🇬🇧 Should the UK abolish monarchy now? 🚫👑 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:30:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  🇬🇧 Should the UK abolish monarchy now? 🚫👑 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you support the transition? (Are you from the UK?)
Yes. (yes)
Yes. (no)
No. (yes)
No. (no)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: 🇬🇧 Should the UK abolish monarchy now? 🚫👑  (Read 2597 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 08, 2022, 09:14:05 PM »

As much as I would want the UK (and the rest of the Commonwealth) to abolish the monarchy, I think abolishing so soon after the Queen's death would spark a ton of backlash and bad optics, and possibly become as much as a divisive mess as Brexit was for years after the referendum took place.

I think if the government and republican citizens want to end the monarchy, it's probably better to wait until the whole country's had time to grieve, the queen's funeral has taken place, and Charles has been on the throne for a little while. That way, it doesn't look like they were just waiting on the Queen to go before getting rid of the institution (even though the republican cause has been around for far longer than Elizabeth was Queen). Just my two cents, though.

This.  Though what I see more likely to happen is the continual diminishment of the Commonwealth as more and more former colonies follow Barbados' lead by cutting their last remaining ties to the monarchy and assume full, formal independence.  I also can see the former settler colonies of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand becoming republics.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 09:06:16 AM »

The United States having a Monarchy would be unthinkable, but in Europe, a system like the British is probably the best system at least as it pertains to having a non-political head of state. If one is worried about the expense, then trim some of the fat (which Charles wants to do anyway IIRC).

There have been times recently, where I wished we had a non-political head of state.

There was a time early on during the revolutionary period when this set-up was still possible had King George III accepted the Olive Branch Petition.  We would be more like Canada today had there been such a reconciliation between Britain and the American colonies.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies