Should a student who tells a classmate they will go to Hell face disciplinary action?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:42:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should a student who tells a classmate they will go to Hell face disciplinary action?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should a student who tells a classmate they will go to Hell face disciplinary action?
Yes, this constitutes harassment.

No, this would violate the student’s religion liberty.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Should a student who tells a classmate they will go to Hell face disciplinary action?  (Read 2202 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2022, 07:30:30 PM »

If it's repeated, yes, absolutely.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2022, 10:39:34 PM »

that wasn't the question asked.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2022, 08:10:45 AM »

no
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2022, 03:06:30 AM »

No.

Grow up.

Stop being whiny babies who have to tattle to the authorities whenever your oversensitive feelings are hurt!

We're talking about literal children here. I don't get it, do you think that bullying should be allowed in schools?

Yes. Bullying is a fact of life and it is useful for students to learn how to handle it independently.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/283042#-Victims-of-bullying-have-poorer-health,-lower-income,-lower-quality-of-life-as-adults-
The researchers found that, at age 50, participants who had been bullied when they were children were more likely to be in poorer physical and psychological health and have worse cognitive functioning than people who had not been bullied.
Shockingly, its not good for you to spend your childhood being harassed and abused while the adults who are supposed to protect you do nothing.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2022, 11:15:36 AM »

No.

Grow up.

Stop being whiny babies who have to tattle to the authorities whenever your oversensitive feelings are hurt!

We're talking about literal children here. I don't get it, do you think that bullying should be allowed in schools?

Yes. Bullying is a fact of life and it is useful for students to learn how to handle it independently.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/283042#-Victims-of-bullying-have-poorer-health,-lower-income,-lower-quality-of-life-as-adults-
The researchers found that, at age 50, participants who had been bullied when they were children were more likely to be in poorer physical and psychological health and have worse cognitive functioning than people who had not been bullied.
Shockingly, its not good for you to spend your childhood being harassed and abused while the adults who are supposed to protect you do nothing.

Correlation/causation problem. Schools in poorer communities are more likely to not care about bullying and not have the resources to intervene in these cases. Hence if you’re subjected to persistent bullying, you’re probably growing up in conditions that already disadvantage you socioeconomically.

But still, I do think persistent abuse should be stopped. The OP’s question doesn’t fall into that category though.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2022, 02:19:14 PM »

Correlation/causation problem. Schools in poorer communities are more likely to not care about bullying and not have the resources to intervene in these cases. Hence if you’re subjected to persistent bullying, you’re probably growing up in conditions that already disadvantage you socioeconomically.

Even when factors such as childhood IQ, emotional and behavioral problems, parents’ socioeconomic status and low parental involvement were taken into account, the association remained between bullying and negative social, physical and mental health outcomes.

But still, I do think persistent abuse should be stopped. The OP’s question doesn’t fall into that category though.
Define "persistent".

More importantly, growing up in an environment where antagonizing people for the sake of it isn't acceptable tends to make people a lot less keen on that kind of thing, and society being less tolerant of pointless dickery is obviously a good thing.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2022, 03:33:16 PM »

More importantly, growing up in an environment where antagonizing people for the sake of it isn't acceptable tends to make people a lot less keen on that kind of thing, and society being less tolerant of pointless dickery is obviously a good thing.

The thing is, bullying isn't done "just for the sake of it." It can be a valuable way to expunge antisocial behavior without resorting to parental/state intervention.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2022, 04:14:51 PM »

The thing is, bullying isn't done "just for the sake of it." It can be a valuable way to expunge antisocial behavior without resorting to parental/state intervention.

This is easily one of the stupidest things anyone has ever said on the entirety of Atlas. Top 5, easily.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2022, 05:12:11 PM »

Anyway saying "Go to Hell" in itself is not bullying so the answer is no but if its done repeatedly to one specific student than yes it could be in which case some disciplinary actions should be taken .
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2022, 05:33:11 PM »

This is easily one of the stupidest things anyone has ever said on the entirety of Atlas. Top 5, easily.

So if some middle schooler is LARPing as a Neo-Nazi or communist, you don’t think he should be mocked or ostracized? Interesting.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2022, 06:02:44 PM »

So if some middle schooler is LARPing as a Neo-Nazi or communist, you don’t think he should be mocked or ostracized? Interesting.

It doesn’t count as bullying if they deserve it.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2022, 07:16:51 PM »

The authority to make religious proclamations should be vested solely with the school's chaplain. (/s)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2022, 09:54:46 PM »

Actively harassing someone and not being friends with someone are two different things.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2022, 12:58:49 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2022, 01:03:25 AM by °°°°t »

It seems clear that some people believe that the majority of people* will be tortured forever. Also, if someone believes that he is not going to go hell, but another person is, simply for his different religion, that is the very definition of "holier than thou."

*Since the majority of people in the world are not Christians.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2022, 04:12:06 AM »

bullying(gerund or present participle)-seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable)

Nope, nothing in there about it not counting if they "deserve it".  You can certainly bully a bad person.  I've done it.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2022, 07:25:14 AM »

No. 
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2022, 01:15:34 PM »

bullying(gerund or present participle)-seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable)

Nope, nothing in there about it not counting if they "deserve it".  You can certainly bully a bad person.  I've done it.

Can confirm, did bully my high-school baseball teammates before as a way to demand accountability. “You keep your eyes glued on your phone and your a55 will stay glued to the pine”, “Dude you square up a grounder like a drunk 3rd grader”, or “Are you modeling your throwing motion after a Pokeball toss?” So on and so forth. Because if you can’t handle me demanding the best of you, how the phuck are you supposed to handle the other team in the playoffs?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2022, 10:17:58 PM »

So I guess that answers your poll question. If the judge of the universe is going to send them to the Bad Place, then clearly they deserve it.

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2022, 12:11:56 AM »

So I guess that answers your poll question. If the judge of the universe is going to send them to the Bad Place, then clearly they deserve it.

The Judge of the Universe being, of course, Ferguson, who divined the one true system of human morality in his high school philosophy class.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2022, 03:32:24 AM »

Others have made the point already, but there is no such place as 'Hell', so some random person telling me I'm going there would get nothing more than a shrug.  Or perhaps a retort that actually has a bit of wit and teeth to it, but alas I don't always have the spontaneous timing for such things.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies