East coast liberalism v west coast
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:11:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  East coast liberalism v west coast
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which kind of liberalism do you follow?
West Coast(D)

East Coast(D)

Other(D)

Not a Democrat(but left leaning)

Not an American(but left leaning)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: East coast liberalism v west coast  (Read 2087 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2022, 07:35:57 AM »

The difference between WC liberalism and EC liberalism is rather simple. WC tends to be more about issues such as environmentalism and animal rights while EC is more about labor and justice.  Obviously, things like gay rights fall here as an overlap. Philadelphia v Portland is a good comparison for stereotypical cities of either.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 09:51:16 AM »

Not sure that I necessarily buy that those are the key differences, but I will always support East coast over the West coast.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 10:06:07 AM »

The difference between WC liberalism and EC liberalism is rather simple. WC tends to be more about issues such as environmentalism and animal rights while EC is more about labor and justice.  Obviously, things like gay rights fall here as an overlap. Philadelphia v Portland is a good comparison for stereotypical cities of either.

lol, you moron. That comparison is white vs. black, not east vs. west.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 12:23:39 PM »

I don’t know if I trust anyone who’s too stupid to move to California.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 07:53:55 PM »

I suppose I'm more liberal on environmental issues than labor issues, but I'm not sure this dichotomy actually makes any sense.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 08:33:52 PM »

This is not the difference at all.

Eastern liberalism is credentialism,Western liberalism is woke politics.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 06:43:44 AM »

I suppose I'm more liberal on environmental issues than labor issues, but I'm not sure this dichotomy actually makes any sense.

It's literally just stereotyping.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 04:05:55 PM »

Democrats on the west coast campaign more on the issues you described as "east coast" than the ones you described as "west coast". I don't think the distinction is that big here.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 01:57:32 PM »

I live on the West Coast but I follow East Coast liberalism, just like I follow Manchester United
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 07:13:49 AM »

There really isn't much of a difference, and to the extent there is, it's not the one described by OP.
LeavingHope
Rookie
United States
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 12:50:02 PM »

They're both iterations of bourgeois liberalism.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 05:18:53 PM »

I suppose I'm much more liberal on environmental issues than labor issues, but I'm not sure this dichotomy actually makes any sense.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2022, 11:04:58 PM »

Whichever one is more likely to let you drink beer nude in the middle of a busy city on live tv uncensored.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2022, 12:00:32 AM »

As a West Coaster, East Coast liberalism seems to just be West Coast liberalism held back by a culture of nepotism, dynasty politics, and a much more laid-back attitude towards petty corruption. That's not to say these faults don't exist on the West Coast, just that I think they are much more frowned upon by the general public and are not seen as a "don't hate the player, hate the game" situation.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2022, 11:46:07 AM »

As a West Coaster, East Coast liberalism seems to just be West Coast liberalism held back by a culture of nepotism, dynasty politics, and a much more laid-back attitude towards petty corruption. That's not to say these faults don't exist on the West Coast, just that I think they are much more frowned upon by the general public and are not seen as a "don't hate the player, hate the game" situation.

So you're saying East Coast Liberalism is superior.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2022, 01:46:08 PM »

Generalizing here (but that's what this thread is for, right?), but I always regarded east coast liberalism as being more labor and race oriented, whereas its western counterpart is more libertarian-oriented.  One is more focused on rights and justice for marginalized groups, whereas the other is more interested in individual rights.  
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2022, 05:53:02 PM »

I can't comprehend this thread or the poll.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2022, 07:24:27 PM »

Except Environmentalism, I find West Coast liberals to be more annoying and even more NIMBY and hypocrites than east coast liberals.

Murphy almost lost, largely due to covid, but he was bit more realistic than the West Coast governors. Virginia had laughable and arbitrary covid measures that were light and unenforced. While most of the northeast had strong anti-covid measures they were still lighter than the west coast. In the west coast, you had many liberals unironically believe that they should go on forever and ever and ever...
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2022, 12:01:18 PM »

Americans nowadays have much more in common than not, but there are still some subtle regional differences. 

The South and West share a "no sense of urgency" vibe while the East Coast's version of politeness is "I will not waste your time."  Friendly small talk is much more welcome in the South/West.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2022, 02:50:54 PM »

Americans nowadays have much more in common than not, but there are still some subtle regional differences. 

The South and West share a "no sense of urgency" vibe while the East Coast's version of politeness is "I will not waste your time."  Friendly small talk is much more welcome in the South/West.

I really like the mixture of both of the same time in Nova. It was very pleasant and easy for me to integrate with.
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2022, 07:42:28 PM »

The one which optimizes energy efficiency via rowhouse supremacy
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2022, 04:24:24 AM »

Not a liberal, but I prefer east coast liberalism since it's generally less in-your-face than west coast liberalism.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2022, 11:13:09 AM »

Whichever one is more likely to let you drink beer nude in the middle of a busy city on live tv uncensored.

Vermont is a landlocked state.
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2022, 01:51:23 PM »

In 1968 Harvard University political scientist James Q. Wilson published his classic study of two kinds of police departments. The West Coast model was the "professional" department run along centralized, bureaucratic lines, with officers who were recruited on the basis of achievement and had few ethnic ties to the neighborhoods they patrolled. The East Coast "fraternal" police department, on the other hand, was "ethnically particular" and informally organized. Recruits were less educated, hired through ethnic connections and often assigned to the same areas where they were reared.

Fraternal officers, Wilson said, were more likely "to urge restrictive and punitive rather than therapeutic measures" in dealing with criminals, more prone to corruption and police brutality, and more reliant on the discretion -- and prejudices -- of individual officers. Wilson did not specify which cities best represented each paradigm. But Elijah Anderson, a sociologist at the University of Pennsylvania, put it bluntly: "The ideal typical fraternal department is clearly Philadelphia."
A little background in why “East Coast” progressives emphasize criminal justice reform
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2022, 07:41:15 AM »

The West Coast is more Asian, more Latin American, less Black, less Italian or Irish but (I think) more German or Scandinavian, in large part more recently-settled and with much more recent explosive growth, has much fewer places with a history of population decline, became part of the United States later, is less dense and has more space, has proportionally more fringe low-church Christian groups and Mormons (although this is tangential to liberalism I suppose), fewer old mainliners and much fewer non-Hispanic Catholics (see point about Irish and Italians - I am assuming "East Coast" here effectively means "Northeast Coast" as it so often does) and a whole lot of other demographic differences that do not come to mind right now. All of this relates to an extent to the gross stereotypes discussed in the thread, but is not the same thing as them.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies