RI-GOV Democratic Primary: who wins?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:11:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  RI-GOV Democratic Primary: who wins?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Select one.
Matt Brown

Helena Foulkes

Nellie Gorbea

Dan McKee

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: RI-GOV Democratic Primary: who wins?  (Read 606 times)
JMT

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2022, 11:27:48 AM »

Who wins the Democratic primary? It’ll be close, but I’m going with Dan McKee. I think the anti-McKee vote will split between the 3 other candidates which will allow McKee to squeak by with a plurality.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 11:59:00 AM »

Who wins the Democratic primary? It’ll be close, but I’m going with Dan McKee. I think the anti-McKee vote will split between the 3 other candidates which will allow McKee to squeak by with a plurality.

I agree. New Jersey 1977 vibes.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 09:32:21 PM »

Foulkes is surging and will probably take enough away from Gorbea to allow McKee to win. Gorbea stumbled in the last few weeks with issues surrounding ballot errors (she is secretary of state) and a subpar debate performance. Foulkes did well in the debates and received the coveted endorsement of Providence mayor Jorge Elorza (and also was endorsed by Nancy Pelosi who is coming to RI tomorrow if that means anything).

It's hard to tell if this vote will break down more on ideological lines (progressive vs moderate) or on incumbency lines (pro McKee vs. anti McKee). I'm not really sure. Matt Brown will lock up the small amount of hardcore Bernie people, but no one outside that group thinks a $19 minimum wage or enacting M4A in RI is feasible or even a serious campaign promise. He'll come in fourth.

My guess is it ends up something like this:

McKee 40%
Gorbea 30%
Foulkes 20%
Brown and others 10%

But I could be way off. Foulkes is really the wildcard here. A lot of her rise seems to come from self-funding or corporate cash, but either way her surge may have come too late, a la Amy Klobuchar in the 2020 New Hampshire primary.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 09:12:04 PM »

Foulkes is surging and will probably take enough away from Gorbea to allow McKee to win. Gorbea stumbled in the last few weeks with issues surrounding ballot errors (she is secretary of state) and a subpar debate performance. Foulkes did well in the debates and received the coveted endorsement of Providence mayor Jorge Elorza (and also was endorsed by Nancy Pelosi who is coming to RI tomorrow if that means anything).

It's hard to tell if this vote will break down more on ideological lines (progressive vs moderate) or on incumbency lines (pro McKee vs. anti McKee). I'm not really sure. Matt Brown will lock up the small amount of hardcore Bernie people, but no one outside that group thinks a $19 minimum wage or enacting M4A in RI is feasible or even a serious campaign promise. He'll come in fourth.

McKee 40%
Gorbea 30%
Foulkes 20%
Brown and others 10%

But I could be way off. Foulkes is really the wildcard here. A lot of her rise seems to come from self-funding or corporate cash, but either way her surge may have come too late, a la Amy Klobuchar in the 2020 New Hampshire primary.

It ended up being even closer than I thought. Foulkes actually tied with McKee on Election Day votes (she won by less than 100 I think) but came in third in both mail-in and early votes. If her momentum started just a bit earlier she would have won. Final result was 33% McKee 30% Foulkes 26% Gorbea. Matt Brown got 8%.

A very interesting election that of course got largely ignored on Atlas!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 05:42:39 PM »

McKee 40%
Gorbea 30%
Foulkes 20%
Brown and others 10%

It ended up being even closer than I thought. Foulkes actually tied with McKee on Election Day votes (she won by less than 100 I think) but came in third in both mail-in and early votes. If her momentum started just a bit earlier she would have won. Final result was 33% McKee 30% Foulkes 26% Gorbea. Matt Brown got 8%.

A very interesting election that of course got largely ignored on Atlas!
How much of an ideological divide vs incumbency divide was there?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies