Gavin Newsom Is Gross and Embarrassing and Will Never Be President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:51:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gavin Newsom Is Gross and Embarrassing and Will Never Be President
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gavin Newsom Is Gross and Embarrassing and Will Never Be President  (Read 1417 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2022, 10:39:48 PM »

let’s be frank — would you buy a used car from this man?

Gavin Newsom looks like the kind of guy who would have an affair with the wife of his close friend and campaign manager. Or who, when he was 39 and mayor of San Francisco, had a girlfriend who was too young to drink. Or who would dine with a group of 12 at The French Laundry just hours after warning Californians not to gather for the holidays due to COVID. Or who would marry Kimberly Guilfoyle.1 Or who would pose with Guilfoyle like this on Ann Getty’s rug:

LINK:https://www.joshbarro.com/p/gavin-newsom-is-gross-and-embarrassing

Thoughts on the crypto presdential campagin that Newsom is running ?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 10:46:13 PM »

It's all relative though, I suppose. DeSantis is infinitely more gross and embarassing by comparison.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 10:49:33 PM »

Some degree of trolling is probably inevitably in any modern campaign, and it can be effective when done well - see Fetterman's campaign here in PA - but Newsom is doing it in a way that I think is more likely to backfire than not.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 10:53:19 PM »

Newsom would be a very strong Democratic candidate for the Presidency, unlike most incumbent Democratic Governors or Senators who would be very weak. My guess is that Biden will be renominated in 2024 and that 2028 is too far in the future to really say anything about, though.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 10:53:57 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2022, 11:42:03 PM by Horus »

He's certainly not my favorite.

Pritzker, despite being a billionaire, seems more relatable.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 11:51:02 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2022, 12:02:13 AM by Joe Republic »

It's worth noting that Gavin Newsom essentially got away with something that pretty much ruined Boris Johnson's government (though didn't ultimately end it; that was for something else).  I'll vote for Newsom's reelection this November for policy reasons of course, but that was some BS right there.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 12:31:00 AM »

On a personal level Newsom seems like a pretty crappy person BUT it's not anything that I'd consider disqualifying, and he has demonstrated numerous times that he is ready to meet the moment. He knows how to fight the GOP. I'd support him.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 12:56:34 AM »

This is literally just all, like, local California gossip rag stuff.  Who cares?  It's like saying Trump would never become president because he cheated on Ivana with a beauty pageant contestant.  Nobody cares about this kind of stupid People Magazine thing and frankly the world is better for it.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 01:01:04 AM »

let’s be frank — would you buy a used car from this man?

Gavin Newsom looks like the kind of guy who would have an affair with the wife of his close friend and campaign manager. Or who, when he was 39 and mayor of San Francisco, had a girlfriend who was too young to drink. Or who would dine with a group of 12 at The French Laundry just hours after warning Californians not to gather for the holidays due to COVID. Or who would marry Kimberly Guilfoyle.1 Or who would pose with Guilfoyle like this on Ann Getty’s rug:

LINK:https://www.joshbarro.com/p/gavin-newsom-is-gross-and-embarrassing

Call the guy out on his affair and hypocrisy all you want, but don't kink shame him for being attracted to drag queens. It's not my thing either, but to each their own.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 01:04:08 AM »

It's worth noting that Gavin Newsom essentially got away with something that pretty much ruined Boris Johnson's government (though didn't ultimately end it; that was for something else).  I'll vote for Newsom's reelection this November for policy reasons of course, but that was some BS right there.

The Brits will crucify their politicians for literally anything. They did Ed Miliband dirty just for eating a messy sandwich.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 02:38:17 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2022, 02:45:58 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

He is a contender right now he is second to Harris but if Tim Ryan wins his Senate seat and he said he is intending to run in 2028 not 24, he said we need new leadership but Ryan is friends with Biden but not close to Harris meaning that he will run in 28 if he wins his seat, all bets are off I would put Tim Ryan over Harris and NEWSOM

Right now

Harris
Newsom
Buttigieg

If Ryan wins his Senate seat

Tim Ryan
Newsom
Harris
Buttigieg

That's why Ryan said he doesn't believe Emerson, he intense on running for Prez, that has Nan Whaley down 16-19 Pts and Civiq polls show her down by 3 and DeWine win by 3 and Brown won, I expect DeWine to win but it can be an upset if Ryan wins just like DeSantis can lose if Demings upsets Rubio, 15 percent Blk is 5/6 percent in close races Rubio and Vance aren't gonna get any Blk vote but DeWine got 6/12 percent of Blk vote in 2018 against Cordray
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2022, 05:03:13 AM »

Meh. He's obviously a sleazebag and he almost certainly won't be President, but as far as his job as Governor goes, he's been signing some important legislation trying to remedy some of California's worst problem (while sadly remaining hamstrung by the absurd fiscal constraints we inherited from MUH TAX REVOLT). Now if he could please just sign the farmworkers unionization bill...
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2022, 08:33:44 AM »

Forget all that, good luck in states that have real winters when you banned generators in California.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 08:36:17 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2022, 08:43:39 AM by Death, Taxes, and Voting on Kidney Dialysis »

Meh. He's obviously a sleazebag and he almost certainly won't be President, but as far as his job as Governor goes, he's been signing some important legislation trying to remedy some of California's worst problem (while sadly remaining hamstrung by the absurd fiscal constraints we inherited from MUH TAX REVOLT). Now if he could please just sign the farmworkers unionization bill...

California is running a $100 billion surplus (thank you Jerry Brown!) and Newsom's party has super-ultra-mega-supermajority control of both houses of the legislature. No, they can't unilaterally repeal prop 13 (which is good, because prop 13 is a very good thing actually) but there's a giant pot of money sitting waiting for him to tap.

Oh, and if he actually cared about improving California rather than running for President he'd have repealed CEQA a long time ago.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2022, 08:39:16 AM »

The Brits will crucify their politicians for literally anything. They did Ed Miliband dirty just for eating a messy sandwich.

PhillyMag

Like affordability?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 08:41:19 AM »

More seems like a hit-piece to me. Newsom is one of my favorite politicians and I've recently grown to like him more. He has charisma, is good at messaging and building a record of progressive accomplishments. I think it's also admireable that he overcame alcoholism and other struggles.

A Newsom vs. DeSantis WH contest would be really interesting.
kwabbit

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 12:17:26 PM »

I had trouble understanding Johnson’s downfall because many US politicians also violated COVID precautions and did not pay much of a price. Seems extreme for it to topple his government.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 12:47:14 PM »

I had trouble understanding Johnson’s downfall because many US politicians also violated COVID precautions and did not pay much of a price. Seems extreme for it to topple his government.
BoJo's resignation was definitely not because of violating COVID protocols. At least, that wasn't the only reason.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2022, 01:25:29 PM »

Josh Barro is usually good but sometimes he really comes off a bitchy old queen.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2022, 01:32:30 PM »

It badly wounded him because the government implemented some pretty strict lockdown protocols, and he and his staff repeatedly broke their own rules, even getting fined for it. The image of the Queen sitting completely alone at the funeral of her husband of 70 years while folks at Number 10 were getting wasted at a party just the night before was a pretty brutal one.  A trickle of Conservative MPs calling for him to resign over the constant drip-drip of new revelations of rule-breaking became a small flood, but he eventually won the vote of confidence in early June albeit by a very underwhelming margin.

Only a few short weeks after that vote, one of the government's senior whips resigned after a drunken sexual assault.  It emerged that he had kind of a habit of it over several years, but more seriously, Johnson knew about this reputation when he hired him as a whip.  Already weakened by scandal after scandal for the entire first half of this year, a huge number of government ministers resigned within about two days, and that was essentially game over.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2022, 01:37:49 PM »

I'm wondering if being obese is becoming a political advantage as an increasing number of Americans suffer from the disease.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2022, 02:43:15 PM »

They called Slick Willie a "used car salesman" too, worked out pretty well for him.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2022, 02:48:39 PM »

I like him, and like him even more over the past year or so, when he has really been on the offensive against Republicans and DeSandwich in particular.

I'd easily prefer him over Harris, or indeed over most potential Democratic contenders not named Biden.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2022, 02:51:41 PM »

I'm wondering if being obese is becoming a political advantage as an increasing number of Americans suffer from the disease.

My best friend and I have a not-exactly-serious theory that the reason why Tester keeps winning in Montana is that people look at his gut and go "Nah he can't be a liberal, liberals are vegans and he's clearly not a vegan"
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2022, 03:16:35 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2022, 03:22:35 PM by hermit »

Some of the posters here sound like the detractors and nay-sayers during the recall election of Newsom. Newsom was re-elected with a sizeable majority in spite of the crap talk.

People don't really care about this gossip type crap talk anymore. After Trump, not one single Republican has a right to say anything about anyone who is a Democrat. It's just B.S. if they do. I would never call Newsom a saint, but he's doing a good job as Governor and that's all that matters.

If Trump was doing a good job as President, maybe he would have fared better and gotten a second term. But a crap person with crap results isn't very electable. Fool us once and that is enough.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies