittersteel got mad at Daeron/Brynden for not naming him to the Kingsguard and stealing his girl
RGM2609
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 12:54:24 PM »

Can I have Ser Brynden Rivers?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 04:23:52 PM »

As the true heir to King Aegon IV, who he bestowed the sword of Aegon the Conquerer there is only one man fit to serve the Iron Throne, Daemon Blackfyre, the First of His name. I'd like to claim Daemon.

Please ignore that canonically Daemon had no real interest in the Iron Throne until Fireball and Bittersteel got mad at Daeron/Brynden for not naming him to the Kingsguard and stealing his girl

Granted, but you dare to name Maester Yandel a liar?

Welcome!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 05:01:13 PM »

Bastard
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 05:51:35 PM »

If anyone knows anyone else who might be interested, plase don;t hesitate to contact them or me. We do need to fill Breakspear and Bittersteel at least before we start.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 05:55:39 PM »

Sadly, I'm neither familiar with Game of Thrones, nor much of a fan of the franchise, to have much interest in this one.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 03:14:24 AM »

This sounds fun.

However, I fear I lack too much knowledge of the Blackfyre Rebellion Lore to be truly effective.

Happy to give it a shot, if you need people to make this viable.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2022, 08:46:40 AM »

This sounds fun.

However, I fear I lack too much knowledge of the Blackfyre Rebellion Lore to be truly effective.

That would be most welcome. I'll send a PM with some details on the two characters that are required
RGM2609
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2022, 09:58:31 AM »

This sounds fun.

That would be most welcome. I'll send a PM with some details on the two characters that are required
If you can do that for my character too I'd really appreciate it. I am also quite new to this
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2022, 09:25:18 AM »

RGM, Muad'dib, I've sent the primers.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2022, 09:31:42 AM »

I think a good character for someone that isn't really super knowledgeable about the time period, but has a decent understanding of the Thrones universe would be Leo Tyrell, one of the best military men of this time period.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Leo_Tyrell_(Longthorn)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2022, 01:36:46 AM »

Alright, we will start with a reduced roster. Give me 48 hours and we will begin.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2022, 05:00:50 AM »

Well, this was a misfire on my part.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2022, 03:37:46 AM »

Wanted to apologize for my absence, have been focused elsewhere - indeed, I only finished updating my own game last night -. For what is worth, I am still interested in playing and have even got some ideas in mind for a POV, just wasn't able to before.

If I can offer a comment - hoping GoTFan still has interest to host - I do think the setting may have revealed some limitations in terms of people aware of the lore, and it is difficult to start a game in a world as rich as ASOIAF with a lower number of people. The Blackfyre Rebellion is fascinating, but the info is limited since we don't yet have Fire and Blood vol. 2, and that may be a problem.

May I recommend, perhaps, switching the setting to either of the two shows (so the Dance or the War of the Five Kings) to ensure we get more people on board?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2022, 04:21:29 AM »

Wanted to apologize for my absence, have been focused elsewhere - indeed, I only finished updating my own game last night -. For what is worth, I am still interested in playing and have even got some ideas in mind for a POV, just wasn't able to before.

If I can offer a comment - hoping GoTFan still has interest to host - I do think the setting may have revealed some limitations in terms of people aware of the lore, and it is difficult to start a game in a world as rich as ASOIAF with a lower number of people. The Blackfyre Rebellion is fascinating, but the info is limited since we don't yet have Fire and Blood vol. 2, and that may be a problem.

May I recommend, perhaps, switching the setting to either of the two shows (so the Dance or the War of the Five Kings) to ensure we get more people on board?

I am almost going to certainly attempt a Dance of the Dragons game early in the new year, maybe sooner, if there is enough interest.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2022, 02:03:25 AM »

Sorry mate, I just realised my reply to your DM was unsent due to my login being timed out. So I am in part to blame. But i'm not sure it would have got us over the line regarless.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2022, 08:06:51 PM »

Sorry mate, I just realised my reply to your DM was unsent due to my login being timed out. So I am in part to blame. But i'm not sure it would have got us over the line regarless.

Blame is on no one. I am starting a Dance of the Dragons game soon.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2022, 04:31:21 AM »

Blame is on no one. I am starting a Dance of the Dragons game soon.

With HOTD on, that one will hold more interest
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies