German v. Russian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:56:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  German v. Russian
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which language do you prefer?
German

Russian

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: German v. Russian  (Read 1010 times)
LBJer
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2022, 11:02:05 PM »

I voted for German.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 12:58:05 AM »

German
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 09:52:22 AM »

Average Cyrillic fan vs average Latin script enjoyer
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 09:41:07 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2022, 11:02:11 AM by Herr Schmidt will von Ihrer Weisheit trinken »

Die deutsche Sprache.

Was fuer ein schwerige Frage. Ich liebe Russisch auch.

Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 10:57:08 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2022, 11:06:16 PM by Aurelius »

Der Sprache sich haben Worten auf Donaudamphschifffahrtskapitandamzgezeugenschliffenfrackenspiegel.

no, I don't speak German, don't @ me
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 12:40:05 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of German either. I'm going with Russian here. It sounds better. And the problems i have with Russian are there in German too, too overtly complex grammatical with the cases and so on.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 02:47:53 PM »

Obviously German (native German speaker).
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 01:04:36 AM »

Deutsch, natürlich.
LBJer
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 12:25:10 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of German either. I'm going with Russian here. It sounds better. And the problems i have with Russian are there in German too, too overtly complex grammatical with the cases and so on.

But German has fewer cases than Russian.
lLamamano777
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 12:47:53 PM »

I know how to speak German, it's easier to learn than Cyrillic, gotta go with German
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2022, 12:52:04 PM »

I studied Russian for multiple years in college and used to be able to speak it reasonably well. I am also Bengali so by definition I am a russophile. I have no similar connection to German.

Both German and Russian have productive case systems, which is good, but word order is freer in Russian than in German, which is a point in favor of Russian. In both languages gender and case interact with each other, but I find German more difficult to parse in this respect than Russian, mostly because German articles are confusing. Russian avoids this issue by simply not having articles.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2022, 03:26:01 PM »

I am also Bengali so by definition I am a russophile.
Huh? I'm intrigued.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2022, 06:07:56 PM »

I studied Russian for multiple years in college and used to be able to speak it reasonably well. I am also Bengali so by definition I am a russophile. I have no similar connection to German.

Both German and Russian have productive case systems, which is good, but word order is freer in Russian than in German, which is a point in favor of Russian. In both languages gender and case interact with each other, but I find German more difficult to parse in this respect than Russian, mostly because German articles are confusing. Russian avoids this issue by simply not having articles.

The articles mean fewer noun endings, which are ridiculous in Russian [and Icelandic ftm, but that's for a different thread].

And free word order is not necessarily a positive, when it means so many endings [or prefixes] to learn.

And frankly, it makes Yoda-speak lose its effect.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2022, 09:46:24 PM »

All intellectually-minded Bengalis (that is to say, all Bengalis) feel themselves to have a special connection to Russian culture. Some of it is standard Cold War stuff based on projection of Russian soft power (my mom got a television at home for the first time when my grandfather brought one back from a trip to Moscow for work in the late '70s), but it's more than just that. In The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, the main character is called Gogol. In fact, at my high school, there was a Bengali boy the year below me named Gogol. One of my closest friends in graduate school was raised in Calcutta; her family calls her younger brother "Pushuk", which is a diminutive from Pushkin. When I pointed out the special connection between Bengal and Russian culture to my parents once, they disagreed with me until they recalled that I have a cousin named Natasha. A few years ago I met a Bengali friend I had had in elementary school; his family had moved to India when we were 11 and I hadn't seen him in over a decade. I would have bet any amount of money that he was interested in Russia, and of course he was. Here's an article I found online that touches on the phenomenon.

I'd like to say that my own interest in Russia was completely spontaneous, but that's not right. When I was ten years old, I was at my grandparents' house in Dhaka, where I found that I had read every English-language book in the house except for a translation of War and Peace. I was too young to understand much of it  (although even at the time I was aware of how wonderful the scene where Natasha kisses Boris is), but I emerged with a vaguely positive attitude toward Freemasonry and a lifelong fascination with the Russian lands. Years later, in my other grandparents' house in Dhaka, I found a little model of the main building at Moscow State University. I recognized it instantly, of course.

The articles mean fewer noun endings, which are ridiculous in Russian [and Icelandic ftm, but that's for a different thread].

And free word order is not necessarily a positive, when it means so many endings [or prefixes] to learn.

Well, I natively speak a language that has free word order thanks to its functional case systems, so that nouns might be declined does not scare me in the least. The issue with German articles is that there are not enough different endings: "der", for example, can be the masculine singular nominative or the feminine singular dative or genitive or the plural genitive, while "den" is either the masculine singular accusative or the plural dative. This is confusing. Lack of differentiation can be an issue with Russian, too, especially with feminine singular noun declension, but it's not like in German.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2022, 09:58:44 PM »

All languages are equally beautiful and valid! We love case marking languages and strict word order languages equally in this house!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2022, 10:19:42 PM »

As a native Russian speaker, obviously Russian, though I must say I didn't realize this thread would be about languages until clicking into it.

What makes them so ridiculous? Plenty of Uralic languages have many, many more cases than the likes of Russian or German.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2022, 06:08:59 AM »

German to me only sounds cool when it is said angrily. Russian, by contrast, is a language for all seasons.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2022, 06:16:36 AM »

I am also Bengali so by definition I am a russophile.

Does it have anything to do with Cold War alignment and Bangladesh's successful separatiom from Pakistan?

Well, I natively speak a language that has free word order thanks to its functional case systems, so that nouns might be declined does not scare me in the least. The issue with German articles is that there are not enough different endings: "der", for example, can be the masculine singular nominative or the feminine singular dative or genitive or the plural genitive, while "den" is either the masculine singular accusative or the plural dative. This is confusing. Lack of differentiation can be an issue with Russian, too, especially with feminine singular noun declension, but it's not like in German.

The real problem, IMO, is feminine singular adjectival declension. I wanna say genitive, dative, instrumental, and prepositional all have the ugly ой/ей endings, whereas male singular adjectival endings (outside of nominative and inanimate accusative) are pretty much always fun.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2022, 06:57:15 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2022, 07:26:55 PM by Mr. Smith »

As a native Russian speaker, obviously Russian, though I must say I didn't realize this thread would be about languages until clicking into it.

What makes them so ridiculous? Plenty of Uralic languages have many, many more cases than the likes of Russian or German.

It makes it far harder to figure out what a word does at the beginning of learning, compared to X word is here, so it's a verb, Y word is here, it's a noun. Much easier to make a mistake and be understood when you don't have to worry about agreements so much as your native tongue.

And frankly, I'm not touching Uralic languages anyway, though I'll note those languages cancel out the cases by being genderless.  But if I do dabble outside the Indo-Eurozone, it's gonna be either Korean or Thai, both of which I have far more personal connections to.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2022, 09:28:52 PM »

German to me only sounds cool when it is said angrily. Russian, by contrast, is a language for all seasons.

Exactly:

full video:

Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2022, 07:37:54 AM »

I know how to speak German, it's easier to learn than Cyrillic, gotta go with German
German is more like English than Russian or even Spanish is.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2022, 11:34:20 PM »

I speak some German vs no Russian. Virtually the same alphabet too.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2022, 10:54:25 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2022, 03:10:34 PM by Biden his time »

Russian is more useful on a global scale* and has more of a future.
LBJer
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2022, 09:59:08 AM »

Not if you live in Germany, or if you're interested in Germany but not Russia.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2022, 04:05:37 AM »

Not if you live in Germany, or if you're interested in Germany but not Russia.

Thank you, this is very insightful. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies