Did The Trump Campaign Realize/Suspect They Were Going to Lose On The Morning Of The Election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:15:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Did The Trump Campaign Realize/Suspect They Were Going to Lose On The Morning Of The Election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: you know the drill. Drill Baby?....
(Not Trump, just his campaign staff)
Yes, his campaign staff suspected he would lose

No, his campaign staff did not suspect that he would lose

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Did The Trump Campaign Realize/Suspect They Were Going to Lose On The Morning Of The Election?  (Read 6298 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2022, 08:01:44 PM »

I mean, I remember Trump seeming tired when speaking to reporters, like he knew he was in for a rough night. But let's keep this to his campaign staff, not to Trump personally. Did they believe the polls, or were they all surprised by the results?
Cyrusman
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 11:26:37 AM »

I mean, I remember Trump seeming tired when speaking to reporters, like he knew he was in for a rough night. But let's keep this to his campaign staff, not to Trump personally. Did they believe the polls, or were they all surprised by the results?

My Guess is they saw the writing on the wall shortly after midnight on the east coast. AZ had been called by then and it appeared that WI, MI, and PA would go to Biden once all votes were in. MI definitely did not look good and WI and PA were not looking great either so it didn't matter if he even won GA.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 09:21:20 PM »

Things only started going badly with the surprise AZ call by Fox. Before then, he was winning in all the key states he had to. AZ turned it around.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 05:58:18 PM »

Depends on the staffer. Saw saw him as "the underdog", others in the know saw the real contest in December or January, and not a popularity contest but a martial one.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 06:08:51 PM »

I think his staff at least knew but were too terrified of breaking the news to him, and how.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 09:14:17 AM »

No, more American citizens voted for Trump.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 03:53:20 PM »

No and many of them still claim Biden is illegitimate
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 07:29:33 PM »

No, more American citizens voted for Trump.

No.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 07:31:22 PM »

I'm right. Biden is a fraud, elected by Soros and Gates with the Dominion machines.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2022, 07:44:58 PM »

I'm right. Biden is a fraud, elected by Soros and Gates with the Dominion machines.

Nah.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 08:03:37 PM »

I've read 8-9 books on the 2020 election

This seems to be the consensus.

Unlike 2016, Republican internal polling had Trump behind. But it did show him improving in the days leading up to the election. On election day, he was still behind but close enough that he could get lucky again. Around 8pm, things looked just like that, Trump was going to pull a upset.

Around midnight, campaign staff knew Trump was going to come up short. So did the Biden campaign and most media outlets.

To answer the OP question, yes and no. No, they did not have evidence of an upset unlike 2016. Yes they had some reason to be confident.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 09:46:27 PM »

You're wrong, and the ballots in Maine were stuffed to stop Gideon, and f*&ked with in North Carolina, and the FL GOP ratf&*ked the ballot design in Broward and Miami-Dade to inflate the real Florida result.

Try again.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2022, 11:59:02 PM »

If I could call the election with the exact map by 5 AM, as I did here, I am sure his people saw the writing on the wall around the same time or sooner.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2022, 07:26:22 AM »

I've never heard of an instance in which a Republican believed losing an election was possible so I doubt it
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2022, 07:29:42 AM »

If I could call the election with the exact map by 5 AM, as I did here, I am sure his people saw the writing on the wall around the same time or sooner.
And just a few hours before, well into election night, you thought that Kenton County was going for Biden.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2022, 04:33:18 PM »

And just a few hours before, well into election night, you thought that Kenton County was going for Biden.

I thought you were going to leave for a year, what happened to that?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2022, 02:18:30 PM »

No I did not. I made a joke post based on the early Kentucky results and the fact that they didn't instacall it, but knew they were a mail-in mirage. If you actually read all my posts that night, you would know that. In fact, if you even just read that same post, you would know that as I made it clear I was not serious.

It's not like for months or years after the fact I was in denial about Biden losing Kentucky or something, or made bets on him winning Kentucky after he already lost it...
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2022, 05:37:58 PM »

No. With my experience  watching content by Trumpist creators around this time (aka the sorts of people who would think similarly to Trump campaign staff), they likely believed that they would win big, and bigger than 2016 at that
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2022, 02:21:12 PM »

No I did not. I made a joke post based on the early Kentucky results and the fact that they didn't instacall it, but knew they were a mail-in mirage. If you actually read all my posts that night, you would know that. In fact, if you even just read that same post, you would know that as I made it clear I was not serious.

It's not like for months or years after the fact I was in denial about Biden losing Kentucky or something, or made bets on him winning Kentucky after he already lost it...

To be fair, Biden did the best in terms of % gap in Kenton County since Bill Clinton.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2022, 05:47:49 PM »

Trump actually did win by a lot, the election was stolen from him by the fake news media and big tech.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2022, 10:28:38 PM »

I think the more seasoned political operators in the campaign knew they were going to lose, while the wacky yes men and women that were in the inner circle of the campaign thought they were going to win and win bigger than they did in 2016.
Cyrusman
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2022, 11:13:51 AM »

Unlike 2016, Republican internal polling had Trump behind. But it did show him improving in the days leading up to the election. On election day, he was still behind but close enough that he could get lucky again. Around 8pm, things looked just like that, Trump was going to pull a upset.

Around midnight, campaign staff knew Trump was going to come up short. So did the Biden campaign and most media outlets.

To answer the OP question, yes and no. No, they did not have evidence of an upset unlike 2016. Yes they had some reason to be confident.

Of the 8-9 you read, is there one that really goes in depth and does a great job with the timeline of how the final stretch of the campaign went and what was going on within the Trump circles? If so, let me know which one. Really interested in reading one about that.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2022, 05:48:19 PM »

I think the more seasoned political operators in the campaign knew they were going to lose, while the wacky yes men and women that were in the inner circle of the campaign thought they were going to win and win bigger than they did in 2016.

I think this is the right answer. What's harder to gauge is the proportion of seasoned operators to "wacky yes men". What seems to have happened is that seasoned Republican operators either said "screw it, I'm out", or got kicked out. We saw this mainly at the highest level, but I'm sure it happened downstream too. So it's likely that by the 2020 election, Trump's staff was increasingly made up of yes-men. By now, that's almost entirely what it seems to be from everything we can see publicly, and frankly I don't see how any serious operative can still stick with Trump for 2024.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2022, 07:30:51 PM »

I think that most people knew, regardless of if they liked it or not, that Trump was not going to win that night. I remember that night, and afterwards, when people were actually more shocked than anything else at how relatively close the election ended up being, as I remembered many people unironically thinking that Trump was only going to win the guaranteed 20 states, plus like Ohio, Iowa, and one of Florida and Texas, so the fact that he picked both up, and North Carolina to tie the state count, and almost won Georgia and Arizona as well was a shock

But to go back to the original question, I think that they probably knew deep down, but didn't want to say it to avoid any public reaction.

- Morgan Kingsley

December 7 2022
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2022, 12:38:12 AM »

Of the 8-9 you read, is there one that really goes in depth and does a great job with the timeline of how the final stretch of the campaign went and what was going on within the Trump circles? If so, let me know which one. Really interested in reading one about that.
Let me remember than I will DM you. I bought them all on Amazon
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies