How do Brazilian Americans vote, given they voted 55-31 for Bolsonaro?

(1/2) > >>

David Hume:
I am not sure how many of them are American citizen, and how many American citizens voted in the Brazilian election. But this seems to suggest that they are only second to Cuban American among the Latino voters.

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom:
People who cast votes in Brazilian elections vs Brazilian-Americans probably vote quite differently.

Mr. Ukucasha:
From what I've heard, a lot of Brazilian Americans love Bolsonaro but vote for Democrats, including Hillary and Biden, in America. Sort of like how many Indian-Americans love Modi and the BJP but vote for Democrats in America, including Hillary and Biden. They love nationalism in their home countries, but are far more negative towards it in a country where they are immigrants and in the minority.

100% pro-life no matter what:
I also thought it was interesting that Brazilian voters in Miami and Atlanta voted overwhelmingly for Bolsonaro, while Lula won in DC and San Francisco.  I wonder if there's some sort of self-sorting effect going on.

Oryxslayer:
Quote from: Mr. Ukucasha on October 03, 2022, 12:49:47 AM

From what I've heard, a lot of Brazilian Americans love Bolsonaro but vote for Democrats, including Hillary and Biden, in America. Sort of like how many Indian-Americans love Modi and the BJP but vote for Democrats in America, including Hillary and Biden. They love nationalism in their home countries, but are far more negative towards it in a country where they are immigrants and in the minority.

This is not unusual. Those Salvadorian polls that suggest Bukele is loved near universally? Speak with any (D voting) Salvadorian-American, as I have done on occasion back in CA, and everyone sings his praises.

There is a phenomenon that occurs after immigration, where the immigrant after getting subsumed by the foreign culture, makes their past nationality a more prominent part of their present identity. This is often because since everything changes when you uproot your life, one needs a constant, and that past nationality is not going to change. It offers a way to distinguish oneself, a way to find others in similar situations and make friends, and a foundation to begin to build a new life from.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page