House Democrats reach deal on police funding bills
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:59:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Democrats reach deal on police funding bills
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: House Democrats reach deal on police funding bills  (Read 704 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2022, 09:03:24 AM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3654245-dems-reach-deal-on-policing-bills-vote-planned-for-thursday/

House Democrats have reached a long-elusive agreement on a package of police and community safety bills, according to several of the top stakeholders, with plans for the lower chamber to vote Thursday to send the legislation to the Senate.

The deal arrives after months of tense talks between moderate Democrats, who have been pushing for a vote on the pro-police package ahead of the midterm elections, and liberals leery of showering new funds on law enforcers without new safeguards for curbing police abuse.

One, sponsored by Gottheimer, would provide federal grants to small local law enforcement agencies with fewer than 125 officers.

Another proposal, sponsored by Rep. Steven Horsford (D-Nev.), provides grants aimed at reining in community violence.

A third bill, sponsored by Rep. Katie Porter (D-Calif.), promotes the use of mental health workers, in lieu of law enforcement officers, in responding to incidents involving people with special behavioral needs. 

The fourth, sponsored by Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.), provides funding to promote technology in helping local investigators crack unsolved cases, particularly those involving gun violence.

jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 09:06:01 AM »

THey're not going to combine everything into one super bill ?
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 12:44:24 PM »

Wake me up when this reaches Biden’s desk.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 02:01:30 PM »

They need to get Demings a huge accomplishment in October if they can. Let her have the credit for anything popular that passes.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 03:05:12 PM »

They need to get Demings a huge accomplishment in October if they can. Let her have the credit for anything popular that passes.

Yeah, though I don't think she'd win the senate race. Instead, I wish Biden picked her as running mate instead of Harris.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 06:43:41 PM »

Yeah, though I don't think she'd win the senate race. Instead, I wish Biden picked her as running mate instead of Harris.

In hindsight I agree. Demings' experience as an ex-police officer actually probably would have been a bigger benefit than detriment considering the environment of 2020. I don't know how much of a difference she actually would have made but she would probably be perceived more positively than Harris always seems to be.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 07:34:35 PM »

In hindsight I agree. Demings' experience as an ex-police officer actually probably would have been a bigger benefit than detriment considering the environment of 2020. I don't know how much of a difference she actually would have made but she would probably be perceived more positively than Harris always seems to be.
Would it have made a difference? Harris was called a "cop" lol.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 07:45:26 PM »

I agree she'll probably lose, but we should fight as hard as we can for it.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 07:59:47 PM »

Hard to imagine this deal being a good one.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 08:06:23 PM »

Good to hear.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 10:01:13 AM »

Yeah, Demings would've gotten 10x even worse lashings from progressives for being a literal cop. Harris was the better choice.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 04:53:45 PM »

I guess it depends whether Harris' prosecutor record was a bigger downside than the association with "defund the police." There is probably an argument to be made for either.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 08:50:11 PM »

why did so many republicans vote against funding the police?
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 09:40:40 PM »

I don’t think that many people took that seriously. And those that did probably weren’t going to vote Biden in the first place.

The optics of picking Demings would’ve been awful though.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2022, 03:07:00 AM »

Yeah somehow this forum seems to have forgotten that the mass protests against police violence had widespread support in 2020 and were likely a net benefit to Biden campaign, at least outside of SE Wisconsin. People had large BLM rallies in rural Appalachia!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2022, 03:25:19 AM »

Yeah somehow this forum seems to have forgotten that the mass protests against police violence had widespread support in 2020 and were likely a net benefit to Biden campaign, at least outside of SE Wisconsin. People had large BLM rallies in rural Appalachia!

In that case it was exceptionally clear who was Derek Chauvin was in the wrong.. very different from Michael Brown in Ferguson.

Southeast Wisconsin you can clearly see between 2018 and 2020 that the riots did help Trump in that area.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2022, 03:26:28 AM »

In that case it was exceptionally clear who was Derek Chauvin was in the wrong.. very different from Michael Brown in Ferguson.

Southeast Wisconsin you can clearly see between 2018 and 2020 that the riots did help Trump in that area.

Yeah that's why I singled it out as an exception.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2022, 03:32:06 AM »

Yeah that's why I singled it out as an exception.

Now of course, "defund the police" certainly hurt Democrats at the margins in 2020.

Of course much of the online left believed that “Defund the police”, "Latinx", "Virtual learning", "shutting down businesses" were brilliant and popular political strategies that should  have been  party planks.

Fortunately that era is over.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2022, 03:48:29 AM »

The Progressives are opposing the WVA pipeline deal if the Govt shuts down and we get a Speaker McCarthy even with a D Senate they are gonna get the same WVA pipeline problem because there is a Debt Ceiling fight in 3/2023 and they can't let the Credit rating collapse in the Spring so I don't like it either but they need to pass something so they don't look bad right before EDay, look what happened last yr the Debt Ceiling went far too long and we lost VA Governor race
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2022, 11:40:01 AM »

Terrible news, hopefully McConnell accidentally does a good thing and stonewalls this
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies