Which posters take jokes too seriously?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:48:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which posters take jokes too seriously?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which posters take jokes too seriously?  (Read 1018 times)
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2022, 10:08:37 AM »
« edited: October 02, 2022, 11:18:42 AM by VBM »

Of the top of my head, S019, Fuzzy Bear, Ferguson97, and OSR come to mind, but I know that there are many other posters here who take everything too seriously. S019 probably tops the list though.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 11:03:30 AM »

Wait are you talking about people who take everything too seriously or have a "dry" sense of humor, because those are two very different things. I don't see the posters you mentioned as having much of a sense of humor at all, dry or otherwise.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 11:12:59 AM »

I can have a very dry (i.e. very sarcastic and sardonic) humor style when I want to, but that doesn't seem to be what this thread is about.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 11:17:44 AM »

Wait are you talking about people who take everything too seriously or have a "dry" sense of humor, because those are two very different things. I don't see the posters you mentioned as having much of a sense of humor at all, dry or otherwise.
I guess they’re not exactly the same, but I would say there’s a very high correlation. People who have a dry sense of humor tend to take things too seriously. But for the purposes of this thread, who are the Atlasians who take everything way too seriously?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 11:25:50 AM »

I think of dry humor as humorous sarcasm.

Sarcasm is often not funny, but when it is funny it is quite good.

My favorite example is Bob Newhart as Dick Loudon.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 11:29:20 AM »

I guess they’re not exactly the same, but I would say there’s a very high correlation. People who have a dry sense of humor tend to take things too seriously. But for the purposes of this thread, who are the Atlasians who take everything way too seriously?

When I think "dry" sense of humor, I think of like a sarcastic, deadpan style that's popular in British comedy for example. I don't think lacking one entirely.

Anyway, you already mentioned Ferguson and Fuzzy who are some of the first to come to mind for taking everything too seriously IMO. Can't really think of other obvious examples off the top of my head.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 11:42:23 AM »

Comparing Ferguson to Fuzzy is funny in itself, since the two are so far apart in their opinions.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 11:47:44 AM »

When I think "dry" sense of humor, I think of like a sarcastic, deadpan style that's popular in British comedy for example. I don't think lacking one entirely.

Anyway, you already mentioned Ferguson and Fuzzy who are some of the first to come to mind for taking everything too seriously IMO. Can't really think of other obvious examples off the top of my head.
OSR is just like Fuzzy in that both of them get extremely offended whenever someone makes a lighthearted joke about them, and they’ll usually follow up with a post thoroughly explaining why they do not believe what the joke says they believe. Also, I don’t think I’ve ever seen OSR or Fuzzy try to make a joke. Sure, some of their takes are hilarious, but those don’t count since they didn’t intend for them to be funny.

GMac is also like this, but at least I’ve seen him make jokes before.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 11:49:28 AM »

Comparing Ferguson to Fuzzy is funny in itself, since the two are so far apart in their opinions.

Opposite opinions does not necessarily imply opposite personalities/senses of humor.

Or, to put it another way, just because you're on the left or right doesn't mean you can't have a stick lodged up your ass.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 11:51:39 AM »

Ferguson believes that anyone who makes a joke about race, sex, gender, religion, etc. deserves to be fired immediately from their job (unless the joke is about white people, straight people, males, or Christians ofc). Although they have opposing political beliefs, both of them take jokes way too seriously
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2022, 11:56:45 AM »

S019
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2022, 12:52:35 PM »

Me. I was hurt by a sarcastic remark over my lack of knowledge about Bronz, and often fail to understand jokes by my relatives
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2022, 01:33:04 PM »

Fuzzy and OSR don’t. That is a lie, I have mocked them plenty of times.

The real ones who do take things too seriously are often green avatars actually. Technically Calthrina is the biggest culprit, but I think he admits he has trouble knowing what is and isn’t a joke and it’s not out of arrogance but actual inability so I think that should be noted. TimTurner is like this but to a much lesser extent.
MarkD is another example on the top of my head who genuinely comes off as pompous.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2022, 01:34:23 PM »

OSR is just like Fuzzy in that both of them get extremely offended whenever someone makes a lighthearted joke about them, and they’ll usually follow up with a post thoroughly explaining why they do not believe what the joke says they believe. Also, I don’t think I’ve ever seen OSR or Fuzzy try to make a joke. Sure, some of their takes are hilarious, but those don’t count since they didn’t intend for them to be funny.

Fuzzy is honestly a good sport, his problem is that sometimes he is too thick to even know it is a joke.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2022, 01:47:07 PM »

Sometimes people might think me, but that’s because I’m often very deadpan when expressing humor (though at times it might have seemed like I missed a joke, but now I’m usually able to tell if someone is joking).

Anyway, anyone who dislikes olawakandi takes things too seriously.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2022, 01:48:56 PM »

Our secular king sometimes does.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2022, 02:07:02 PM »

OSR made a joke once - he created a thread saying he admitted 2000 was stolen, and it was just hilarious clickbait, since he was referring to some basketball game rather than the presidential election of that year.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2022, 02:17:25 PM »

Yes but that’s a part of his shtick
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2022, 03:38:07 PM »

YE, Virginía, texasgurl, and Mr. X come to mind.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2022, 05:26:26 PM »

Me
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2022, 05:53:00 PM »

BRTD certainly didn't care for when 'South Park' poked fun at 'Family Guy.'
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2022, 10:34:06 PM »

If the king dictates that a "joke" is not such, so be it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2022, 04:03:16 AM »

I guess they’re not exactly the same, but I would say there’s a very high correlation. People who have a dry sense of humor tend to take things too seriously.

Quite the opposite. They are often mistaken for being serious when joking a good portion of the time. That, I do not believe, is a category that encapsulates the names you have mentioned, but who knows, maybe we're the dupes.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2022, 09:43:37 AM »

Pollsters take polls literally and Ds won AK and NY 19 they say on MSNBC not Fox news to take polls with a grain of salt because the oversample not enough minorities or single persons too many married persons, whatever you can see when they under poll Ds it will be different if we lost AK and NY but we won them, users have short term memory because they only look at JA

As I said our Senate and Gov candidates are always stronger than H because we lost 60 seats in 2010 and kept 53 Senators

I think Rachel Maddow, Chrisa Matthews in 2012 said that take R polls with a grain of salt that's why I am not changing FL to Lean R because of Hurricane Ian he
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2022, 12:44:06 PM »

YE, Virginía, texasgurl, and Mr. X come to mind.

Putting Hitler in your sig is hardly a joke.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies