UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:34:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 229
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 239410 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2022, 05:00:14 AM »

What’s you guys’ sense for conference season this year? The Lib Dems literally scheduled theirs for the date of the funeral, so it was always going to get canned, but the other parties haven’t discussed it yet (probably still too early to discuss without tabloids moaning about “playing politics”).

In theory, this is the opportunity for all the big players to make political hay - Starmer trying to define Truss before she can define herself, while bigging up his “Labour can be patriotic too” thing - I’m expecting a lot of flags. Truss has been denied her honeymoon, and can’t even tout her energy policy right now. The SNP have a theoretical referendum to start defining (quite possibly with a Supreme Court outcome to either bemoan or celebrate), which seems like something that would be telegraphed heavily at the October conference.

But the mood is still so weird, that it will be slightly jarring to go from the funeral to party-political fervour within a week. Part of me thinks that it might all still get reduced in scope, and there’s a chance conferences gets cancelled altogether if focus-groups/polling makes them jumpy about diving right back into adversarial politics etc etc.

Its going to be tricky of course, and a few will likely get the transition wrong, but personally I have to say I am already detecting a desire to get things a bit more back to "normal". It is notable how much criticism the decision to call off football matches last weekend got, for example.

(and as far as that is concerned, several other sports went ahead with maybe slight modifications)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #251 on: September 13, 2022, 05:57:02 AM »

They didn't say that tbf, rather that they would *only* report the weather.

(and not do their other usual social media stuff)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2022, 03:26:14 AM »

I hope after Charles had a very normal reaction to an exploding pen perhaps we look at a less daunting schedule for the next time this happens.

I know tradition, four nations etc but it would be a lot easier for the family if they weren’t made to go through this 5 day slog of sitting, standing and looking solemn.

They should be allowed some time alone to grieve before the very public funeral.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2022, 05:45:22 AM »

So what countries will be next to become Republics?
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2022, 06:05:24 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2022, 06:26:45 AM by Lord Halifax »

So what countries will be next to become Republics?

Antigua
Jamaica
Belize

those are the Commonwealth Realms where that are officially considering it and haven't put it on hold. Jamaica seems never to actually do anything about it, so maybe Belize will beat them to it.  

Then maybe Australia if Labor wins again, Albanese has postponed it to after the next election.

Then probably the rest of the Caribbean ones and the Bahamas within the next decade or so (c. 2025-35).

EDIT: Bougainville will gain independence in 2027 and will be a republic, so if you count new states it'll beat most of the others.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2022, 09:14:29 AM »

Yeah the fuss some are trying to make over the pen is ridiculous, if anything it humanises him.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #256 on: September 14, 2022, 10:03:41 AM »

Yeah the fuss some are trying to make over the pen is ridiculous, if anything it humanises him.

Also very funny seeing people express shock- he has always been like this!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #257 on: September 14, 2022, 01:59:40 PM »

He's - and I say this as an observation not as a slur, very much not - very clearly on the spectrum.
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #258 on: September 14, 2022, 02:08:25 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2022, 02:25:59 PM by TheTide »

He's - and I say this as an observation not as a slur, very much not - very clearly on the spectrum.

I've heard that more about his father than him, but yes I can see it. The aimless walking around after he had shook hands with the crowd the day after his mother's death for one thing.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #259 on: September 14, 2022, 02:20:08 PM »

I've heard that more about his father than him, but yes I can see it.

For entertainment value alone, I hope as King he turns out to have the mouth of his father.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #260 on: September 14, 2022, 02:22:32 PM »

A couple of pens from a dollar (or pound?) store probably would have worked much better for him.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2022, 09:04:13 AM »

Kwarteng apparently wants to lift the cap on bankers bonuses.

Good luck to Tory canvassers who have to explain that one on the fabled doorstep.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2022, 09:14:08 AM »

I've heard that more about his father than him, but yes I can see it.

For entertainment value alone, I hope as King he turns out to have the mouth of his father.

That would be Anne who has that- although she might have got it from her aunt Margaret too.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #263 on: September 15, 2022, 01:31:11 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2022, 01:36:16 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/rich-king-charles-iii-rest-125336923.html

As said previously, the Crown can get rid of homelessness across Cali and then some Jamaica and America deserve reparations that's why Ds  need to do well in these next two cycles to enshrine DC Statehood and Voting Rights and Reparations and Roe into LAW

I had an Irish friend whom lived in a Mansion in childhood he said his Pappas wealth came from Ireland, Pull yourself by bootstraps plse, inheritance wealth from Rome, Ireland and London look at FL those Sicilian mansions

Now we can have a discussion on reparations and you don't need to be a direct decendant we all have Creole, Nigerian or Jamaican in Blks, Light skinned means Creole and Dark skin means Jamaica

My sister is light skinned she took Creole and I am dark skinned Janaican, just like in Africa Light skinned means Ethiopian, Dark skinned means Nigerian
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #264 on: September 15, 2022, 04:32:57 PM »

I've always liked Charles, though I suppose I should be against the institution of the monarchy I still hope Charles is successful as king
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #265 on: September 15, 2022, 05:24:22 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2022, 05:29:04 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

I've always liked Charles, though I suppose I should be against the institution of the monarchy I still hope Charles is successful as king

We must see what it is it's inheritance wealth like Trump is it's not Democracy but the Crown did get rid of slavery and are pro Environment, they are the present day Whigs because they are conservative but they are pro Environment, they Crown and Queen Victoria got rid of slavery and was close to Lady Lincoln because they wanted to make the Federal Govt and Crts stronger and Judicial Review enhanced the Federal Government , Judicial Restraint Pro Apartheid enhanced the state Govt Articles of Confederation didn't work so the Crown and Republican had to get rid of slavery, Queen Victoria got rid of slavery, but it's still inheritance weakth

It's okay to mourn to Queen for 3 days but as a D I don't have to mourn her anymore  they owe blacks for Reparations for colonialzing Africa Roots and Shaka Zulu and they will pay Reparations is making it's way in case we get Filibuster proof Majority in 22/24

The Diamond she wears is from South Africa and India
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2022, 06:04:46 PM »

What I found funny was how calm Camilla was while Charles was just freaking out about the pen. She calmly asked for another pen and more calmly signed the book. My view of her is changing a lot. About King Charles' fuss, well, he's under a lot of pressure, a lot of engagements plus he just lost his mother. It's not an easy moment. Adding that he knows that the public has strong doubts about him, and that he needs to prove he's up for the job. It's a lot over his shoulders.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2022, 07:22:17 PM »

Interesting and pretty funny article I thought and one piece that stuck out to me,

But there is also something more sinister brewing here. Hospital appointments on the day of the queen’s funeral are cancelled. Food banks are closed. Normal people’s funerals are also cancelled. On the day the queen died, Liz Truss, our new prime minister, quietly lifted the ban on fracking in this country and also announced a plan to relieve Britons of crippling energy bills this winter without explaining where that money is going to come from. I’m not suggesting that anybody offed the queen early for political expediency, but parliament will now be closed for a month: again, to respect the dead queen.

Yeahhh. All of this, despite the genuine affection I realize many people (hell, even myself as an American) had for Lizzie really stinks of the archaic energy of monarchy. But I digress.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #268 on: September 16, 2022, 06:45:27 AM »

Parliament is now going to be sitting for most of next week, so at least common sense has prevailed there - and after that the Labour and Tory conferences are both going ahead.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #269 on: September 16, 2022, 09:42:21 AM »

It’s drifted past but has anyone noticed how bad some of the new ministerial teams are?

Education features a man who led a campaign against naughty stickers in phoneboxes with his junior ministers including an MP who gave the public the finger, another who went on a rant about dog leads and another who celebrated roe being repealed.

People are in ministerial jobs who weren’t even trusted by Boris.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #270 on: September 16, 2022, 09:54:15 AM »

Interesting and pretty funny article I thought and one piece that stuck out to me,

But there is also something more sinister brewing here. Hospital appointments on the day of the queen’s funeral are cancelled. Food banks are closed. Normal people’s funerals are also cancelled. On the day the queen died, Liz Truss, our new prime minister, quietly lifted the ban on fracking in this country and also announced a plan to relieve Britons of crippling energy bills this winter without explaining where that money is going to come from. I’m not suggesting that anybody offed the queen early for political expediency, but parliament will now be closed for a month: again, to respect the dead queen.

Yeahhh. All of this, despite the genuine affection I realize many people (hell, even myself as an American) had for Lizzie really stinks of the archaic energy of monarchy. But I digress.

The important thing to note is that these decisions were taken by the government, not by the King or even 'the Palace'. Rather amusingly it has already been briefed that he does not approve of everyone going full Stop All The Clocks over his mother's death and that the decision to call a Bank Holiday at very short notice (which has caused the largest amount of disruption, particularly in the health service)* was entirely down to the government - which, of course, it has to have been. It is certainly possible that a new administration is trying (rather ineptly and it would seem not particularly successfully) to use the Queen's death and funeral for political ends, but that would not be on the monarchy itself, either as an institution or as a general principle.

N.B. on fracking we can be... aha... reasonably sure that our new monarch is not a massive fan. Not that he can do anything other than complain in private, but it means that joining the dots, again, leads to political decisions by the elected government, not the institution of the monarchy (whatever you think of it).

*The easier way to avoid this situation would have been to have the funeral on a Saturday, as was actually done the last time we had a State Funeral in Britain (Churchill in 1965), the last time we had a public funeral as major as this one (Diana in 1997), and the last time we had a funeral for a senior member of the Royal Family (Prince Philip last year). Curious.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #271 on: September 16, 2022, 10:04:18 AM »

The important thing to note is that these decisions were taken by the government, not by the King or even 'the Palace'. Rather amusingly it has already been briefed that he does not approve of everyone going full Stop All The Clocks over his mother's death and that the decision to call a Bank Holiday at very short notice (which has caused the largest amount of disruption, particularly in the health service)* was entirely down to the government - which, of course, it has to have been. It is certainly possible that a new administration is trying (rather ineptly and it would seem not particularly successfully) to use the Queen's death and funeral for political ends, but that would not be on the monarchy itself, either as an institution or as a general principle.

N.B. on fracking we can be... aha... reasonably sure that our new monarch is not a massive fan. Not that he can do anything other than complain in private, but it means that joining the dots, again, leads to political decisions by the elected government, not the institution of the monarchy (whatever you think of it).

Again, there's nothing but long-standing convention keeping King Charles from expressing his political opinions. The guy pays all the taxes he's legally required to, why shouldn't he express his opinions on subjects he cares about?
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #272 on: September 16, 2022, 10:11:31 AM »

Again, there's nothing but long-standing convention keeping King Charles from expressing his political opinions. The guy pays all the taxes he's legally required to, why shouldn't he express his opinions on subjects he cares about?

I rather think that not expressing their opinions on matters is a detriment to the popularity of European Royalty. If King Charles actively engaged in promoting good things such as environmental protections and so forth, on issues he has a passion for, and actively engaged in keeping His Government's feet to the fire, the public would, I think, thank him for it.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2022, 11:24:03 AM »

Well yes but consider those of us who’d have to listen to his views on town planning!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #274 on: September 16, 2022, 11:34:35 AM »

The problem is that having public p political views very quickly devolves into the Monarch picking sides when a Government is being formulated- it’s worth remembering George V played a huge role in creating the National Government in the 1930s.

The powers we give to the Monarch are so vast- the ability to dissolve Parliament, dismiss Ministers, appoint virtually every senior official and command the armed forces, that we really don’t want them engaged in a political battle with the Government especially when 50% of the time it would be with a Labour Government.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 229  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies