UK General Discussion: Rishecession (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:28:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 224306 times)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« on: September 05, 2022, 04:44:52 PM »

Britain - the first country to voluntarily renounce it's status as a developed nation?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 06:41:45 AM »

Liz Truss has apparently been taking economics classes at the Nicolas Maduro school of magical thinking. Very good.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 12:02:42 PM »

Any other leader would be 20 points ahead by now. Smh.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 11:30:48 AM »

They used to talk about the red wall. Now they talk about the red four walls, floor and ceiling
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 07:20:55 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2022, 07:25:28 AM by parochial boy »

Well - it could be worse. At least we’ve disavowed Trussonomics as a country. Some people want to give it another try…

A massive unfunded energy subsidy is restrained spending, news to me!

Trussonomics is somewhere in between zombie-Reaganite voodoo economics and Peronism.

(key word being "zombie". Reaganomics can work very well when tax rates are high to begin with, like they were 40-50 years ago. It doesn't work when tax rates are low!)

As I have said repeatedly, she saw that one significant concession to public opinion (which is, lest we forget, *massively* hostile to right wing libertarianism) as a green light to go full Britannia Unchained everywhere else. This was never likely to work, even if the speed of its implosion still surprised.

I do hope you aren't doing the "*real* libertarianism has never been tried" schtick Wink

Indeed, worth noting that in fact the measures on corporation tax and the National Insurance cut were actually the most costly parts of the budget. Not the energy measures. So if you're looking for something that was "not funded", it was the massive bung that she had proposed to give to the wealthiest.

Of course, there is also an increasing wealth of evidence discrediting the idea that tax cuts lead to growth. Reaganism "worked" because it amounted to a fiscally expansionist package, which we know works. And which of course also led to the long term issues that we have experienced over the last decade, due to the tax cuts reducing the state's ability to invest in itself.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 09:48:49 AM »

Well - it could be worse. At least we’ve disavowed Trussonomics as a country. Some people want to give it another try…

A massive unfunded energy subsidy is restrained spending, news to me!

Trussonomics is somewhere in between zombie-Reaganite voodoo economics and Peronism.

(key word being "zombie". Reaganomics can work very well when tax rates are high to begin with, like they were 40-50 years ago. It doesn't work when tax rates are low!)

As I have said repeatedly, she saw that one significant concession to public opinion (which is, lest we forget, *massively* hostile to right wing libertarianism) as a green light to go full Britannia Unchained everywhere else. This was never likely to work, even if the speed of its implosion still surprised.

I do hope you aren't doing the "*real* libertarianism has never been tried" schtick Wink

Indeed, worth noting that in fact the measures on corporation tax and the National Insurance cut were actually the most costly parts of the budget. Not the energy measures. So if you're looking for something that was "not funded", it was the massive bung that she had proposed to give to the wealthiest.

Source for this? As far as I’ve read, all of the estimates for the energy price guarantee (in its initial form, as opposed to the truncated version announced by Hunt) had it costing more in the next year than all the tax cuts and cancelled tax rises put together. Not saying you’re wrong but would be interested to see the data.

Here, pg 25-26.

Though obviously not helpful in the way the energy bill was actually costed
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 10:36:25 AM »

Glad he’s going - but dispiriting that it took the threat of Johnson upstaging him to get Sunak to change his mind. It all feels like an unforced error - produced by an inflated fear of his own right-leaning MPs, much like the Braverman reappointment. Wonder whether it’s inexperience, or whether the ERG are making credible threats to kneecap his government, given how much leeway he’s given them.

Given the behavior of right-wing MPs so far, I'd say the fear is well justified. These people have shown they're fully willing to destroy the party to score factional gains.

Well seeing as destroying the Conservative party would be in the long term interest of the UK we should only wish them well in their endeavours.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 01:01:19 PM »

I guess there's a chance the public will reward the Conservatives for "taking the hard choices" as they've repeatedly told us was necessary.

That's a bit like if someone ran over your pet dog then took it the vet to be put down and then you gave them credit for "taking the hard choice" for you in your place.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies