Would you live in a state that bans abortion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:06:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you live in a state that bans abortion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Would you live in a state that bans abortion?  (Read 1042 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2022, 12:49:44 PM »

Obviously no.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 01:19:00 PM »

Of course I would
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 01:22:00 PM »

I would, and I do (mostly banned at least). Proud of it
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 01:23:56 PM »

I'm not living in a state that doesn't treat women like people
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 01:26:43 PM »

Only asking: what do you think of this incident? Or this one? What do you think of socially conservative Republicans like Neal Collins of South Carolina?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 01:27:27 PM »

I would not live in a Trump state.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 01:28:33 PM »

You can make your own thread about that. There are Trump states with abortion and there are Biden states that banned or are banning abortion.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 02:11:33 PM »

Hell no.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 02:16:12 PM »

Only asking: what do you think of this incident? Or this one? What do you think of socially conservative Republicans like Neal Collins of South Carolina?

I'll simply refer you to my comments I posted actually on that first thread you linked.

Pro-abortion lefties: "You can't point to the barbarity of late term-abortions as an argument against abortion because it happens in such a small proportion of cases."

Also Pro-abortion lefties: "Here's every fringe case ever conceived as a cover to support the broad-based 'freedom' to terminate a pregnancy for any reason"

This case is awful and terribly sad. Obviously if death of the infant is inevitable anyway, terminating the life to prevent further suffering would be a just decision. That is wholly different than abortions in the vast majority of other cases, where death of the infant is not an inevitability. It's disingenuous to hide behind cases like this, if you would have also been fine for the infant's death, no matter the reason that the woman had.

Pro-abortion lefties: "You can't point to the barbarity of late term-abortions as an argument against abortion because it happens in such a small proportion of cases."

Also Pro-abortion lefties: "Here's every fringe case ever conceived as a cover to support the broad-based 'freedom' to terminate a pregnancy for any reason"

This case is awful and terribly sad. Obviously if death of the infant is inevitable anyway, terminating the life to prevent further suffering would be a just decision. That is wholly different than abortions in the vast majority of other cases, where death of the infant is not an inevitability. It's disingenuous to hide behind cases like this, if you would have also been fine for the infant's death, no matter the reason that the woman had.

Who's "hiding behind a case like this?" We're simply reporting on an ongoing story that is the direct result of anti-abortion policy. This is hardcore projection if I've ever heard it.

Don't see how it's projection given my opposition to abortion in both early and late stages. What exactly am I hiding behind?
More importantly, it very much is disingenuous to use cases like this as a way to argue against abortion bans, more broadly, just as it would be disingenuous to act as if all abortions were equivalent to late-term abortions, given their rarity. For a large portion of the left, the standard position is abortion at any time for any reason. So to use, definitionally, fringe cases as the spearhead of the argument against abortion bans is dishonest and a way to deflect from the broader truth regarding the nature of abortion.

Who's "hiding behind a case like this?" We're simply reporting on an ongoing story that is the direct result of anti-abortion policy. This is hardcore projection if I've ever heard it.

Don't see how it's projection given my opposition to abortion in both early and late stages. What exactly am I hiding behind?
More importantly, it very much is disingenuous to use cases like this as a way to argue against abortion bans, more broadly, just as it would be disingenuous to act as if all abortions were equivalent to late-term abortions, given their rarity. For a large portion of the left, the standard position is abortion at any time for any reason. So to use, definitionally, fringe cases as the spearhead of the argument against abortion bans is dishonest and a way to deflect from the broader truth regarding the nature of abortion.

If all women are going to forced to deliver all babies / fetuses, even dead or deformed ones, unless they can PROVE that their life is in danger (and we've seen that the burden of proof is high), then how is this a fringe case, in that sense? I haven't looked at the statistics, but if you compare how many women become 12 weeks pregnant with how many women 12+ weeks pregnant end up with a dead or deformed fetus, the number probably is not astronomically small.

It's a fringe case in that the vast majority of abortions are performed for reasons other than the life of the mother, and also because the vast majority of pregnancies do not involve birth defects that are fatal for the infant.

According to the Cleveland Clinic, 2 - 3% of all pregnancies result in the presence of defects. Obviously, most of these defects are non-lethal to the infant (down syndrome, cleft palate, limb defects, etc). Bringing up a case such as this one (Acrania appears in  1 in every 20,000 pregnancies) or others that lefties on the forum love to mention (5 year olds getting pregnant, for example) are very much fringe cases that mask the broader intention of seeing all abortion restrictions lifted.

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 02:52:12 PM »

I'll simply refer you to my comments I posted actually on that first thread you linked.

That addresses the Louisiana incident - but what about the Ohio-Indiana one? That could’ve been easily avoided if there was some sort of exception, if just for rape/incest, if just only for a limited number of weeks.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 03:42:38 PM »

That addresses the Louisiana incident - but what about the Ohio-Indiana one? That could’ve been easily avoided if there was some sort of exception, if just for rape/incest, if just only for a limited number of weeks.

As DT said in that case,
If there's a legal reporting requirement on providers who provide abortion in cases of rape/incest, then it should be enforced.

The situation is beyond depressing, and I'd love to accept those exceptions, but a life is a life is a life, and I have to eat the results of policies that I support.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 04:08:56 PM »

I mean TPIG is hardly the person to attack for pro-life hypocrisy. People like ER, who want to abolish Medicaid and public schools, are, but I think TPIG supports universal healthcare and parental leave.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 04:14:58 PM »

No. I don't want to be surrounded by Republicans at the grocery store, at my workplace, when I go out in public, on my street with all my neighbours, etc. I want it to be at least somewhat easy to meet potential friends and romantic partners that are compatible with my values.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 04:27:09 PM »

No. I don't want to be surrounded by Republicans at the grocery store, at my workplace, when I go out in public, on my street with all my neighbours, etc. I want it to be at least somewhat easy to meet potential friends and romantic partners that are compatible with my values.
This just in: Austin, TX is full of Republicans
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2022, 04:35:06 PM »

I already do
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2022, 04:36:17 PM »

I hold cities, suburbs / medium towns and small towns / rural to three different standards in regards to political culture. If we're talking about cities specifically and using the standards that I would use for a city, Texas and Florida cities are probably too right wing for my tastes.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 04:37:32 PM »

I hold cities, suburbs / medium towns and small towns / rural to three different standards in regards to political culture. If we're talking about cities specifically and using the standards that I would use for a city, Texas and Florida cities are probably too right wing for my tastes.

Do you know anything about Austin in particular?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 04:38:41 PM »

No, I would want to have a wide variety of family planning options for myself and a significant other.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 05:08:26 PM »

YoungTexan told me it's VERY liberal by Texas standards.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 05:24:48 PM »

How often do you think I interact with Republicans in the grocery store and in general in Minneapolis?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2022, 05:26:41 PM »

YoungTexan told me it's VERY liberal by Texas standards.

That would line up.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2022, 05:39:50 PM »

How often do you think I interact with Republicans in the grocery store and in general in Minneapolis?
I was being sarcastic
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2022, 05:53:11 PM »

Yeah, that wouldn't really be a factor in where I would choose to live.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2022, 05:59:05 PM »

I would prefer to live in a wealthier state with fewer regulations or laws.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2022, 06:10:06 PM »

I would prefer to live in a wealthier state with fewer regulations or laws.
What is your ideal state then? Colorado?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies