Which Candidate to defeat an Incumbent President over the last 50 years ran the Best Campaign?

(1/3) > >>

dw93:
I would say Clinton. He challenged and defeated a rather successful incumbent and did so pretty soundly and also had a third party candidate in the loop that could've taken a lot of his support if he were to run a worse campaign.

Mr. Smith:
Reagan.

No one else managed to lie so successfully and completely and completely alter the political landscape.

Clinton kinda sagged in the middle, Carter ran a pre-victory lap and almost blew it, and Biden was full on Luigi-wins-by-doing-nothing.

Hate to say it, but Reagan was the only one that was consistently good. It's true that Carter did not leave a good impression...but he really should have easily held The South and The Northeast at least.

OSR stands with Israel:
It has to be Clinton given that:

1. The Democratic path to 270 was much harder in 1992 than the the GOP was in 1980 given Democrats had to basically break the GOP lock on the electoral college while Carter's 1976 win showed many vulnerabilities

2. The fundamentals were better in 1980 than 1992 given the economy had already started to turn around in 1992 and there was no foreign policy crises while in 1980 the economy was mired in Stagflation along side the Iran Hostage Crises

3. At the beginning of the campaign sometime in mid June , Clinton was lagging in 3rd behind Bush and Perot while Reagan had already taken the lead in the average of polls by then.

So yah my ranking would be:

1. Clinton 1992
2. Reagan 1980
3. Biden 2020
4. Carter 1976

Hell I would argue the Clinton 1992 campaign was the greatest general election campaign in the tv era.

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom:
Quote from: Old School Republican on October 01, 2022, 03:40:34 AM

1. The Democratic path to 270 was much harder in 1992 than the the GOP was in 1980 given Democrats had to basically break the GOP lock on the electoral college while Carter's 1976 win showed many vulnerabilities

2. The fundamentals were better in 1980 than 1992 given the economy had already started to turn around in 1992 and there was no foreign policy crises while in 1980 the economy was mired in Stagflation along side the Iran Hostage Crises

3. At the beginning of the campaign sometime in mid June , Clinton was lagging in 3rd behind Bush and Perot while Reagan had already taken the lead in the average of polls by then.

1. Clinton 1992
2. Reagan 1980
3. Biden 2020
4. Carter 1976

Hell I would argue the Clinton 1992 campaign was the greatest general election campaign in the tv era.

I mean Obama won with like 8% unemployment.

OSR stands with Israel:
Quote from: Unwarranted Self-Victimizer on October 01, 2022, 03:50:35 AM

Quote from: Old School Republican on October 01, 2022, 03:40:34 AM

1. Clinton 1992
2. Reagan 1980
3. Biden 2020
4. Carter 1976

I mean Obama won with like 8% unemployment.

Obama’s 2012 campaign was great too but Obama really never made the sort of comeback Bill did and plus a Democratic Party path to victory was much easier by 2012 than it was in 1992. I’d say Obama 2012 was the best re-election campaign in the tv age

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page