Which Candidate to defeat an Incumbent President over the last 50 years ran the Best Campaign?

<< < (3/3)

President Johnson:
Am I a hack when I say Biden? Clinton had more fundamentals going in his favor on election day, especially that he was running to prevent a fourth Republican term. Meanwhile, Biden ousted an incumbent after a single four year term of the party (only other time that happened post-1900 was in 1980, when Reagan beat Carter after a single Democratic term) with the most votes ever recorded by far. At least Biden's win was more impressive, since it's also the first time since 1932 a party lost a trifecta to another trifecta in just four years.

In terms of campaign operation and speeches, Clinton was better because he's more charismatic than Biden. He's only topped by Obama in that category (Reagan still on that league as well).

dw93:
Quote from: President Johnson on October 02, 2022, 03:11:10 PM

Am I a hack when I say Biden? Clinton had more fundamentals going in his favor on election day, especially that he was running to prevent a fourth Republican term. Meanwhile, Biden ousted an incumbent after a single four year term of the party (only other time that happened post-1900 was in 1980, when Reagan beat Carter after a single Democratic term) with the most votes ever recorded by far. At least Biden's win was more impressive, since it's also the first time since 1932 a party lost a trifecta to another trifecta in just four years.

In terms of campaign operation and speeches, Clinton was better because he's more charismatic than Biden. He's only topped by Obama in that category (Reagan still on that league as well).

You're not a hack but I still disagree with you about Biden having the best campaign. Even if there was a lack of presence on the campaign trial due to COVID, there was so much more than just Trump's poor COVID handling and bigotry to work with and use in terms of defeating Trump and I don't think the Biden campaign effectively used it.

Progressive Pessimist:
Clinton, no doubt. Sure, he was running with Republican party fatigue in his favor but he also had a potential spoiler with Perot and was harangued with numerous controversies and scandals that could have derailed his campaign. Yet he prevailed, pretty significantly too and the core of his campaign has become legendary for four words: "it's the economy, stupid."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page