IN-SEN 2024: Money in the Banks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:43:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-SEN 2024: Money in the Banks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: IN-SEN 2024: Money in the Banks  (Read 6371 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2023, 04:28:01 PM »

Why is the party coalescing around Banks so early? This is a safe R seat and there’s no worries about electability. How do you think Rokita or Spartz feel about being thrown under the bus.

Cause 2022 was a sh*t show. If they want to be able to go on the offensive in 2024 they need to be sure there’s no surprises in their safe seats.

Why is the party coalescing around Banks so early? This is a safe R seat and there’s no worries about electability. How do you think Rokita or Spartz feel about being thrown under the bus.
Why wouldn't they ?

Banks will probably follow the party line, so why risk it with a messy primary ?

Spartz and Rokita would also be reliable votes and are at no risk of losing the general.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2023, 04:32:34 PM »

Disappointing as he’s a great guy who would’ve been a net positive, but continues the trend from 2022 of the highest-tier Republican recruits not running simply out of contempt for the idea of being in the Senate.
They are not running mostly because they don't think they could win the primary.

And even if they did they would have to spend 6 years of vitriol from their own voters, because they would vote for liberal legislation, omnibuses, bipartisan deals, ect.

Things that voters see as betrayal if they belong to the opposition party.

So why ruin their reputation ?
JMT

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2023, 12:08:36 PM »

Spartz not running for Senate OR re-election to the House:

JMT

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2023, 12:11:04 PM »

I’m surprised about the Spartz decision. Initially it seemed like she wanted to run for Senate. It then seemed like she may not run for Senate due to Republicans coalescing around Jim Banks, but I just figured she’d run for re-election instead. I didn’t think she’d retire altogether.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2023, 12:44:38 PM »

I’m surprised about the Spartz decision. Initially it seemed like she wanted to run for Senate. It then seemed like she may not run for Senate due to Republicans coalescing around Jim Banks, but I just figured she’d run for re-election instead. I didn’t think she’d retire altogether.

I think she wants out of the house, with the whole speakership debacle I wouldn’t be surprised if more freshmen then normal retire
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2023, 12:51:08 PM »

I think she wants out of the house, with the whole speakership debacle I wouldn’t be surprised if more freshmen then normal retire

I understand your overall point, but Spartz was not a freshman.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2023, 02:06:07 PM »

I don't know about freshmen, but we could get a lot of sophomore retirements. Especially from the moderate wing, like Garbarino, Malliotakis, Mace, or Salazar.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2023, 02:36:51 PM »

I understand your overall point, but Spartz was not a freshman.

My mistake, not sure why I thought she was a freshman
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2023, 11:22:28 PM »

I don't know about freshmen, but we could get a lot of sophomore retirements. Especially from the moderate wing, like Garbarino, Malliotakis, Mace, or Salazar.
I doubt any of them will retire. Mace is clearly positioning herself to succeed Graham (although she's not doing a good job at it), Salazar is a good fundraiser and seems to enjoy being a congresswoman, and I don't see Garbarino or Malliotakis quitting as the NYGOP is more moderate than most state parties anyway.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2023, 10:58:56 AM »

Disappointing as he’s a great guy who would’ve been a net positive, but continues the trend from 2022 of the highest-tier Republican recruits not running simply out of contempt for the idea of being in the Senate.

No offense (I think you understand where I’m coming from), but when a user who has dedicated much of his life to ensuring that Democrats are elected to public office and can pass their legislation without facing public backlash is "disappoint[ed]" that a particular Republican won’t be the nominee, you know we’ve really dodged a bullet when said Republican dropped out of the race.

This is a safe red seat where the GOP can’t afford another Murkowski/Romney-type defection. The Democratic caucus has always managed to stick together no matter what (in part because Democrats put party loyalty above everything else in a quasi-religious manner), there’s no reason for Republicans not to follow suit and let Democrats outmaneuver them once again.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2023, 12:23:54 PM »

No offense (I think you understand where I’m coming from), but when a user who has dedicated much of his life to ensuring that Democrats are elected to public office and can pass their legislation without facing public backlash is "disappoint[ed]" that a particular Republican won’t be the nominee, you know we’ve really dodged a bullet when said Republican dropped out of the race.

This is a safe red seat where the GOP can’t afford another Murkowski/Romney-type defection. The Democratic caucus has always managed to stick together no matter what (in part because Democrats put party loyalty above everything else in a quasi-religious manner), there’s no reason for Republicans not to follow suit and let Democrats outmaneuver them once again.

It seems rather unremarkable that left-of-center people would want the furthest left feasible Republican nominees in Safe R states but not necessarily the furthest right Democratic nominees in Safe D states.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2023, 03:43:46 PM »

I don’t care if a Senator Mitch Daniels voted to the right of Ted Cruz. I believe nominating and electing people of his high character and maturity in both parties (and in both public and private - see reports of Spartz’s history of abusing her staff) encourages similar types to run and dissuades and further ostracizes the opposite. I have declined to work for some individuals for this reason.

Him being a centrist is just a nice perk Wink
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2023, 12:29:44 AM »

Walter Mondale lost right after 911 but why would Pence go back to Senate he was already Gov and Rep
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2023, 11:31:46 PM »

You have it backwards, as usual.  The Manchinema backstab the entire operation of Dems constantly, with one half even leaving the party because she couldn't do it so easily anymore. Then you have Peters, Feinstein, the NJ sorts and the Delaware duo not far behind either.
JMT

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2023, 10:21:48 AM »

MichaelM24
Rookie
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2023, 04:45:26 PM »

I saw that the first Democrat announced, being Marc Carmichael (former member of the Indiana House 1986-1991, lost a congressional race in Indiana's 2nd 1996).

Not that it matters much, of course, as Indiana's not a kind place for Democrats, but at least someone's trying. It'll be interesting to see what bigger names might announce, as I don't have much an ear to the ground on this stuff.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2023, 05:20:09 PM »

I saw that the first Democrat announced, being Marc Carmichael (former member of the Indiana House 1986-1991, lost a congressional race in Indiana's 2nd 1996).

Not that it matters much, of course, as Indiana's not a kind place for Democrats, but at least someone's trying. It'll be interesting to see what bigger names might announce, as I don't have much an ear to the ground on this stuff.

I still think if Pete Buttigeig had maintained his Indiana registration and chose to run here, this race might have been competitive, especially if a Democratic wave developed. Jim Banks isn't as strong a candidate as he looks (compared to Holcomb, or Rokita), and it looks like the field is clearing for him.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2023, 05:27:14 PM »

I still think if Pete Buttigeig had maintained his Indiana registration and chose to run here, this race might have been competitive, especially if a Democratic wave developed. Jim Banks isn't as strong a candidate as he looks (compared to Holcomb, or Rokita), and it looks like the field is clearing for him.
Maybe, but he'd have as much of a chance as Kunce does.
MichaelM24
Rookie
United States

« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2023, 05:31:35 PM »

I live in the 3rd district, and I have to say that Banks seems strong to me.

In 2022, independent Nathan Gotsch attempted to pull together moderates and anti-Banks Republicans, or at least Republicans who were looking for something other than the far-right attitudes that Banks holds. He got just 4.7%, which, considering that in 2016, a Libertarian had gotten 6.9%, struck me as pathetic.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I guess I'm just saying that Banks seems a strong candidate to the more conservative-minded Republicans. In fact, I'd bet there was a lot of overlap between Banks voters and those who went Libertarian Donald Rainwater in 2022 in the gubernatorial.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2023, 06:45:02 PM »

Flew under the radar, but potentially very interesting primary incoming.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2023, 06:36:13 PM »

"Gays Against Groomers?" I want to say f*** this guy, but that group's name is so tactfully chosen  that the defense to that will be: "Oh! So you're pro-groomer!?"
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2023, 12:06:19 AM »

"Gays Against Groomers?" I want to say f*** this guy, but that group's name is so tactfully chosen  that the defense to that will be: "Oh! So you're pro-groomer!?"

Gays against Groomers are quite literally the modern day Blacks against integration or Women against suffrage.

Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2023, 12:19:40 AM »

I mean antifa does the same thing lmao
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2023, 07:33:51 AM »

I mean antifa does the same thing lmao

Another false equivalence from the greatest… and at any rate it’s not like antifa has a PR strategy lol

Anyway most conservatives think that merely being openly gay or trans is some kind of ideological act. Which is why this clown isn’t going anywhere. Only wealthy coastal republicans would ever dare nominate a homosexual, and in the Midwest’s most evangelical state John Rust is going nowhere at all
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2023, 07:46:11 AM »

Banks by 60.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to: