A state consisting of British loyalists

(1/2) > >>

tractorboy280:
Let's say that as part of some kind of settlement after the revolutionary war, British soldiers and monarchy sympathisers were given a piece of land to govern, which was at some point made a state (I'm not familiar enough with American history to know if this is realistic, but let's talk hypothetically here).

How would the politics and culture of this state have developed? What side would it have taken in the civil war? Culturally, would it be most similar to Britain or America today? What relics of its British loyalist past would remain?

I guess its civil war position would depend mostly on its geographic location. As for politics, my guess is that an appreciation for the military would persist today and affection for the crown would translate into a respect for tradition and traditional values today. This would probably lead to it being a conservative state today. But that might depend on how strong its cultural ties to Britain are, and for how long they remain: Britain is to the left of America on social and economic issues, so this state might be pretty liberal.

Bootes Void:
I mean what you have described  already exists. It's called Canada in case you have heard

Aurelius:
You're thinking of Canada and especially Red Tories.

Buffalo Mayor Young Kim:
You’re thinking of Ontario

President Punxsutawney Phil:
Welcome to the forum!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page