Atlasian Public Acts - Publication of the Game Engine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:01:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Public Acts - Publication of the Game Engine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Atlasian Public Acts - Publication of the Game Engine  (Read 10329 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2022, 05:54:20 PM »

If we are voicing our opinions, Ill add that I also support scrapping the concept. I am unfamiliar with these legislative elections. I wasnt in the game during the brief period where these were done, but as it was explained to me last night, basically whoever posts the most amount of useless spam gets rewarded with improbable NPC results thus incentivizing useless spam. Using the results from 2 years ago make no apparent sense in light of the current in game situation.

Also there isnt anything in the federal or Regional constitutions requiring elected legislative governments. IIRC Scott mentioned that in Fremont the Regional government has assumed basically all State and local taxation, powers, and functions. As I read the constitution, Regions in game are to States, what States in real life are to counties i.e. sovereign to constituent subdivision. Hypothetically I dont see any reason why Regions couldnt just essentially abolish state and local governments within the region or say make such governments subject to appointment by the Regional government.

Im not going to knock anyone for trying new ideas just because they didnt work, im just going to say imo I dont think this works at all. Especially when it results in nonsensical outcomes that are still being treated as in effect 2 years later.

I'm not speaking for the entire team, but if the Senate were willing to repeal the act creating the state NPC elections AND declare all officeholders null and void, and all storylines covering said officeholders as non-valid, it would get no objection from me.

You wouldnt happen to know what the federal law is called/when it was passed do you? Im not finding it.

I would not. I've been in and out of Atlasia for several years and this is my first time holding any kind of office. Weatherboy might, and I'm pretty sure anyone who was around at the time (Scott, for example) would know.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2022, 06:09:00 PM »

If we are voicing our opinions, Ill add that I also support scrapping the concept. I am unfamiliar with these legislative elections. I wasnt in the game during the brief period where these were done, but as it was explained to me last night, basically whoever posts the most amount of useless spam gets rewarded with improbable NPC results thus incentivizing useless spam. Using the results from 2 years ago make no apparent sense in light of the current in game situation.

Also there isnt anything in the federal or Regional constitutions requiring elected legislative governments. IIRC Scott mentioned that in Fremont the Regional government has assumed basically all State and local taxation, powers, and functions. As I read the constitution, Regions in game are to States, what States in real life are to counties i.e. sovereign to constituent subdivision. Hypothetically I dont see any reason why Regions couldnt just essentially abolish state and local governments within the region or say make such governments subject to appointment by the Regional government.

Im not going to knock anyone for trying new ideas just because they didnt work, im just going to say imo I dont think this works at all. Especially when it results in nonsensical outcomes that are still being treated as in effect 2 years later.

I'm not speaking for the entire team, but if the Senate were willing to repeal the act creating the state NPC elections AND declare all officeholders null and void, and all storylines covering said officeholders as non-valid, it would get no objection from me.

You wouldnt happen to know what the federal law is called/when it was passed do you? Im not finding it.

I would not. I've been in and out of Atlasia for several years and this is my first time holding any kind of office. Weatherboy might, and I'm pretty sure anyone who was around at the time (Scott, for example) would know.

Upon further review, it was a bunch of legislation in the South and Fremont.

This was the Fremont Legislation:

AN ACT
to bring state and local elections in line with parliamentary terms

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Local Electoral Calendar Act."

Section 2 (Electoral calendar for state and local elections)
i. Hereafter, all officers of the states (or territories) and municipalities of Frémont shall serve terms of six months commencing on the first Monday following their election.
ii. All regular state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be on the ultimate Saturday of the month in which they are given by the laws of those states (or territories) to proceed.
iii. The filing deadline for all state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be thirty days before the election.

Section 3 (Amendment to the Universal Suffrage Act)
i. §4(ii) of the Universal Suffrage Act is amended to read as follows:
No sooner than thirty days before the election, and no later than fifteen days before, the ministry of elections will send to every non-apparent citizen an envelope prominently labeled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."

This is the Southern Legislation:
Quote from: Southern State and Local Electoral Calendar Act
AN ACT
to bring state and local elections in line with southern regional terms

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Southern State and Local Electoral Calendar Act."

i. Hereafter, all officers of the states (or territories) and municipalities of the South shall serve terms of six months commencing on the first Monday following their election.
ii. All regular state (or territorial) and municipal elections in the South shall be on the ultimate Saturday of the month in which they are given by the laws of those states (or territories) to proceed.
iii. The filing deadline for all state (or territorial) and municipal elections in the South shall be thirty days before the election.

Section 3 (Postal Voting)
i. Registered voters (Atlasian's Citizens [both players and NPCs] of the Southern Region deemed eligible to vote) in the Southern Region may apply for a postal ballot no later than two weeks before the relevant election/s. People who meet the parameters will be sent by the relevant Southern Electoral body, an envelope prominently labelled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."

Section 4 (Voting Systems)
i. The voting system for state (or territorial) and municipal legislatures will be the same as the Southern Regional system. Unless decided otherwise at the state (or territorial) or municipal level.
ii. The voting system for state (or territorial) and municipal executives will be the same as the Southern Regional system. Unless decided otherwise by the states (or territorial) or municipal level.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2022, 07:00:47 PM »

GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2022, 10:20:31 PM »

Lumine gave the precedent during the KS crisis that the NPC government was still in office, so that's why I wrote this whole nullification story.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2022, 10:25:07 PM »

Also, could someone double-check and make sure the law still allows for members of the GM team to request the removal of game canon?

I think it still does, but the GM Team Act might have repealed that law.

If it does, I as the member of the GM team who wrote the story about the Riot Reform Act becoming law, will be seeking to ask the Senate, or whichever body under the law is responsible to do so to remove from canon all sections of the story related to any real-life or NPC Atlasian's, with the exception of New York City Mayor Lewis Silver, and all references to any New York City Mayor Election.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2022, 12:53:25 AM »

Upon further review, it was a bunch of legislation in the South and Fremont.

This was the Fremont Legislation:

AN ACT
to bring state and local elections in line with parliamentary terms

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Local Electoral Calendar Act."

i. Hereafter, all officers of the states (or territories) and municipalities of Frémont shall serve terms of six months commencing on the first Monday following their election.
ii. All regular state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be on the ultimate Saturday of the month in which they are given by the laws of those states (or territories) to proceed.
iii. The filing deadline for all state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be thirty days before the election.

Section 3 (Amendment to the Universal Suffrage Act)
i. §4(ii) of the Universal Suffrage Act is amended to read as follows:
No sooner than thirty days before the election, and no later than fifteen days before, the ministry of elections will send to every non-apparent citizen an envelope prominently labeled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."

This is the Southern Legislation:
Quote from: Southern State and Local Electoral Calendar Act
AN ACT
to bring state and local elections in line with southern regional terms

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Southern State and Local Electoral Calendar Act."

i. Hereafter, all officers of the states (or territories) and municipalities of the South shall serve terms of six months commencing on the first Monday following their election.
ii. All regular state (or territorial) and municipal elections in the South shall be on the ultimate Saturday of the month in which they are given by the laws of those states (or territories) to proceed.
iii. The filing deadline for all state (or territorial) and municipal elections in the South shall be thirty days before the election.

Section 3 (Postal Voting)
i. Registered voters (Atlasian's Citizens [both players and NPCs] of the Southern Region deemed eligible to vote) in the Southern Region may apply for a postal ballot no later than two weeks before the relevant election/s. People who meet the parameters will be sent by the relevant Southern Electoral body, an envelope prominently labelled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."

Section 4 (Voting Systems)
i. The voting system for state (or territorial) and municipal legislatures will be the same as the Southern Regional system. Unless decided otherwise at the state (or territorial) or municipal level.
ii. The voting system for state (or territorial) and municipal executives will be the same as the Southern Regional system. Unless decided otherwise by the states (or territorial) or municipal level.

And Lincoln:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=370693.0
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=392614.0
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=423315.0
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=441705.0
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2022, 01:26:27 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2022, 01:30:20 AM by Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

Likewise I'm really not keen on having the full NPC McCoy come back unless people are actually interested.

The other thing that stands out to me is if we really need to revisit the issue. All these NPCs and the state legislature breakdowns and partisan details and stuff were invented purely in service of a playable activity that would be unfeasible at the moment. If we're at the same situation as prior to NPC elections, when we assumed all these state and local governments did their own thing without specifying which name from which party did what, do we return to that original assumption, that sort of thing.

I'm not against some kind of simulation happening or whatever but the NPC elections concept exists purely to put names to faces at this point and that's something that a) we got along fine without prior to July 2020, and b) would be a pretty big effort by the GMs for not a huge amount of return in terms of augmenting the canon since we always assumed those governments were in the background anyway.

A couple of questions:

1. How is the GM team going to proceed with the NPC elections-related events going forward? There's mention of an upcoming NYC election. Will all the NPC legislatures and offices gradually update?

2. Related to that, if the terms of office are all six months long are we assuming that everyone elected between February and August 2021 has been in office for between thirteen and nineteen months?

3. Is Hurricane Ian canon?

I have another question about the Ukraine development but the profanity filter won't let me post all of it apparently.

1. Weatherboy and I are still working out the fine print, but there's a reason I chose to schedule the NPC election for the same day as the player elections. That way scoring would be minimal if we can't agree on a system.

2. The New York City office is term-limited specifically, based on the IRL two term limit. I personally lean towards the state Governors, not having term-limits, but Weatherboy and Forumlurker might have different feelings about that.

3. Previous GM's (Lumine in particular) have ruled that real life natural disasters still happen. There may or may not be a story about the impacts of Hurricane Ian, but assume Ian was the same storm as IRL.

"Based on the IRL two term limit" means the mayor would have termed out by last September. He was elected in July 2020, reelected in February 2021. Or is the assumption that every state government has been stuck in carbonite for a year? That itself would contradict some recent stories.

Not every IRL disaster has happened exactly the same way, or at all, the GMs have leeway to decide on those things. Off the top of my head Harvey hit a different part of Atlasia and another hurricane that season (Irma?) didn't happen at all.

Respectfully, I rather enjoyed my "useless spam" because I like writing speeches. Tongue

But yes, the parties that ran the best campaign tailored to a specific state always won by varying margins. The Utah campaign was by far the most memorable. However I do agree that it's unwise to delegate these legislatures as permanent. It's unfair to other parties, and I say that as someone whose party controls the majority of statehouses and governorships.

Fremont is different from Lincoln and the South in that we absorbed state services, so local governments do have less of a role but they are nonetheless allowed to enact laws primarily affecting social/law-and-order issues within the context of regional law. This wasn't the case for Louisiana, where the Labor governor had to raise taxes because the South does not assume funding for the states.

Which is rather ironic, because Tmth criticized Fremont for "triple taxation," even though we're the only region that eliminated this problem. As far as I know, states in the other two regions are fully responsible for their own budgetary situations, and their residents pay SALT in addition to regional and federal taxes.

This is ultimately why Fremont is in a better budgetary situation, where we basically have a 1950s tax code that is quite high but also not an impediment to economic growth, since only a few people pay anything close to the top rate.

I think the exact situation in Lincoln, based on the laws that get passed, is basically: "State Governments exist, but all land is primarily owned by Lincoln. If the region wants to build something, it can, and it doesn't need to compensate the state. States are also reliant upon the region for many programs."

Of course, I prefer Lincoln's tax system, which has been trending lower with each budget, but still runs a very healthy surplus. We don't abuse the people's money. Others should follow our example. Fremont's system might not reduce economic growth much, but it effectively employs a maximum income (100% of money beyond 10M is given to either the regional or federal government) which seems to at least say there should be a limit on such growth.

I agree we can't run NPC elections anymore, at least not the way we used to, but we also have to deal with the reality that we passed legislation mandating their existence, which has now generated a lawsuit stemming from the lack of such elections.

I don't care much what we do as long as we are consistent about it. If the GM Team wants to continue it in some fashion, the best way would be to declare that there were failures in holding elections for roughly the last year, so the most recently elected officeholders were allowed to remain in office. They would then run new elections, fully simulated and without a need for campaigning, according to a schedule they would create. This avoids having to re-write or repeal anything.

The main other option, if the Senate can still repeal stuff, is to have the regions repeal their NPC laws, and then the Senate repeal any NPC-related Canon since the last formal NPC elections (I think either June or August of 2021, someone should do some research.). Then we simply don't mention these governments going forward.

The lazy option is to just declare that everyone in NPC offices is serving an infinite term and lives forever, but I'd recommend against this since it seems to go against the democratic nature in which the game has been consistently run.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2022, 01:37:52 AM »

Likewise I'm really not keen on having the full NPC McCoy come back unless people are actually interested.

The other thing that stands out to me is if we really need to revisit the issue. All these NPCs and the state legislature breakdowns and partisan details and stuff were invented purely in service of a playable activity that would be unfeasible at the moment. If we're at the same situation as prior to NPC elections, when we assumed all these state and local governments did their own thing without specifying which name from which party did what, do we return to that original assumption, that sort of thing.

I'm not against some kind of simulation happening or whatever but the NPC elections concept exists purely to put names to faces at this point and that's something that a) we got along fine without prior to July 2020, and b) would be a pretty big effort by the GMs for not a huge amount of return in terms of augmenting the canon since we always assumed those governments were in the background anyway.

A couple of questions:

1. How is the GM team going to proceed with the NPC elections-related events going forward? There's mention of an upcoming NYC election. Will all the NPC legislatures and offices gradually update?

2. Related to that, if the terms of office are all six months long are we assuming that everyone elected between February and August 2021 has been in office for between thirteen and nineteen months?

I have another question about the Ukraine development but the profanity filter won't let me post all of it apparently.

1. Weatherboy and I are still working out the fine print, but there's a reason I chose to schedule the NPC election for the same day as the player elections. That way scoring would be minimal if we can't agree on a system.

2. The New York City office is term-limited specifically, based on the IRL two term limit. I personally lean towards the state Governors, not having term-limits, but Weatherboy and Forumlurker might have different feelings about that.

3. Previous GM's (Lumine in particular) have ruled that real life natural disasters still happen. There may or may not be a story about the impacts of Hurricane Ian, but assume Ian was the same storm as IRL.

"Based on the IRL two term limit" means the mayor would have termed out by last September. He was elected in July 2020, reelected in February 2021. Or is the assumption that every state government has been stuck in carbonite for a year? That itself would contradict some recent stories.

Not every IRL disaster has happened exactly the same way, or at all, the GMs have leeway to decide on those things. Off the top of my head Harvey hit a different part of Atlasia and another hurricane that season (Irma?) didn't happen at all.

Respectfully, I rather enjoyed my "useless spam" because I like writing speeches. Tongue

But yes, the parties that ran the best campaign tailored to a specific state always won by varying margins. The Utah campaign was by far the most memorable. However I do agree that it's unwise to delegate these legislatures as permanent. It's unfair to other parties, and I say that as someone whose party controls the majority of statehouses and governorships.

Fremont is different from Lincoln and the South in that we absorbed state services, so local governments do have less of a role but they are nonetheless allowed to enact laws primarily affecting social/law-and-order issues within the context of regional law. This wasn't the case for Louisiana, where the Labor governor had to raise taxes because the South does not assume funding for the states.

Which is rather ironic, because Tmth criticized Fremont for "triple taxation," even though we're the only region that eliminated this problem. As far as I know, states in the other two regions are fully responsible for their own budgetary situations, and their residents pay SALT in addition to regional and federal taxes.

This is ultimately why Fremont is in a better budgetary situation, where we basically have a 1950s tax code that is quite high but also not an impediment to economic growth, since only a few people pay anything close to the top rate.

I think the exact situation in Lincoln, based on the laws that get passed, is basically: "State Governments exist, but all land is primarily owned by Lincoln. If the region wants to build something, it can, and it doesn't need to compensate the state. States are also reliant upon the region for many programs."

Of course, I prefer Lincoln's tax system, which has been trending lower with each budget, but still runs a very healthy surplus. We don't abuse the people's money. Others should follow our example. Fremont's system might not reduce economic growth much, but it effectively employs a maximum income (100% of money beyond 10M is given to either the regional or federal government) which seems to at least say there should be a limit on such growth.

I agree we can't run NPC elections anymore, at least not the way we used to, but we also have to deal with the reality that we passed legislation mandating their existence, which has now generated a lawsuit stemming from the lack of such elections.

I don't care much what we do as long as we are consistent about it. If the GM Team wants to continue it in some fashion, the best way would be to declare that there were failures in holding elections for roughly the last year, so the most recently elected officeholders were allowed to remain in office. They would then run new elections, fully simulated and without a need for campaigning, according to a schedule they would create. This avoids having to re-write or repeal anything.

The main other option, if the Senate can still repeal stuff, is to have the regions repeal their NPC laws, and then the Senate repeal any NPC-related Canon since the last formal NPC elections (I think either June or August of 2021, someone should do some research.). Then we simply don't mention these governments going forward.

The lazy option is to just declare that everyone in NPC offices is serving an infinite term and lives forever, but I'd recommend against this since it seems to go against the democratic nature in which the game has been consistently run.

I think Weatherboy would prefer the first option, and I would prefer something somewhere between the first and second option (the NPC laws mandating player elections are repealed, but the governments and laws related to said governments still exist, and the officeholders are the IRL officeholders and follow the IRL election schedule in the United States. The GM team can assign corresponding Atlasian political parties (i.e Ron DeSantis as a Federalist, or Gavin Newsom as Labor) later.). No idea what Forumlurker would want.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2022, 10:47:07 AM »

A couple of questions:

I think Weatherboy would prefer the first option, and I would prefer something somewhere between the first and second option (the NPC laws mandating player elections are repealed, but the governments and laws related to said governments still exist, and the officeholders are the IRL officeholders and follow the IRL election schedule in the United States. The GM team can assign corresponding Atlasian political parties (i.e Ron DeSantis as a Federalist, or Gavin Newsom as Labor) later.). No idea what Forumlurker would want.
I think it depends on if we believe we as a team are able to and willing to consistently update NPC elections. Maybe one of us could specialize in NPC elections, or maybe do it together idk. If not then our only other option is to declare NPC governments basically null.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2022, 10:57:28 AM »

A couple of questions:

I think it depends on if we believe we as a team are able to and willing to consistently update NPC elections. Maybe one of us could specialize in NPC elections, or maybe do it together idk. If not then our only other option is to declare NPC governments basically null.

I feel like Weatherboy previously offered to do that as long as he is part of the team.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2022, 11:50:34 AM »

Reactionary be like:

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2022, 02:13:19 PM »

Well, there's nothing preventing the GM(s) from writing stories about state and local governments like we did for years before. If using the framework created by the NPCs is a problem then we can always retire the NPCs without abandoning the concept of local authorities? I don't think a formal repeal of every event is necessary, we've interacted enough with the NPC "history" to make that unnecessarily counterproductive (at least one player's self-admitted backstory comes from it) but the change from "state legislature A led by party X and party Y passed a law signed by governor P" to "this state passed a law" isn't necessarily a big one and all the team would realistically have to do is address this current issue and not outright refer to the NPC election timeline in future updates.

Also, could someone double-check and make sure the law still allows for members of the GM team to request the removal of game canon?

I don't see why it would be repealed. GMs have been allowed to retract their own stories before (Peanut most recently) and it wasn't a power specifically assigned to them as part of the previous law, I think.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2022, 02:15:12 PM »

Well, there's nothing preventing the GM(s) from writing stories about state and local governments like we did for years before. If using the framework created by the NPCs is a problem then we can always retire the NPCs without abandoning the concept of local authorities? I don't think a formal repeal of every event is necessary, we've interacted enough with the NPC "history" to make that unnecessarily counterproductive (at least one player's self-admitted backstory comes from it) but the change from "state legislature A led by party X and party Y passed a law signed by governor P" to "this state passed a law" isn't necessarily a big one and all the team would realistically have to do is address this current issue and not outright refer to the NPC election timeline in future updates.

I don't see why it would be repealed. GMs have been allowed to retract their own stories before (Peanut most recently) and it wasn't a power specifically assigned to them as part of the previous law, I think.

Thank you for that.

I'll be retracting the sections of the Riot Reform Act that deal with the New York City Election, pending Senate approval.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2022, 02:17:45 PM »

Thank you for that.

I'll be retracting the sections of the Riot Reform Act that deal with the New York City Election, pending Senate approval.

Oh wait, no, misread that. The Senate repeal law might actually have been repealed, I'd have to check the wording on that. But that was specifically designed to circumvent the GM in emergencies – if the GM wants to retract their own story there's nothing stopping them from doing so, and that's what Peanut and others have done.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2022, 02:28:34 PM »

Thank you for that.

Oh wait, no, misread that. The Senate repeal law might actually have been repealed, I'd have to check the wording on that. But that was specifically designed to circumvent the GM in emergencies – if the GM wants to retract their own story there's nothing stopping them from doing so, and that's what Peanut and others have done.

First off, can we get the Senate repeal law reintroduced (I'm not speaking for the rest of the current team, but as a team member, it would make my life easier if it were an option)?. Second, yes, I would like to retract the sections of the Riot Reform Act that deal with the New York City Election, but I don't want to retract the whole story. The rest of it, outside of the mention of the upcoming election, is fine as is.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2022, 02:34:12 PM »

Thank you for that.

First off, can we get the Senate repeal law reintroduced (I'm not speaking for the rest of the current team, but as a team member, it would make my life easier if it were an option)?. Second, yes, I would like to retract the sections of the Riot Reform Act that deal with the New York City Election, but I don't want to retract the whole story. The rest of it, outside of the mention of the upcoming election, is fine as is.

I suppose you could either edit the post with a note about the retraction or post a nice visible notice here on its own. I'll see if we can reintroduce the RETCON Act.

Still think it clashes with canon but honestly I kind of liked the story, will be somewhat sad to see it go.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2022, 02:43:18 PM »

Authors Note:

All sections of the story based on the passage of the Riot Reform Act that have to do with an upcoming New York City election are being deemed non-canon.

All other sections of the story remain canon.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2022, 09:25:28 PM »

Author's Note:

All stories regarding the nullification of regional laws are now deemed non-canon. Although public support may exist for such a thing, until new state legislatures are elected no such events can take place.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2022, 01:05:24 PM »

I have formally requested, on behalf of the team, that all NPC elected officials and NPC elections be declared non-canon via the newly passed RETCON Again Act.

As a team, we are working hard to learn from both our mistakes, and the mistakes of past GM's, so that they are not repeated.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2022, 05:45:56 PM »

ATLASIAN PUBLIC ACTS

DOMESTIC

ATLASIA ELECTS: PRESIDENT CAO REELECTED, SENATE EVENLY DIVIDED.
By NewYorkExpress

The October Presidential Elections were historic, as President Cao and Vice President ReaganClinton became the first ticket to be reelected in several years, bringing stability to Atlasia at a time when the country badly needs it. With decisions to be made over what to do about a possible intervention in the ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine, as well as spiking inflation, and a foreign policy dispute with Israel, Cao’s second term will have a full plate to deal with.

Many ordinary citizens are celebrating. Federalist Party activist Ron DeSantis stated that the President is a “great man who deserved reelection after bringing stability to our great nation”.

Others, however, have been bowed their heads in defeat. New York Barista and social organizer Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who attended a rally for Labor nominee Devout Centrist and was a prominent staffer for Labor Vice Presidential nominee Peebs stated that she was “depressed, and spent today, after the result was called for Cao, in my bedroom eating Ice Cream and binge-watching Game of Thrones.”

The February Presidential race is already beginning to take shape, as Spark has announced a bid to run for the Federalist nomination.

Florida recovers from Hurricane Ian
By NewYorkExpress

Hurricane Ian, which devastated Cuba, Florida and the Carolinas less than two weeks ago, killing at least 137 people, and causing over $50 billion in damages, has caused agony for many across the South.

Sanibel Island, where Ian came ashore, has been completely cut off from the rest of Florida, and an intense debate in the South and across Nyman is expected about rebuilding. At least one person, Michelle Knotworth of Naples, Florida, has stated that she thought “it was time to abandon hurricane prone areas like Florida”.

Some scientists believe that Ian’s strength is related to global climate change, but many are cautioning into drawing inferences into linking any one storm to global climate change.

DIA Bust!
By Forumlurker

“God save the Queen!”

These were the rallying cries of approximately 50-100 conspiracy theorists who had long threatened to storm the DIA airport to “find” the Late Queen Elizabeth, who they alleged was still alive and hiding in a bunker under the DIA airport. The conspiracy began on 4chan and was mostly seen as an inside internet joke, until some people took it literally. When this small group of theorists rushed into the DIA gates, security had already been well prepared, and nearly a dozen have been detained for attempting to deface property and for creating public unrest in an airport. The DIA airport has long been the source of theories, but since the incident, a webpage devoted to these theories on the website has been taken down, likely to prevent further spread.

While the incident itself resolved relatively quickly and only minor disturbances to operations were reported as a result of this “raid”, it does further demonstrate how the internet has become a source of misinformation and extremism, including an increasingly viral theory known as “O-Anon”. Just months after OBD’s controversy in Nyman and a constitutional crisis which followed, a growing number of searches have been related to a strange new theory known as O-Anon. Essentially, this theory states that OBD was actually a reformer, about to release a ton of information exposing every political party in Atlasia as being complicit in a pedophilic ring. This theory has no evidence and yet has gained traction, with even a few local labor candidates across the country beginning to adopt these theories. There remains concern by experts that Atlasian Democracy is still at major risk of downfall in the next decades, and these theories do little to calm those concerns.

Inflation Continues to Woe Atlasia
By Forumlurker

In a devastating blow to prior optimism among economists, this month’s CPI report shows that inflation continues to remain stubbornly high in Atlasia. Driving the high numbers is the recently concluded “blockade” of Taiwan along which has led to a significant disruption in supply chains that already were frazzled due to Covid-19. Currently, inflation has increased by 9.7% over the last year, a staggering figure that continues to worsen each month. Economists believe that extreme austerity measures may be the only way to address the spiraling problem, but acknowledge that doing such risks a major recession. Consumer Confidence has also taken a hit, reaching record lows this year. This likely is a result of inflation itself scaring consumers, however, the one silver lining is that low enough consumer confidence may be what is needed to finally curb purchases and cool the overheated economy.

What is interesting is despite the record low consumer confidence and sky high inflation, spending patterns seem to have remained relatively unchanged from their frenzied highs earlier this year. A reduction in the velocity of money is likely necessary to reduce inflation, but that seems to not be manifesting despite most conventional theories suggesting a drop in spending with lower consumer confidence. It is possible that further inflation expectations are driving Atlasians to buy more now out of fear of major price surges. Unfortunately, such spending can lead to a cycle of never ending inflation without severe austerity measures and rate hikes. All of these would likely cause a recession, but are the only policy tools left to resolve the cost of living crisis.

With the release of the new inflation report, stocks plummeted due to fears among investors of a rate hike. Ironically, the news of high inflation also caused commodity prices to lower consistently. However, these are extremely short term losses caused by worries of a recession, but are not likely to continue. Either way, the Cao administration will have a lot on their plate…while the Atlasian people will have less due to the cost of groceries.

INTERNATIONAL

BLOCKADE OF TAIWAN OVER, REPORTS OF UNREST ON CHINESE MAINLAND
By Weatherboy

KEELUNG CITY, TAIWAN - As men began to board a vessel to take the place of another returning from the night shift on Thursday morning, an urgent message was received. The PRC navy was retreating.

As the day went on it became more clear that this was not a small group of deserters, but in fact the end of the naval and aerial blockade. After 10 months of hardship and near-collapse of morale, Taiwan has held. President Tsai made a speech shortly after it became clear that the blockade was ending, talking at great length about the “camaraderie and unity of our people in the face of overwhelming odds'', as well as thanking “our great allies both inside and outside for their aid in these trying times.” Indeed, Atlasia’s decision to airlift supplies, reminiscent of the Berlin airlift in the 1940s, is credited with saving the island from devastation if not outright collapse.

Although the blockade is over and supplies may return to the island, the damage that has been done will still last for months if not years, and death tolls are believed to be in the thousands due to food shortages and cyber attacks affecting hospitals. President Tsai has publicly requested that allied nations send aid packages to rebuild and also to mitigate potential issues with blockades in the future, mostly through expanding storage capabilities and increasing self-sufficiency by improving the agricultural industry, including expanding vertical farming. Some Atlasian groups, mainly including workers in the fields Taiwan wants to expand, have raised objections to aid going to the nation for this purpose, with one statement saying that “Atlasia should not be helping nations take away our job market.”

Speculation abounds regarding the reasons for the PRC’s withdrawal from the blockade, but reports out of the mainland have painted a picture of widespread discontent as the cost of the blockade mounted. Images that have circulated on social media show protesters facing armed troops, and in one case overrunning a tank. These protests may also be fuelled by a burnout from continued COVID lockdowns, although how many protesters joined for which reason is near impossible to ascertain.

On top of this, a report of a mass riot in a prison camp in the Altay Prefecture of Xinjiang has also surfaced, with recently released satellite imagery confirming a large fire in the area believed to house security. Aside from this, however, there is little known about the damage caused or whether similar incidents have happened at other camps. It is speculated, however, that military force is being dispatched to the area to put down the riots, a force which may have been unavailable with the ongoing blockade. The PRC’s military capabilities were severely crippled after the North Korean Civil War, and as such the consensus opinion is that the PRC could not maintain the blockade and keep domestic stability at the same time.

There is some questions surrounding how much confidence military and other officials in the PRC have in Xi Jinping after this failure, especially due to the cost of maintaining the blockade for what ended up being no gain, but from the outside it appears his position remains stable, if slightly less so than before.

East African Drought
By Forumlurker

Due to historic weather conditions, the Horn of Africa is seeing its worst drought in over 40 years. Somalia is especially being hit hard, with millions of Somalis living in food insecurity and a very possible mass famine on the horizon. It does not help Somalia nor neighboring Ethiopia and Eritrea that there remains major instability in the region, and experts fear those tensions could rise as the food supply dwindles.

However, when asked about the weather conditions, Ethiopian PM Abiy Amhed addressed reporters emphasizing that,”Ethiopia is secure and will persevere through these tough conditions. Thanks to the resilience of our farmers and the assistance of other producers we can rely on for extra grain, we will make it through the crisis a stronger and better nation.” However, people are less optimistic, with panic buying activity and hoarding already being reported throughout the region.

The region already became the spotlight of attention after several high profile terrorist attacks, including the recent mass shooting in Addis Ababa this New Year. On a silver lining, recent analysts have noticed a sudden drop in military activity along the Tigrayan battlefront, perhaps signaling a deescalation of the conflict soon.

France Moves to Right as Marine Le Pen is elected President, Socialists hold Narrow Parliamentary Majority.
By NewYorkExpress

Over the past month, France held its Presidential and Parliamentary elections, with the Government of President Edouard Phillipe and Prime Minister Christian Jacob on the line. Phillipe’s popularity had dropped dramatically throughout the past few years, as France responded to COVID-19, and the burning of Notre Dame, proved to one disaster too many for Phillipe to recover from, as a scandal that emerged in the weeks before the election showed money meant to be going for the reconstruction of Notre Dame instead going into the campaign coffers of Phillipe and his political party, leading prosecutors in Paris to open a criminal investigation.

Polls a few months out showed Phillipe as far down as fourth or fifth place, and despite improving as the situation between Russia and Ukraine deteriorated it was just too little, too late.

One of the bigger stories of the election was the near revival of the late Emmanuel Macron’s La Republique En Marche, now under the leadership of Stanislas Guerini who pulled of a shock fourth place finish despite essentially being left for dead with no resources at the beginning of the campaign, due the party’s collapse following Macron’s death.

French Presidential Election-First Round
National Assemblywoman Marine Le Pen (National Rally): 19%
Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo (Socialist) 18.46%

Incumbent Edouard Phillipe (Les Republicans) 18.12%
Assemblyman Stanislas Guerini (La Republic En Marche) 17.21%
Pau Mayor Francois Bayrou (MoDem) 9.97%
Assemblyman Jean-Christophe Lagarde (UDI) 9.52%
Assemblyman Jean-Luc Melenchon (LFI) 7.72%

The runoff between Le Pen and Hidalgo, scheduled for September 27, was unusually nasty, between a high-profile right-wing politician with authoritarian leanings, and a left-wing politician, whose city is in the spotlight as they host the 2024 Summer Olympics.

However, it was Le Pen who emerged victorious, as Hidalgo ran up the margins in Paris, but lost to Le Pen almost everywhere else, much to the horror of many in Europe.

French Presidential Election, Runoff:
Marine Le Pen: 54.768%
Anne Hidalgo 45.232%
President Before the Election-Edouard Phillipe
President After the Election- Marine Le Pen

The Parliamentary elections, meanwhile, saw Hidalgo’s NUPES grouping take a narrow majority in the National Assembly, and a slightly larger majority in the Senate. Le Pen has thus chosen former Ecology Minister Segolene Royal as her first Prime Minister.

French Parliamentary Elections:
National Assembly:
NUPES: 309 seats
Ensemble: 100 seats
National Rally: 80 seats
The Republicans: 75 Seats
LIOT: 13 seats

Senate:
SER: 177 seats
LR: 71 seats
UC: 35 seats
RDSE: 26 seats
CRCE: 19 seats
LIRT: 18 seats
RDPI: 2 seats

Burkina Faso Faces Military Ccoup
By Forumlurker

Once again, the avenues of Ouagadougou were rife with intense gunfire exchanges as the second power transfer in the past year took place in Burkina Faso. However this was no ordinary election, but rather the second coup to have hit the land of upright men in 2022. Both coups took place amidst growing concerns over national security in the country due to continued terrorist attacks by Islamic Extremist groups such as Al-Qaeda.

This violence began (and still takes place) in Mali, but has since spread to neighboring countries, being a constant source of fear for the millions of Burkinabes, especially in the North and Eastern parts of the country. Although yet another promise was made to end these attacks, security experts and policymakers have little reason to believe that there is likely to be a significant decrease in the numbers, with a possibility of increased violence due to price pressures which have further caused living conditions to deteriorate in the already impoverished country.

Beyond Burkina Faso, experts fear a rise in the strength of Islamic extremist groups in the Sahel, especially as food insecurity increases and popular dissatisfaction/desperation continues to rise.

Lula Returns to Presidency of Brazil, Avoids Runoff
By NewYorkExpress

Brazil went to the polls today to vote for the Presidency in a referendum on President Jair Bolsonaro, whose popularity has declined at home due to his response to COVID-19, and internationally, due to his allowing the Amazon rainforest to be burned by ranchers and land speculators.

The election was scheduled for two rounds, with the winner needing to clear 50% of the vote to win outright.

Bolosonaro’s biggest threat throughout the campaign had been the candidacy of Former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva. Once imprisoned as part of the Operation Car Wash Scandal, Da Silva’s political comeback was made complete, with his outright victory in the First Round.

Brazilian General Election

Worker’s Party:  Former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva: 51.452%
Liberal Party: Incumbent President Jair Bolsonaro: 29. 657%
Christian Democracy: Former Federal Deputy Jose Maria Eymeal 8.564%
Democratic Labour: Former Federal Deputy Ciro Gomes 7.353%
Brazil Union:  Senator Soraya Thronicke: 1.628%
Brazilian Democratic Movement: Senator Simone Tebet: 1.256%

President Before Election: Jair Bolsonaro

President After Election: Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva

Russia-Ukraine Stalemate Continues, Zelensky Commissar Order Quietly Repealed.
By NewYorkExpress

As the military conflict between Russia and Ukraine stretches into what looks like a stalemate, causing some observers, such as retired Atlasian diplomat and Ukraine expert Marie Yovanovitch to opine that the situation, which continues to see a stalemated conflict zone of troops fighting near Sumy, and near Dinipro, as well as a third hot zone as part of a Ukrainian offensive towards Crimea, is comparable to the Korean War between North Korea and China and the former United States and South Korea between 1950 and 1953, which technically hasn’t ended, and is only will have considered to end once both countries ratify the Panmunjom framework. That war spent many years bogged down in a stalemate, and Yovanovitch, speaking to CNN’s Christiane Amanpour, stated that this one likely would remain one too, unless NATO got involved, or Atlasia intervened by itself.

One of the most aggressive acts of the war, meanwhile, by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, based on the Nazi’s Commissar orders, requiring the execution of any captured Russian soldiers, was quietly repealed after widespread disobedience from Ukrainian soldiers, and threats to bring Zelensky before the International Criminal Court on War Crimes charges.

A UN resolution, proposed by the United Kingdom, to institute sanctions against both Ukraine and Russia is awaiting a vote, but it is expected to be vetoed by Russia, and possibly China.

Russia-Ukraine War Divides Europe
By NewYorkExpress

European leaders over the past few weeks have largely been divided by the war between Russia and Ukraine, and how best to respond to it.
Newly sworn in Italian Prime Minister Matteo Salvini and British Prime Minister Owen Smith have led a group of nations (Italy, the United Kingdom, Portugal, Malta, Greece, Switzerland) that have either sought to remain neutral or sanction both sides. Meanwhile, Germany’s Chancellor Olaf Scholz, leads a bloc of Nations, mostly former Soviet satellite states, but also represented by Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte and Austrian Prime Minister Alexander Schallenberg are openly siding with Ukraine. Finally, Hungary’s Viktor Orban, and newly elected French President Marine Le Pen, have openly declared their support for Russia.

Many other countries around the world are waiting to see what Atlasia will do, but many believe any decision on what to do in this conflict will not happen until after the swearing in of the new Congress, and Atlasian political and military analysts believe that involving the military could lead to catastrophic results.

GM Team Vote was Unanimous
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2022, 05:47:58 PM »

Confirming Unanimous Vote.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2022, 06:53:56 PM »

Confirmed
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2022, 09:02:30 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2022, 12:33:00 PM by GM Team Member NewYorkExpress »

The following statement is my personal opinion, and does not reflect the opinion of the GM Team.

It has come to my attention that a secession bill was introduced in Lincoln recently. This is blatantly unconstitutional in my opinion, and I will not speak for the rest of the team, who will have their own opinions on the situation, I personally as a member of the team will ignore any Lincoln secession if this bill passes in future GM storylines.

It seems the author of said legislation clearly has not learned the lesson of the Kansas Crisis, and that, in my opinion is shameful.

We can and should do better.

NewYorkExpress.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2022, 04:45:17 AM »

Editor's note:

While no one on the GM Team claims to be able to see the future IRL, we'd just like to say "told you so" in regards to the current China storyline.

NewYorkExpress.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2022, 07:54:54 PM »

ATLASIAN PUBLIC ACTS - NEW YEARS 2023 EDITION

DOMESTIC

Elon Musk buys Twitter, immediately bans multiple Atlasian Politicians:

By NewYorkExpress
 Business magnate Elon Musk’s purchase of social media site Twitter, for $44 million became official last week, and today several Atlasian politicians woke up to find that they were permanently banned from the popular social media site for no explainable reason.

Among the victims are Lincoln Deputy Dwarven Dragon, Fremont First Minister and Secretary of State Scott, Vice President ReaganClinton and Senator-Elect Spiral.

None of the politicians have made posts that violated Twitter’s terms of service in the past six months.

No one at Twitter was able to be reached about the bans in question at press time.

Scientists Warn of wildfire risk in Fremont
By Forumlurker

Garden City, Kansas: In the midst of what has currently been one of the worst droughts in recent history for much of Western Kansas and Eastern Colorado, scientists have become increasingly worried of a potential wildfire risk looming on the horizon. Although not currently the typical fire season by any means, local environmental researchers have noted the historic low levels of precipitation coupled with a lack of safeguards in place may lead to a serious risk of a large-scale disaster. In the words of local Kansas meteorologist, Jeff Elliot, “Forget the dust bowl, we are looking at a fire bowl if we do not prepare as a community and as a country.”
This would not be the first time the region has suffered from wildfires, with the Anderson Creek Fire just last year burning hundreds of thousands of acres.

Another potential worry is that the violence/instability this year in Kansas could have impacted emergency response teams negatively. Although as a whole the state is still operating normally, some small towns in Western Kansas remain bitterly divided over the tensions that escalated just a few months ago. While services are back at full capacity, social trust remains lacking in these formerly tight knit communities, and journalists on the ground have noted a feeling of tension even now. Southern and Fremonter flags are seen hanging throughout, representing a sharp new social cleavage that would be unfathomable to people here just a few years ago.

Whether or not a wildfire would exacerbate these tensions is unknown, but both local police and fire departments are on high alert and preparing for the worst.

Carole Baskin Arrested at Florida Home, Statement from Southern AG Expected
By Weatherboy

TAMPA, FLORIDA – With the passage of S.22-4.72, the Tiger King Act, earlier this week, many expected swift action to be taken against Carole Baskin, with a point included that singled out the case of the 1997 disappearance of her husband, Don Lewis. Those expectations were proved correct early this morning as a warrant to search the premises of Big Cat Rescue Corp. was issued, and Tampa Police were spotted at the scene around 8:45. Police maintained a perimeter around the premises, meaning that news outlets were only able to see minor details of the search. By the end, however, around 9:30 am, Carole Baskin was led out to a police car in handcuffs, screaming obscenities at the officers and at least once saying “The bastard deserved it!”. A statement from the Southern Attorney General is expected later today, to clarify the situation.

Social Advocacy Organizations and Atlasian Business owners condemn Atlasian bill
By Forumlurker

In a recent piece of legislation passed in Nyman, the consideration of race, gender, or other factors in hiring along with strict limitations on diversity training and goals were pushed onto companies greater than 25 people in size. Although labeled as an “anti-racism” act, numerous racial and social advocacy organizations such as the NAACP have come out and condemned this decision, citing it as overly restrictive on diversity training and as attempting to erase history by forcing silence in training on mentions of racism in Atlasian society.
“It is a shame that the Cao administration and MrReactionary would rather forcibly shut down crucial conversations on systemic biases within Atlasia that have persisted as a result of our history and culture than address these issues for a stronger Atlasia.”
Additionally, such legislation also would likely come into conflict with a number of hiring programs companies seek to increase their representation of different demographics. As one anonymous CEO told us, “The fact is, we need diversity to know how to advertise to different demographics. We need diversity to understand how to expand our outreach and markets. The current government is forcing businesses to ignore key tenets of business and marketing for their social agenda.”
Many experts on the topic who wish to remain anonymous out of fear of potential repercussions have shared similar sentiments, arguing that while there is a legitimate conversation to be held, that this bill may severely hurt businesses long term.

Thousands of deadbeat Southern Parents protest at making child support payable from conception
By NewYorkExpress

Over 75,000 deadbeat parents of both genders marched in Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, and Dallas, over legislation, the Child Support Begins at Conception Act, that recently passed the Chamber of Delegates by a unanimous vote. While the march was peaceful in Dallas, Miami, and Atlanta, three people were arrested in New Orleans after a police car was overturned and another police car was set on fire. Officers are still looking for two more suspects in those circumstances.

Meanwhile, someone, believed to be a deadbeat parent, mailed a letter with a suspicious white powder to Governor LouisvilleThunder, along with a note warning him not to sign the legislation. Tests on the powder for anthrax came back negative, and the powder was revealed to be granulated sugar.

There has been no response from the Governor’s office to this point.

Mysterious kidnappings in Utah places state on edge
By Forumlurker

Provo, Utah The Salt Lake Valley is widely considered by many of its residents as a refuge of family values and community, a last vestige of a time long passed when neighbors were friends and the church brought the towns together. That is what made a series of kidnappings across the state, from Springville to Bingham City, extremely shocking. Over the past month, 20+ children have reportedly gone missing in recent days. Additional missing children cases which the FBI considers possibly connected are present in Oregon, Montana, and Colorado. However, the vast majority still are in Utah, suggesting some local actors. Parents are on edge, many who previously would not have thought twice about letting their children play outside now tracking their kids every movement. Local police have attempted to maintain a sense of calm, but as the numbers grow higher each week, and as zero of the missing children have been found at this point, parents are hugging their children extra tight tonight.

INTERNATIONAL

PANMUNJOM FRAMEWORK FINALLY GOES INTO EFFECT

By Weatherboy

PANMUNJOM, KOREAN DMZ – The Presidents of North and South Korea, Choe Ryong-hae and Lee Jae-myung, finally shook hands on December 15th at the site of so many talks before, as the Panmunjom Framework for reunification finally went into effect. Having passed many hurdles, especially the South Korean public’s skepticism of the framework, the agreement creates a Korean Economic Community as well as a 10-year period before a referendum on reunification will occur. Migration controls, amnesty for the new regime, and slow disarming of the ”demilitarized” zone also went into effect, with Presidents Ryong-hae and Jae-myung welcoming a North Korean family, already approved for entry in preparation for the event, into South Korea, while also welcoming a South Korean into North Korea. It’s a surprising sign of how far the divided peninsula has come in the process of reunification. In a joint statement, the Presidents said “In 10 years we hope to stand here among many others to witness the family of Korea become one again.”

WORLD CUP: ARGENTINA BRINGS IT HOME AMONG CONTROVERSIAL TOURNAMENT

By Weatherboy

DOHA, QATAR – Cheers rang out for miles around in Doha, and in many cities in Argentina, as Gonzalo Montiel’s penalty shot skidded into the goal, clinching the final game for his home country after almost losing it for them by giving competing France a penalty near the end of extra time, one which tied the game 3-3 and left the fate of the tournament to a penalty shootout.
The dramatic end of the tournament, normally something that would easily be the most memorable thing about it, instead contends with several other events and controversies surrounding the event for that spot.
Atlasian activist groups protested in attempts to force Atlasia to refuse participation in the games, citing Qatar’s poor human rights record. These worries were exacerbated by the complete ban of any rainbow attire, whether intended to support LGBT+ people or not. Grant Wahl, an Atlasian journalist, was detained for wearing such a shirt, something widely criticized in the media and led to extreme scrutiny of his death later on during the games, although an autopsy conducted in New York led to the cause of death being ruled an aortic aneurysm, with no indication of foul play.
This has not stopped many from claiming that Qatar had him killed. Another incident occurred with a man running onto the field during a game between Portugal and Uruguay, waving a rainbow flag and wearing a shirt saying “PEACE IN UKRAINE” on one side and “RESPECT FOR IRANIAN DEMOCRACY” on the other. The man was detained but released shortly after.
These two events were among many that surround the tournament in controversy arguably more notable than the tournament itself. While the diplomatic position of Qatar is certainly amplified, so too are the issues surrounding it, something which has caused Western investment in the nation to, ironically, plummet. Only time will tell how much hosting the cup has impacted the small Gulf nation, as they look to recoup their costs from building several stadiums that are unlikely to see heavy use as the legions of fùtbol fans return home.

Weibo Operations shutdown
By Forumlurker

Chongqing, China: With the recent protests over Covid-19 restrictions in mainland China having yet to have fully simmered despite expectations and promises by the CCP, Chinese authorities have begun to crack down on dissent through a series of emergency measures, including a temporary nationwide shutdown of the popular social media site, Weibo. While likely unknown to most Atlasians, Weibo is one of the most used social media websites in China, functioning as almost a Chinese version of Twitter, but with far more scrutiny and censorship by the government. However, even with such scrutiny, recent trends in Weibo traffic have found numerous code phrases for anti lockdown and anti-Xiist sentiment have begun trending rapidly since the start of these protests with no drop. Additionally, Weibo has been one of several platforms utilized to organize and coordinate protests against the regime.

Chinese officials announced a temporary shutdown of Weibo operations  due to potential user security issues, citing numerous phishing scams as the main reason for the shutdown. However, outside observers are near unanimous in their assertion that this shutdown has little to do with phishing, and much more to do with preventing further protests as much as possible. Despite these measures, protests still continue in the streets, with an estimated 32 people having been killed in the past few weeks as a result of the protest instability. Although verified sources are difficult to come by, we currently do have evidence that these protests are ongoing despite attempts at crackdown.

Jiang Zemin dead at 96
By NewYorkExpress

Former Chinese President Jiang Zemin, who led China out of isolation after the crackdown in Tiananmen Square in 1989, and is responsible for returning Hong Kong and Macau to China, died at 96 years old of complications from Leukemia, and Multiple Organ Failure.

Chinese Paramount Leader Xi Jinping has announced thirty days of mourning for Zemin. For Jinping, who faces protests at home, and international condemnation of his failed blockade of Taiwan, Zemin’s death and the mourning is a chance to restore his, and the Chinese Communist Party’s popularity.

Violent protests surge in Pakistan over COI, flooding response, Imran Khan
By Forumlurker

Rawalpindi, Pakistan: Pakistan has been no stranger to instability this past year. With the drama surrounding Imran Khan and him having been ousted from his PM role along with the devastating floods, protests have continued to surge across the country and are showing no signs of simmering down.
This past month with the assasination attempt on Khan (who has made a near full recovery), protests had been paused temporarily, but with his recovery have become even more prominent as a call for early elections has become a rallying cry across the country. Although Khan has since delayed his planned march to Islamabad out of “security concerns”, police and military are preparing for the worst, with civilian buildings being used to store and shelter soldiers at this point. Experts in the region fear further escalations could lead to the destabilization of the already fragile state.

Tigrayan Truce
By Forumlurker

Mekelle, Ethiopia: Despite worries of a further escalation of the Ethiopian-Tigrayan conflict, especially with the now infamous church terrorist attack in Addis Ababa, Ethiopian and Tigrayan officials shocked the World with the annuncement of a truce between the two forces for the time being. The humanitarian truce agreed upon will end the two years of war which has beleaguered the region. Additionally, the truce allowed for the first humanitarian aid packages to be sent to the Tigray region which has faced a severe humanitarian crisis in recent months due to a lack of supplies causing mass starvation and disease outbreaks. It should be noted for observers that this truce does not represent a complete end of hostilities by any means. Officially, the war is still going on and while fighting has ceased, a truce is not a guarantee of peace as has been seen in recent history. However, negotiators are cautiously optimistic about the prospects of a peaceful arrangement, with AU head Macky Sall expressing a belief that the war would be officially over by June next year.
Outside observers do remain skeptical given anecdotal reports of continued clashes between militias and looting within the region itself. Additionally, there remains a fear that Eritrea will seek to escalate the situation further even as peace talks proceed. Others have noted that this could be a cynical ploy by the Abiy regime to take time to consolidate power and crack down upon the Oromo and Al Shabaab pressures domestically before moving forwards with a final push into the Tigrayan heartland.

Skepticism over Tunisian elections among populace
By Forumlurker

Tunis, Tunisia: Walking along the streets of Tunis, one would be hard pressed to find anything out of the ordinary in the country. From the outside, it appears to be relatively stable and prosperous, especially in comparison with its unfortunate neighbor to the east. However, below the veneer lies a feeling of doubt and cynicism among the Tunisian people going into what is technically an election this month. But ask any Tunisian, and they will say otherwise,

“It is all a sham, our votes do not matter here.” (Anonymous)
These words reflect a complete deterioration of opinion of current president, Kais Saied, who took power two years ago and has passed a series of controversial measures designed to reduce competition and consolidate his power over the country. Voter participation is expected to be extremely low due to such pessimism, and an air of unease looms as inflation woes and corruption charges further reduce trust in the government’s ability to serve the population.

Putin invites Mongolia to join the CTSO
By Forumlurker

Moscow, Russia: As tensions increase in Ukraine and the country appears to be on the brink of war, Putin showed earlier today his desire to look east as well. In a speech to the press, Putin reported that he was “hereby inviting our Mongolian brothers to join our Collective Security Organization”. Some foreign policy experts wonder whether this is a cynical move to further establish Mongolia as a strong buffer state against a rising China. While the Russo-Sino relationship has long been relatively ignored by the media, the two have not always been so close, with former president Nixon even capitalizing off of the differences between the two in his infamous Ping-pong Diplomacy strategy. Either way, how Atlasia and CHina respond will be of interest to observers invested in the region, even if it is unlikely Mongolia does accept the offer.

Peruvian Crisis, Castillo impeached, arrested
By NewYorkExpress

Unpopular Peruvian President Pedro Castillo began today by attempting to dissolve the Peruvian Congress, and pass a new Constitution, the nature of which is currently unknown, to avoid facing impeachment charges. He ends today in a jail cell, facing charges of Rebellion.
Dina Boularte, who had been Vice President, will be elevated to the Presidency, and become the first female President in Peru’s history. However, with over 60% of Peruvians supporting early elections as recently as September, Boularte has a rocky road ahead if she wants to win the Presidency in her own right in the future.
For Castillo, who has faced numerous investigations since being sworn in, this likely the end of the road for his political career.

Peruvian Army massacres civilians in Ayacucho
By NewYorkExpress

Protests against the government of newly sworn in President of Peru Dina Boularte reached a boiling point in Ayacucho, as demonstrators demanding the resignation of Boularte’s government and immediate elections, stormed the airport, leading to eighteen dead, and fifty-nine injured.
The Minister of Education, Patricia Correra, and the Minster of Culture, Jair Perez, have resigned in protest, while Congressman Alex Flores (Peru Libre) has become a rising star in his party after filing a constitutional complaint against the Ministries of Defense and Interior for their roles in the massacre.

Boularte has pledged to hold elections no later than 2024, but that is not enough for the protesters, who want immediate elections, and many of whom want the return of Castillo to power.

It remains to be seen what this dynamic will do for Peru.

GM Team vote was unanimous
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies