Should a student who tells a classmate they will go to Hell face disciplinary action?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:01:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should a student who tells a classmate they will go to Hell face disciplinary action?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should a student who tells a classmate they will go to Hell face disciplinary action?
Yes, this constitutes harassment.

No, this would violate the student’s religion liberty.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Should a student who tells a classmate they will go to Hell face disciplinary action?  (Read 2223 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2022, 07:43:28 PM »

A student, unprompted, tells a classmate he will burn in hell for being a different religion/being irreligious.

Should this student be suspended for this harassment or would this violate his religion liberty?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 07:50:13 PM »

Maybe. Voted yes, though lesser disciplinary action would be more appropriate for a first-offense and a repeat-offense would likely more warrant a suspension.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 12:00:02 AM »

any response other to laugh at them for their ignorance is wrong.  If someone tells you that you are going to hell and you get upset, you are too fragile to live with the rest of us.  Especially if it was out of the blue.  Now, if it's a friend and you are having a proper conversation around the subject and they say it, I could see being a little offended that your friends is a jerk.

And another thing.  If you don't believe in "hell", how could this possibly bother you?  If you do believe in hell, you have an idea in your head of what the rules are that put you there (or keeps you out of it), and that's between you and whatever gate keeper you believe in.  The opinion on the subject by random classmate is meaningless.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 12:48:12 AM »

Penalizing things like this will just coddle the next generation and leave them unable to think of decent comebacks. The appropriate response to this is not to run to the teacher and whine. Rather, it is “Yes, I’m probably going to hell for sodomizing your mother out of wedlock.”
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 12:06:33 PM »

Yes.
The student who believes in hell has obviously been brainwashed and should be deprogrammed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 03:27:02 PM »

Yes.
The student who believes in hell has obviously been brainwashed and should be deprogrammed.
and they should get that deprogramming at school via some kind of punishment?

<looks at poll> I forget how authoritarian the left is here.  You guys are gross.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 08:07:35 AM »

Of course not. Why can't lefties learn to fight back without crying to authorities? If someone told me I was going to hell then I'd just say something really rude to that person and move on with my life. Why is that so impossible?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 09:28:26 AM »

Of course not. Why can't lefties learn to fight back without crying to authorities? If someone told me I was going to hell then I'd just say something really rude to that person and move on with my life. Why is that so impossible?

I have heard that, in other countries, being a leftist is not synonymous with being a wimp. Don't know why that's different here.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 11:08:37 AM »

No.

Grow up.

Stop being whiny babies who have to tattle to the authorities whenever your oversensitive feelings are hurt!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 08:15:37 PM »

My best friend in high school believed I would be going to hell but I pretty much didnt care. If you don't believe in the concept of hell why do you care so much
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 08:48:27 PM »

After seeing some of the best posters (who are also not very partisan) on this site set forth logical arguments against this, I'm against this now, too. Too bad I can't change my vote, but after seeing John Dule, dead0man (not somebody I typically really listen to or agree with always, but he gave a good argument here) and Dale Cooper and their posts against this policy, well, they've changed my mind.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 11:01:25 PM »

My best friend in high school believed I would be going to hell but I pretty much didnt care. If you don't believe in the concept of hell why do you care so much

Ferguson is talking about it being used in an active and charged way.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2022, 02:25:33 AM »

Violates free speech and I'm not a huge believer in disciplinary action for most things. Of course not. If you're policing this are you gonna police similarly constructed insults like "go to hell"?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2022, 05:31:50 AM »

how does that change anything?
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2022, 10:27:35 AM »

We should get religion out of our schools.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2022, 10:44:22 AM »

k, how does that change anything?

and again, I must ask, how could someone possibly be bothered by someone else telling them they will go to hell?  If you don't believe in it, it's no different than someone saying "you're going to Poopyhead Land when you die".  If you do believe in hell, you know the rules and whether or not you're going there.

When crazy people say crazy things, the best thing to do is ignore it.  The next best thing is to make fun of it.  Calling the authorities on them seems like it won't help anybody and is probably the second worst thing you can do (behind getting violent with them).
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2022, 10:44:40 AM »

That doesn't mean banning students from making religious statements.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 11:21:02 AM »

Well, if we have to get CRT out of our schools- and CRT means 'anything that makes people feel bad'- then we need to ban religion.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 11:24:01 AM »

Well, if we have to get CRT out of our schools- and CRT means 'anything that makes people feel bad'- then we need to ban religion.

But I don't want CRT out of our schools.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2022, 11:32:08 AM »

But I don't want CRT out of our schools.

It's GOP Logic.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2022, 11:39:52 AM »

No.

Grow up.

Stop being whiny babies who have to tattle to the authorities whenever your oversensitive feelings are hurt!

We're talking about literal children here. I don't get it, do you think that bullying should be allowed in schools?
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2022, 12:08:03 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2022, 12:56:47 PM by Marcus Aurelius »

No.

Grow up.

We're talking about literal children here. I don't get it, do you think that bullying should be allowed in schools?
I think that students should be allowed to express their religious beliefs without being punished for it. If you think that's bullying, that's your problem, not theirs.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2022, 12:17:05 PM »

No.

Grow up.

Yes. Bullying is a fact of life and it is useful for students to learn how to handle it independently.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2022, 03:23:39 PM »

No.

Grow up.

This you bro?

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=521415.0

All the worst people on the forum ganging up on Ishan again. How is this okay? I generally think the mods do a good job, but if I were in charge I would have banned CalamityBlue a long time ago and given his little clique a stern warning to behave.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2022, 06:05:23 PM »

No.

Grow up.

Bullying is more than a one-off comment though. Telling someone they're gonna go to hell once is a lot different than repeated daily harassment.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies