Chinese dating scam (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:32:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Chinese dating scam (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chinese dating scam  (Read 376 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: October 13, 2022, 09:15:49 PM »

And it's not THAT different from the "your car's about to go out of warranty!"

I get these phone calls (or stuff about Medicare benefits) at least twice a week, despite not having a car or being on Medicare. I say everything short of something that could potentially get me in legal trouble. On occasion I'll tell them I represent a law firm and am recording the phonecall for investigation/lawsuit, and when I'm feeling less patient I'll straight up shout at them and tell them to blacklist my f#cking number - occasionally including an empty legal threat as well.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 11:14:53 PM »

And it's not THAT different from the "your car's about to go out of warranty!"

I get these phone calls (or stuff about Medicare benefits) at least twice a week, despite not having a car or being on Medicare. I say everything short of something that could potentially get me in legal trouble. On occasion I'll tell them I represent a law firm and am recording the phonecall for investigation/lawsuit, and when I'm feeling less patient I'll straight up shout at them and tell them to blacklist my f#cking number - occasionally including an empty legal threat as well.
In my experience, the more someone answers the phone to bogus calls, the more bogus calls they get.  Stop answering the phone when unrecognized calls come in.  If it's a real call and it's important, they'll leave a message.

That's probably a good idea because all these numbers have a Virginia area code (of course), so I feel compelled to answer regardless.

What's really bizarre is I get the same person almost every time. Despite the previous threats and literal screaming at my phone which resulted in her hanging up, she acts as if we never interacted before and reads her script while I talk over her.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies