Are there tensions among different groups of oversea Indians, like Hindu/Muslim/Sikh?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 06:41:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Are there tensions among different groups of oversea Indians, like Hindu/Muslim/Sikh?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Are there tensions among different groups of oversea Indians, like Hindu/Muslim/Sikh?  (Read 1147 times)
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2022, 06:50:46 PM »

I don't understand it really. What is the point?

While I can't speak for people of the Indian diaspora, I do know that Indian politics is extremely polarized. If you hold your political views very deeply, like to the point that it forms a part of your personal identity, simply moving countries won't make your feelings go away.
Polarized around what?

On the face of it, Hindu nationalism vs secular liberalism, with Modi clearly representing the former. The personality of Narendra Modi is also a ground of extreme polarization, as is the case with most right-wing populists. Modi supporters see him as a highly capable leader in touch with the needs of ordinary Indians who has overseen major economic and social improvements, and opponents see him as a garden-variety demagogue who exploits people's fears to amass political power for himself and his buddies.

I'm sure there are other factors/nuances, but an actual Indian person would be a better source for that, not some white Canadian guy who is weirdly fascinated by the Indian subcontinent
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2022, 12:32:43 PM »

The thing with overseas Indians is that they are a fairly complex group. 50% of overseas Indians in the US aren’t Hindu and 20% them are Christian and 10% being Muslim. Also, many overseas Indians in the US come from the South, where there is less support for the BJP because the BJP is a Hindi party.  I can’t see David Joseph or Mohan Rao who are immigrants from South India find a candidate who is explicitly pro-BJP to be particularly appealing given how their families presumably supports either the Congress, the Communists, or a regional party. Also, if your family does support the BJP back home - then there are other factors which would repulse them from voting for a pro-BJP candidate who is presumably a Republican.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2022, 11:16:19 AM »

I am very interested in the history and culture of India, but my knowledge is limited. I see the recent news about tensions around the Sikh national movement in Canada. I know that a large portion of oversea Indians are Sikh or Muslim in religion, and/or Dravidian speaking like Tamil. Are there tensions between them and the Aryan(race) Hindi(language) Hindu(religion) majorities?

You also need to factor in the large Christian part of the population of India
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies