East coast liberalism v west coast
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:40:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  East coast liberalism v west coast
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which kind of liberalism do you follow?
West Coast(D)

East Coast(D)

Other(D)

Not a Democrat(but left leaning)

Not an American(but left leaning)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: East coast liberalism v west coast  (Read 2113 times)
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2022, 09:51:57 AM »

The West Coast is more Asian, more Latin American, less Black, less Italian or Irish but (I think) more German or Scandinavian, in large part more recently-settled and with much more recent explosive growth, has much fewer places with a history of population decline, became part of the United States later, is less dense and has more space, has proportionally more fringe low-church Christian groups and Mormons (although this is tangential to liberalism I suppose), fewer old mainliners and much fewer non-Hispanic Catholics (see point about Irish and Italians - I am assuming "East Coast" here effectively means "Northeast Coast" as it so often does) and a whole lot of other demographic differences that do not come to mind right now. All of this relates to an extent to the gross stereotypes discussed in the thread, but is not the same thing as them.

I think though that, even by these standards, the archetypal ‘West Coast liberal’ city in a lot of people’s minds - San Francisco - shares some distinct similarities with its East Coast counterparts: an extremely strong machine-based political culture, a long history of organised labour, and a Democratic Party which has tended to be dominated by Jews, ‘white ethnics’ and African-Americans (in spite of its most distinctive demographic feature being a very large Chinese population). It is true that San Francisco is a very unique place in a lot of ways, and the oldest major city on the West Coast (which probably helps to explain in part its more ‘East Coast’ characteristics), but I still think these similarities further highlight the difficulties in making the conceptual distinction that this thread attempts to.
LabourJersey
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2022, 09:37:10 PM »

There is a different between West Coast and East Coast, but it's not as significant as it was a few generations ago, and I don't think it's as simple as a difference in how much one cares about labor or the environment.

And as Alcibiades points out, the premier "West Coast" city has a lot of Eastern political tendencies.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies