"Not religious at all" is poised to overtake "moderately religious" as plurality self-ID response
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:07:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  "Not religious at all" is poised to overtake "moderately religious" as plurality self-ID response
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Not religious at all" is poised to overtake "moderately religious" as plurality self-ID response  (Read 811 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2023, 04:56:04 PM »

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 05:15:58 PM »

If this is accurate I could see the number rising to 50% in about five years from now.

"The old time religion" is slowing dieing and hopefully it brings down the Republican party with it
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 05:18:27 PM »

Obligatory “tweets are not news,” but big if true. American Christianity will hopefully not survive this century.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 05:46:53 PM »

Obligatory “tweets are not news,” but big if true. American Christianity will hopefully not survive this century.

I'm just really trying to get into your headspace about this, would it really have been better if I just posted the image instead of the tweet? Like actually what is the difference?
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 06:58:38 PM »

I'm just really trying to get into your headspace about this, would it really have been better if I just posted the image instead of the tweet? Like actually what is the difference?

Ideally you would've posted the actual source instead of a tweet.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 07:30:40 PM »

How about you go to the website where this information originally came from and verify it, and then post a link to that site so we can examine their methodology and whatever other findings they may have? I don't know who this guy is, I don't know what "General Social Surveys" is, and literally anyone can impersonate anything on Twitter. It's not a legitimate source for information.

Doing this would have several positive effects. First, it would avoid clogging up the forum with threads that have no significance aside from "someone said something on Twitter." Second, it would avoid the unfortunate situations you've found yourself in where you believe something that someone says in a Tweet, only for it to be debunked on Atlas. And third, it will keep these threads relatively readable once Twitter collapses in on itself like a dying star and all its links break.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 02:14:59 AM »

The General Social Survey has been running since 1972 asking questions on topics with broadly similar question wording.

Details on trends are here

https://gssdataexplorer.norc.org/trends

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 02:46:26 AM »

The General Social Survey has been running since 1972 asking questions on topics with broadly similar question wording.

Details on trends are here

https://gssdataexplorer.norc.org/trends

Thanks, Andrew.

Ferguson, in the future please try to link to sources other than contextless tweets or images when starting discussions about anything technical or statistical on boards I moderate.
James Monroe

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 03:59:28 PM »

This is a victory for rationalism and a downturn for medieval superstition.

Americans nowadays can see the fallacy of organized religion and the ways it has been incorporated into the nastiest people in society. This has been a long going problem throughout the centuries. The Catholic Church through years of child abuse hiding from the clergy. The Evangelical churches which have propelled reactionary movements in the country history. The Ku Klux Khan which took much of Christianity into their practices. Islam for murdering countless women over the years for daring to speak out against their misogyny.  Scientology which has silenced those behind closed doors for exposing their fraud. Donald Trump for instigating the religion right on the Supreme Court and across the country.

In a age of technological advancement why should people turn to backwards freaks when they can be served better through the means of science. Nobody needs to be brainwashed by the Bible, why should they self identified with organized religion.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 04:23:18 PM »

Americans nowadays can see the fallacy of organized religion and the ways it has been incorporated into the nastiest people in society. This has been a long going problem throughout the centuries. The Catholic Church through years of child abuse hiding from the clergy. The Evangelical churches which have propelled reactionary movements in the country history. The Ku Klux Khan which took much of Christianity into their practices. Islam for murdering countless women over the years for daring to speak out against their misogyny.  Scientology which has silenced those behind closed doors for exposing their fraud. Donald Trump for instigating the religion right on the Supreme Court and across the country.

In a age of technological advancement why should people turn to backwards freaks when they can be served better through the means of science. Nobody needs to be brainwashed by the Bible, why should they self identified with organized religion.

Pol Pot (atheist): ~3 million deaths
Joseph Stalin (atheist): ~9 million deaths
Mao Zedong (atheist): 40 to 80 million victims through starvation, persecution, prison labor, and mass executions

I can play the game too.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 04:39:40 PM »

Mao Zedong (atheist): 40 to 80 million victims through starvation, persecution, prison labor, and mass executions

I can play the game too.
Exactly.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 06:13:37 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2023, 06:53:15 PM by RINO Tom »

Americans nowadays can see the fallacy of organized religion and the ways it has been incorporated into the nastiest people in society. This has been a long going problem throughout the centuries. The Catholic Church through years of child abuse hiding from the clergy. The Evangelical churches which have propelled reactionary movements in the country history. The Ku Klux Khan which took much of Christianity into their practices. Islam for murdering countless women over the years for daring to speak out against their misogyny.  Scientology which has silenced those behind closed doors for exposing their fraud. Donald Trump for instigating the religion right on the Supreme Court and across the country.

I can play the game too.

He’s a one trick pony, best to ignore his Dunning Kruger bullshlt.  You can articulate a negative view of organized religion in an intelligent and worldly way, but you just simply won’t get that from this poster.  He honestly just doesn’t seem very smart.  Calling Christianity “Medieval” is strange, as well.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2023, 08:03:49 PM »

Knock it off or develop your arguments more.
James Monroe

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 09:22:43 PM »

Americans nowadays can see the fallacy of organized religion and the ways it has been incorporated into the nastiest people in society. This has been a long going problem throughout the centuries. The Catholic Church through years of child abuse hiding from the clergy. The Evangelical churches which have propelled reactionary movements in the country history. The Ku Klux Khan which took much of Christianity into their practices. Islam for murdering countless women over the years for daring to speak out against their misogyny.  Scientology which has silenced those behind closed doors for exposing their fraud. Donald Trump for instigating the religion right on the Supreme Court and across the country.

I can play the game too.

He’s a one trick pony, best to ignore his Dunning Kruger bullshlt.  You can articulate a negative view of organized religion in an intelligent and worldly way, but you just simply won’t get that from this poster.  He honestly just doesn’t seem very smart.  Calling Christianity “Medieval” is strange, as well.

My critique of Christianity being medieval was more about the attitude of organized religion than the period in which the cult aroused. With the decline of organized religion through the widespread of the internet many eloquent writers can tackle the contradictory nature of religion. 
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2023, 09:24:34 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2023, 09:36:34 PM by 14 Down, 36 To Go »

I do somewhat question polling questions that showed mostly stable results followed by one sudden spike (without an obvious precipitating event).  I have no doubt that the general trend has been in this direction, but the sudden spike in the last couple years doesn't feel accurate at all.

EDITED TO ADD: In some evangelical circles, "religious" has become a bit of a dirty word, as some view it as referring to rituals and liturgy that many evangelicals reject as unnecessary.  The idea is that "religion" refers to a more works-based theology.  Hence, the statement "it's not a religion, but a relationship" or even "I'm not religious, but I have a personal relationship with Jesus".
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2023, 09:35:32 PM »

I can play the game too.

My critique of Christianity being medieval was more about the attitude of organized religion than the period in which the cult aroused. With the decline of organized religion through the widespread of the internet many eloquent writers can tackle the contradictory nature of religion. 
The devil  is in the details.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2023, 12:06:12 AM »

I do somewhat question polling questions that showed mostly stable results followed by one sudden spike (without an obvious precipitating event).  I have no doubt that the general trend has been in this direction, but the sudden spike in the last couple years doesn't feel accurate at all.

The pandemic did do a number on religious practice; perhaps that affected self-identification as well?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2023, 06:03:25 AM »

I do somewhat question polling questions that showed mostly stable results followed by one sudden spike (without an obvious precipitating event).  I have no doubt that the general trend has been in this direction, but the sudden spike in the last couple years doesn't feel accurate at all.

One thing about the GSC, and why it's good for considering trends, is that the polling questions remain consistent over years/decades.

There's a tendency in the US for people to think of the non-religious/nones as being, to bastardise Steinbeck; 'temporarily embarrassed Christians' rather than for it to be taken at face value. That idea that people answering 'non-religious' are actually religious Evangelicals skewing the numbers, I don't put much stock in.

The pandemic did do a number on religious practice; perhaps that affected self-identification as well?

IIRC in Britain (where we are much further along in the post Christian environment) COVID restrictions to in person attendance did according to research, server a link in those who said they were nominally Christian, most notably with older casual church goers.

GSS is picking up similar sharp drops in 'belief' questions amongst 65+. 'Not religious' as a response was pretty flat over the last twenty five years and then doubled in the most recent survey.

Could be temporary of course.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2023, 08:01:13 AM »

It would be interesting, particularly with older people, if extraneous circumstances that caused them to not to attend services, caused them to be less religious. Getting pep talks as it were, would seem to matter after all.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2023, 08:37:49 AM »

I do somewhat question polling questions that showed mostly stable results followed by one sudden spike (without an obvious precipitating event).  I have no doubt that the general trend has been in this direction, but the sudden spike in the last couple years doesn't feel accurate at all.

I don't think religion numbers were particularly down in immediate post-pandemic polling, though. Although it's difficult to say for sure, my best guess would be a Dobbs effect.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2023, 10:27:36 AM »

I have to say this. I attend a well packed church. 5 masses packed every Sunday. Lay Volunteers dominate, young families, and broadly educated. I'm actually surprised at the level of education these people have.

I'm a member of the Knights of Columbus at the church; great group of guys. And, they're all for the most part very broadly educated. Civil Engineers, Software Geeks, Lawyers.

When we were doing volunteering work for the homeless, volunteers showed up. Families. A full crowd.

And the diversity ! We have people from the Philippines, Africa, Argentina,

Don't get me wrong, the sex abuse stuff in the Catholic Church has to be quenched once and for all.

But....I'm happy to be a Catholic.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2023, 10:29:50 AM »

If this is accurate I could see the number rising to 50% in about five years from now.

"The old time religion" is slowing dieing and hopefully it brings down the Republican party with it

American Christianity is more dominant with immigrants. https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2017/september/1-in-3-american-evangelicals-person-of-color-prri-atlas.html

They're also less likely to vote Republican, if at all.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2023, 06:04:48 PM »

I don't think religion numbers were particularly down in immediate post-pandemic polling, though. Although it's difficult to say for sure, my best guess would be a Dobbs effect.

Look at the dates on the chart again. The most recent numbers are from 2021. If they were from 2022 then immediate-term Dobbs backlash would be an even stronger explanation, yeah.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies