When will South Carolina turn blue? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:54:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will South Carolina turn blue? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When will South Carolina turn blue?  (Read 4222 times)
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« on: October 05, 2022, 10:21:36 AM »

I'm not holding my breath for the NYT piece declaring Spartanburg the new Place To Be for the young and in the know.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 02:06:18 PM »

It's hard to say for sure, since there currently aren't that many swing voters in this state. Geographically speaking, Democrats need to make significant inroads in Upstate SC in order to be competitive statewide (for example, under the current political alignment, a hypothetical Democratic statewide win would involve them not losing Greenville County by more than 8 points or so).

This is correct, but obligatory pedantic point that this region is the "Upcountry", not "upstate" (much like Charleston and coastal environs are the "Lowcountry"). Source: my undergrad advisor was South Carolinian

The Upcountry has always been whiter and more industrialized than the rest of the state, as is immediately apparent in any election map from about 1948 to 1968 having Democratic strength concentrated among mill workers and hill people, but within the old Southern agrarian focus and lack of real industrial policy (now compounded by Taft-Hartley et al) there was not much of a labor movement to speak of nor any opportunity for them to advance their goals. Post-Reagan and all those realignments later it then became a center of outsourcing by East Asian industrial corporations who somewhat revitalized this aspect of its history, but again within a context of barren labor protections now doubly so in which the industrial workers are/were content as lumpenproles getting swept along by resentment politics as opposed to their material interests. And of course Southern racialized suburban resentment is in full swing here, especially in Spartanburg.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies