Chinese dating scam
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:43:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Chinese dating scam
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chinese dating scam  (Read 354 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2022, 07:29:08 AM »

Has anyone run into a Pig Butchering??? It is when a male scammer who likely isn’t on us soil steals photos of genuinely attractive Asian women and pretends to be interested in you. The “slaughter” of the “pig” comes when they ask you for crypto (the marketplace) and eventually if they get crypto investments just run away. Of course they never meet in person or even use video calls/ phone calls.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 10:32:56 AM »

Absolutely not
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 11:35:43 AM »

I have heard of this and it puzzles me.  Why would you ever trust someone you have just met (anywhere but especially online) with your money, especially when the money is being invested on some site you've never heard of?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 06:27:16 PM »

sounds like a regular old scam to me, what makes this any different than the Nigerian Prince or the phone call to old people that goes "grandma!, it's your grandson and I'm in trouble out of town, can you wire me some money?"?  And it's not THAT different from the "your car's about to go out of warranty!"

Don't give money to people online unless YOU set up the deal.  Period.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 06:51:31 AM »

Scams are easy to avoid if you think carefully.
AelroseB

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 07:02:31 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2022, 07:12:18 AM by AelroseB »

I get a couple of these messages every month through them texting my phone, whatsapp, or Twitter DMs.  Their pretense is always the same: texting you something that'll make you think they have the wrong number.  Then they apologize, and ask if you want to be friends.  Finally the draw you in by offering to "teach" you about crypto/investing--and then, dollar bills in their eyes.

(On a side note: every form of digital communication these days has been overwhelmed by spam.  It's horrendous.  The fact that governments haven't acted on this in any meaningful or lasting, especially in the US, is condemnable.)
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 10:22:50 AM »

I get a couple of these messages every month through them texting my phone, whatsapp, or Twitter DMs.  Their pretense is always the same: texting you something that'll make you think they have the wrong number.  Then they apologize, and ask if you want to be friends.  Finally the draw you in by offering to "teach" you about crypto/investing--and then, dollar bills in their eyes.

(On a side note: every form of digital communication these days has been overwhelmed by spam.  It's horrendous.  The fact that governments haven't acted on this in any meaningful or lasting, especially in the US, is condemnable.)

I swear, roughly half my work e-mails are borderline spam.  For example, I get regular e-mails labeled "Onboarding is not orientation".  Why am I getting these e-mails?  I don't need the distraction of them.  I am neither a supervisor nor HR.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 11:50:04 AM »

I get plenty of fake FB friend requests + Twitter follows and DMs with obvious models as profile pics and I just delete them. Never gotten beyond that point.
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 02:56:19 PM »

sounds like a regular old scam to me, what makes this any different than the Nigerian Prince or the phone call to old people that goes "grandma!, it's your grandson and I'm in trouble out of town, can you wire me some money?"?  And it's not THAT different from the "your car's about to go out of warranty!"

Don't give money to people online unless YOU set up the deal.  Period.

I've been trying to reach you about your cars extended warranty
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 03:01:59 PM »

sounds like a regular old scam to me, what makes this any different than the Nigerian Prince or the phone call to old people that goes "grandma!, it's your grandson and I'm in trouble out of town, can you wire me some money?"?  And it's not THAT different from the "your car's about to go out of warranty!"

Don't give money to people online unless YOU set up the deal.  Period.

I've been trying to reach you about your cars extended warranty
Yeah. There are government programs that rely on intermediaries like me to allow you to deduct 50% off your car insurance. All I need is your credit card password and information.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 09:08:47 PM »

And that's when I use my Russian keyboard!  Works every time.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 09:15:49 PM »

And it's not THAT different from the "your car's about to go out of warranty!"

I get these phone calls (or stuff about Medicare benefits) at least twice a week, despite not having a car or being on Medicare. I say everything short of something that could potentially get me in legal trouble. On occasion I'll tell them I represent a law firm and am recording the phonecall for investigation/lawsuit, and when I'm feeling less patient I'll straight up shout at them and tell them to blacklist my f#cking number - occasionally including an empty legal threat as well.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 11:06:18 PM »

I get these phone calls (or stuff about Medicare benefits) at least twice a week, despite not having a car or being on Medicare. I say everything short of something that could potentially get me in legal trouble. On occasion I'll tell them I represent a law firm and am recording the phonecall for investigation/lawsuit, and when I'm feeling less patient I'll straight up shout at them and tell them to blacklist my f#cking number - occasionally including an empty legal threat as well.
In my experience, the more someone answers the phone to bogus calls, the more bogus calls they get.  Stop answering the phone when unrecognized calls come in.  If it's a real call and it's important, they'll leave a message.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 11:14:53 PM »

In my experience, the more someone answers the phone to bogus calls, the more bogus calls they get.  Stop answering the phone when unrecognized calls come in.  If it's a real call and it's important, they'll leave a message.

That's probably a good idea because all these numbers have a Virginia area code (of course), so I feel compelled to answer regardless.

What's really bizarre is I get the same person almost every time. Despite the previous threats and literal screaming at my phone which resulted in her hanging up, she acts as if we never interacted before and reads her script while I talk over her.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies