Can Nevada go Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:44:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Can Nevada go Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well
Yes, and I think it will

Yes, but I don't think it will

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Can Nevada go Republican?  (Read 1949 times)
Plankton5165

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2022, 08:36:16 PM »

Nevada has been trending Republican. It has matched the nation's popular vote in 2016. And in 2020, it was so close that it wasn't called by the time Biden was called the president-elect.

However, Trump owns a lot of property in Nevada, I believe. But he could be the nominee again in 2024.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 09:00:27 PM »

Option 2.  It will probably vote for the winner, with a slightly greater likelihood of voting for a losing Democrat than for a losing Republican.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 09:09:50 PM »

No, it's only 3 pts Laxalt, and that's MOE
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 09:53:51 PM »

"Can" it. Yes it definitely can. Biden only won it by 2 in a D+5 year so Rs def have the votes to win given more favorable dynamics.

However, I will be curious to see to what degree Trump's relatively strong performance in Clark County (Las Vegas) was COVID related vs how much of it was actual shifts. I ran the numbers a while back and based on other simillar large Southwestern Counties like Maricopa, Harris, and San Diego, one would've "expected" the county to basically have 0 shift from 2016 which may not seem like a lot but would mean a Biden + 4 win statewide which may have felt a bit more comfortable. It is worth noting though that compared to most southwestern cities, Nevada is both abnormally diverse, racially integrated, and also has a very low rate of educational attainment throughout.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 11:31:30 PM »

"Can" it. Yes it definitely can. Biden only won it by 2 in a D+5 year so Rs def have the votes to win given more favorable dynamics.

However, I will be curious to see to what degree Trump's relatively strong performance in Clark County (Las Vegas) was COVID related vs how much of it was actual shifts. I ran the numbers a while back and based on other simillar large Southwestern Counties like Maricopa, Harris, and San Diego, one would've "expected" the county to basically have 0 shift from 2016 which may not seem like a lot but would mean a Biden + 4 win statewide which may have felt a bit more comfortable. It is worth noting though that compared to most southwestern cities, Nevada is both abnormally diverse, racially integrated, and also has a very low rate of educational attainment throughout.

Even though this state is more working class and less educated compared to many other states, it should be noted that a substantial share of its working class people (especially in Las Vegas) are unionized, and unionized working class voters are more Democratic than their non-unionized counterparts. This is an important factor that's sustaining NV's current D lean. If unionization in this state declines in a manner similar to what has happened in the upper Midwest and/or Appalachia, then this could tip the state over to the Republicans.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 12:50:36 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Nevada has some of the most beneficial voting laws for the Democratic party.

A mail ballot is mailed to every registered voter in the state, making it extremely easy for the voter to fill out and mail back.

This benefits even the lowest of low propensity voters. Of course some will say that low propensity voters are now Trump supporters. But Trump supporters hate mail ballots and will bellow when one shows up in their mail box. They will discard their mail ballot and vote on election day, if they don't get swamped at work.

Lean-D, unless the GOP is winning big.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 03:18:41 PM »

Hot take: It will vote to the right of the tipping-point state in 2024.
DS0816
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 04:37:07 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2022, 04:42:41 PM by DS0816 »

Nevada has been trending Republican. It has matched the nation's popular vote in 2016. And in 2020, it was so close that it wasn't called by the time Biden was called the president-elect.

However, Trump owns a lot of property in Nevada, I believe. But he could be the nominee again in 2024.

The Republicans have a problem in Nevada because they have not carried Washoe County (Reno) since 2004.

Washoe County is one of so many counties, from a given state, which became a 2008 Democratic pickup and has since not carried for a Republican for U.S. President.

Nevada votes like New Mexico. Since the latter entered the union and first voted in 1912, the two states have carried the same, with exception of 2000, in 27 of the last 28 presidential election cycles.

When looking at the map of Nevada, I am reminded of Arizona. Donald Trump, in 2016, underperformed Maricopa County (Phoenix) vs. his statewide percentage-points margin. This created opportunities for the Democrats as they won pickups for U.S. Senate in 2018 and likewise that level and the state for U.S. President with Joe Biden’s Democratic pickup of the presidency in 2020. They prevailed with having flipped Maricopa County.

I think Nevada, even with margins suggesting it is not bullet proof, realigned to the Democrats in 2008. (So did New Mexico.)

I think it may turn out Arizona realigned to the Democrats in 2020. (Same with Georgia, which votes like Arizona.)

I addressed this here:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=441838.msg8079566#msg8079566
DS0816
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 04:49:39 PM »

Lean-D, unless the GOP is winning big.

What is “big”?

Since 1992, the average number of carried states for presidential winners has been 29. The range has been between 25 (a 2020 Joe Biden) and 32 (a 1992 Bill Clinton).

Winning Republicans carried 30 and 31 states. (George W. Bush numbered both.)

Winning Democrats averaged 28 states.

Math: 32+31+30+31+28+26+30+25=233. Divided by 8 and they averaged 29 states.

Donald Trump, as the 2016 Republican pickup winner, carried 30 states. None of them included Nevada. That state was his No. 33 best-performed states (percentage-points margin).

Trump was closer to flipping two states—as his Nos. 31 and 32—which I think are ripe to become pickups the next time the presidency switches to the Republican column: New Hampshire and Minnesota. (Since 2004, they have averaged 1.24 percentage points in their margins spread from each other.)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 10:11:50 PM »

Option 2.  It will probably vote for the winner, with a slightly greater likelihood of voting for a losing Democrat than for a losing Republican.

Only slightly? I'd be absolutely shocked if the Republicans won Nevada but lose the election.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 09:57:38 AM »

Option 2.  It will probably vote for the winner, with a slightly greater likelihood of voting for a losing Democrat than for a losing Republican.

Only slightly? I'd be absolutely shocked if the Republicans won Nevada but lose the election.

It may not be too likely, but it’s possible Democrats could lose Nevada, Arizona, and Wisconsin while holding Georgia, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2022, 11:27:52 AM »

Hot take- Nevada will go Republican whether Biden wins re election or not
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2022, 11:34:54 AM »

Can it? Yes.

Will it? Yes.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2022, 05:15:58 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2022, 02:49:31 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Can it yes
Will it not until we see 22 results

People like to preemptively assume EDay results and it's in 5 weeks hold on we just got a few weeks Left
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2022, 09:14:59 PM »

Option 2 is the most reasonable, by far.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2022, 11:00:07 PM »

FTFY
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2022, 12:03:17 AM »

Jacky Rosen is on the ballot and Ds are always stronger with Biden on the ballot in some cases but Fetterman is leading with Biden off the ballot we just have to wait for the results but the Rs don't have anyone nearly as strong as LAXALT to run against Rosen and LAXALT was supposed to win in 2018Gov and he lost to Sisolak
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2022, 10:54:51 PM »

Can it?  Of course it can, dumb question.  It will be extremely close and there's a non-insubstantial chance that it's the tipping point state.  It has basically trended right every cycle for a decade and is like #45 in college attainment.
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2022, 02:56:35 AM »

Only in a good republican night
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2022, 01:28:07 AM »

It can, but that eventuality is unlikely.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2022, 06:39:13 AM »

As I previously said it's unlikely that someone as strong as LAXALT is gonna run again in NV anytime soon that's why Tester is safer than most people think because Daines or Gianforte aren't running and neither is LAXALT and he LAXALT is only tied with CCM
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies