IN-SEN 2024: Money in the Banks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:07:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-SEN 2024: Money in the Banks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: IN-SEN 2024: Money in the Banks  (Read 6373 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2022, 02:52:12 PM »

I think it's highly possible Braun and Holcomb aim a job switch. The latter could just run for the senate seat here. He's still in his mid 50s.

How many times has this happened? I know about the disastrous 1958 California attempt but that’s all.

As far as I can tell by glancing over the historical record, 2024 IN-SEN/GOV would be only the 2nd time since the turn of the 20th century that a Gov. & Sen. attempt a simultaneous elected job-switch, the first indeed being 1958 CA-SEN/GOV.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2022, 03:02:21 PM »

I think it's highly possible Braun and Holcomb aim a job switch. The latter could just run for the senate seat here. He's still in his mid 50s.

How many times has this happened? I know about the disastrous 1958 California attempt but that’s all.

As far as I can tell by glancing over the historical record, 2024 IN-SEN/GOV would be only the 2nd time since the turn of the 20th century that a Gov. & Sen. attempt a simultaneous elected job-switch, the first indeed being 1958 CA-SEN/GOV.

That was under different circumstances, though. Holcomb would be term-limited in 2024 anyway, so a senate bid would keep him in public office.

1958 in California was kind of a forced switch because of Knowland. Goodwin Knight actually wanted to run for reelection as governor (he came in in 1953 after Earl Warren was appointed Chief Justice was elected to an own term in 1954). Nixon supported that deal for tactical reasons, as both Knowland and Knight were considered potential rivals for the 1960 Republican presidential nomination. Both of them losing in the end cleared the way for Nixon. I personally think Knowland would have lost his bid for the senate, had they not made that deal, while Knight wins his reelection bid.
Paloney
United States
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2022, 04:36:42 PM »

I think Mike Pence will run for this seat after his presidential bid flames out.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2022, 11:03:32 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2022, 01:05:41 AM by GM Team Member NewYorkExpress »

Braun has filed to run for Governor.

Republican Sen. Mike Braun filed paperwork on Wednesday to run for governor of Indiana in 2024, setting up an open race for the seat.

“Mike Braun has filed his paperwork to run for governor and will be making an official announcement of his candidacy very soon,” Braun’s chief of staff, Josh Kelley, said in a statement.

GOP Gov. Eric Holcomb is term-limited and cannot run for reelection in 2024.

BloJo94
Rookie
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2022, 04:21:45 PM »

I’m thinking Greg Pence runs.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2022, 04:23:25 PM »

I think Mike Pence will run for this seat after his presidential bid flames out.

He DOES strike me as the Mitt Romney type. He won't have any moderate sensibilities though, but he will be an institutionalist and that's the best I can really expect from IN after 2018
BloJo94
Rookie
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2022, 04:24:28 PM »

He DOES strike me as the Mitt Romney type. He won't have any moderate sensibilities though, but he will be an institutionalist and that's the best I can really expect from IN after 2018
How about his brother Greg Pence?
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2022, 04:26:11 PM »

I doubt either would run against each other
BloJo94
Rookie
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2022, 04:26:48 PM »

I mean if Greg goes for Senate while Mike goes for President
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2022, 04:29:24 PM »

If Greg goes for Senate while Mike goes for President and eventually fizzles out, Mike isn't going to challenge him for the seat. Maybe run for that House seat again? Idk.
BloJo94
Rookie
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2022, 04:31:02 PM »

If Greg goes for Senate while Mike goes for President and eventually fizzles out, Mike isn't going to challenge him for the seat. Maybe run for that House seat again? Idk.
I don’t think Mike Goes for anything after flaming out for the Presidency and Greg wins the Senate seat.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2022, 02:30:16 AM »

Vice President --> failed presidential candidate --> Senator is a hell of a downward trajectory
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2023, 10:44:17 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2023, 10:49:58 AM by Roll Roons »

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned, Mitch Daniels appears to be seriously considering it to the point that Club for Growth released an ad trying to discourage him.

Funny thing is that CFG's president, David McIntosh, is himself a former Indiana congressman who lost a bid for governor in 2000. So there might be some kind of personal jealousy at play here.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2023, 06:49:08 PM »

Does anyone remember when Mitch Daniels-Mr."Haves and Soon-to-Haves"-was a major rising star in the GOP?
Push my Daisy
United States
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2023, 07:09:13 AM »

Jim Banks in!
JMT

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2023, 07:36:35 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2023, 09:04:56 AM »

IN is a red state but income inequality has been the greatest since the Yreat Tecrssions you grow the middle class out and how can you argue 3.5 percent unemployment
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2023, 09:36:28 AM »

Would be great if Daniels gets in and pulls away so we can get Banks and Spartz out of Congress in one fell swoop.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2023, 10:48:35 AM »

In the last week or so it has become increasingly likely that Daniels will jump in. It will be a tough race but I don’t see how Banks can prevail. We’ve seen that Trump endorsements aren’t enough against popular republicans and Mitch Daniels is probably the most popular and consequential political figure of the 21st century in Indiana.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2023, 06:08:52 PM »

In the last week or so it has become increasingly likely that Daniels will jump in. It will be a tough race but I don’t see how Banks can prevail. We’ve seen that Trump endorsements aren’t enough against popular republicans and Mitch Daniels is probably the most popular and consequential political figure of the 21st century in Indiana.
Why not the most consequencial figure for the next 1000 years ?

Aside from the humourous hyperbole, it will either go like Coats or like Bayh.

I don't rate Daniels's chances high.
This is a Senate election which is more ideologically polarized than a Governor's one, there might be too many conservatives in the Indiana GOP for Daniels to win.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2023, 07:01:48 PM »

This is a Senate election which is more ideologically polarized than a Governor's one, there might be too many conservatives in the Indiana GOP for Daniels to win.

Indiana has plurality primaries, so Daniel’s best hope is the extra conservatives splinter the vote
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2023, 07:17:51 PM »

Indiana has plurality primaries, so Daniel’s best hope is the extra conservatives splinter the vote
It's also not 2009 anymore, even Lugar lost his primary in 2012 getting just under 40% as an incumbent.

Daniels's strategy also sounds like the failed NeverTrump's of Ohio and Pennsylvania whose local GOPs are less conservative than Indiana's.

Indiana looks currently like a bad fit for someone like Daniels, he should run in Illinois.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2023, 07:21:07 PM »

Vice President --> failed presidential candidate --> Senator is a hell of a downward trajectory

I just realized this was Hubert Humphrey's career. He at least managed to get nominated by his party though. And it's an insult to Humphrey to ever compare him to Pence. I apologize to his surviving family members.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2023, 12:57:04 PM »

I’m going around throwing out thread name ideas so;

Take it to the Banks
Sparring with Spartz
Damn Daniels