UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:41:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 228
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 235980 times)
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: September 08, 2022, 11:03:16 PM »

Can anyone tell me *why* Charles should/must go by something else? I really have no clue about British monarchal politics or procedures or protocols, so what's the deal with this? Why can't he just call himself 'King Charles?'

Charles I was a tyrant and Charles II was a womanizer. Plus, wouldn't it be cool to have an actual King Arthur?

I get why he's just going with Charles though, it'd be odd to change your name when you're 73 years old.

Not sure what the problem is then...

Honestly, it's pretty fitting given King Chuck's history.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #201 on: September 08, 2022, 11:33:36 PM »

Can anyone tell me *why* Charles should/must go by something else? I really have no clue about British monarchal politics or procedures or protocols, so what's the deal with this? Why can't he just call himself 'King Charles?'

Charles I was a tyrant and Charles II was a womanizer. Plus, wouldn't it be cool to have an actual King Arthur?

I get why he's just going with Charles though, it'd be odd to change your name when you're 73 years old.

Not sure what the problem is then...

Honestly, it's pretty fitting given King Chuck's history.

That was the joke…figured it’d be self-explanatory.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #202 on: September 08, 2022, 11:41:42 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2022, 12:44:45 AM by Joe Republic »

Nearly all kings/queens have gone by their own first name, but not quite all.  Both Edward VII's and George VI's first names were Albert, but they chose to use one of their middle names as king because (in Edward's opinion) the name Albert "should stand alone" out of respect for his father, and George VI followed that precedent.  Technically Victoria's first name was Alexandrina, but she had gone by Victoria throughout her childhood.

So the option to take another name is always there, but rarely used.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2022, 04:35:01 AM »

I do find it odd that the showrunners would choose to have the Queen die just as the "PM Truss" story arc gets going. I wonder if it is a sign that they don't expect Liz Truss to improve ratings and so have opted for something "bigger" to improve viewership.

The story arcs and angles have been becoming increasingly far-fetched and confusing since the debut of Tory Time in 2010 but this takes the cake. Hopes were high after the 2019 season that programming would return to normality but that clearly didn't happen.

The showrunners have indicated that the show will remain on the air until at least 2024, which leaves two more seasons, but after the 2024 season with its general election storyline, there will be calls to cancel the show. A sequel named Labour Land could then potentially take its place and boost viewership.

I personally think they went a little overboard with Suella Braverman. Like I get they needed new subplots, but it seems like the showrunners at Langley just went with the most cartoonishly evil character they could come up with.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2022, 04:36:58 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2022, 04:40:35 AM by NUPES Enjoyer »

Thank God we didn't get another George. This is such an overused regal name and as a product of the travesty that was the Hanoverian succession it really doesn't deserve that honor. Hopefully the British monarchy will end with either a King Charles or a King William - both would be excellent historical rhymes in their own ways.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2022, 05:09:25 AM »

Charles isn't any more 'tainted' as a name than George - the last two Georges would generally be seen to have been alright, but none of the four previous ones would exactly be seen as setting particularly auspicious examples, if for different reasons. The main reason why it wasn't chosen as a name for a long time was because it was associated with the Jacobite cause, but that's an extremely distant memory now. The one name that is essentially forbidden is Arthur, and that's for (rationally?) superstitious reasons as Prince Arthurs have a habit of dying young.
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2022, 05:49:08 AM »

If you want to see what Boris Johnson would have said in an address to the nation if he had still been PM then, er, look at the tribute he's put out whilst not being PM.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2022, 06:12:22 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2022, 07:07:04 AM by CumbrianLefty »

If you want to see what Boris Johnson would have said in an address to the nation if he had still been PM then, er, look at the tribute he's put out whilst not being PM.

His just missing out on the chance to self-aggrandize is simply so utterly glorious, maybe the best thing in all this.

I hope he is seething constantly.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2022, 06:22:15 AM »

His just missing out on this chance to self-aggrandize is simply so utterly glorious, maybe the best thing in all this.

I hope he is seething constantly.

If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2022, 06:55:28 AM »

"Liz was a great supine protoplasmic invertebrate jelly whose righteousness glistened like a wet otter. The Tories' great victories in the past four elections made her breasts bigger and extended her lifespan by at least six years. Our rivers are full of jellied eels. You cannot have freedom without kleptocracy. Read Seventy-two Virgins."
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #210 on: September 09, 2022, 09:35:48 AM »

Charles isn't any more 'tainted' as a name than George - the last two Georges would generally be seen to have been alright, but none of the four previous ones would exactly be seen as setting particularly auspicious examples, if for different reasons. The main reason why it wasn't chosen as a name for a long time was because it was associated with the Jacobite cause, but that's an extremely distant memory now. The one name that is essentially forbidden is Arthur, and that's for (rationally?) superstitious reasons as Prince Arthurs have a habit of dying young.

Also John, partially due to the terrible performance of the only previous one, and partially for the same reason as Arthur.

I don't think James has been used since the 17th century, for the same reasons as Charles, but like with Charles I don't think it would cause a stir now. For some reason Robert, though a very popular name amongst the Stuarts prior to Unification, never seems to have been used after 1603.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #211 on: September 09, 2022, 09:42:04 AM »

I also think with the way of the royal family now and how their profile has changed that it’s less likely for name changes bar a sudden set of deaths and upheaval (see the death of George V and the Abdication)
LBJer
« Reply #212 on: September 09, 2022, 10:30:09 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2022, 10:33:19 AM by LBJer »

Charles I was a tyrant and Charles II was a womanizer.

But isn't Charles II (although not Charles I) pretty highly regarded today?

Ronald Hutton had this to say about him: "Other kings had inspired more respect, but perhaps only Henry VIII had endeared himself to the popular imagination as much as this one. He was the playboy monarch, naughty but nice, the hero of all who prized urbanity, tolerance, good humour, and the pursuit of pleasure above the more earnest, sober, or material virtues."

One could do a lot worse than that. 
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #213 on: September 09, 2022, 11:34:02 AM »

I'm glad his sticking with Charles, these kind of superstitions surrounding names are dumb and I hope King Charlie can dispel any ideas of "Charles" being unlucky
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #214 on: September 09, 2022, 12:05:56 PM »

His speech is very Charles.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #215 on: September 09, 2022, 12:11:55 PM »

He says "mama" and "papa" in his speech.
Nice.
I liked it.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #216 on: September 09, 2022, 12:49:29 PM »

Not that that was necessarily a bad thing in the circumstances, mind. Its more human touch made for a nice contrast to our robotic Prime Minister’s remarks.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2022, 01:47:38 PM »

Also John, partially due to the terrible performance of the only previous one, and partially for the same reason as Arthur.

Stephen as well, potentially?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #218 on: September 09, 2022, 01:59:40 PM »

"Over here, just behind the camera, you'll see my son William, who at this rate will be your 3rd Monarch by this time tomorrow:"

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #219 on: September 09, 2022, 03:07:11 PM »

I was starting to tear up at the end.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #220 on: September 09, 2022, 03:26:32 PM »

Stephen as well, potentially?

Seems likely that we're going to go a full millennium without a new Stephen or a new Matilda.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #221 on: September 09, 2022, 03:45:18 PM »

It feels like the Tony Blair Power Hour on the BBC right now.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #222 on: September 09, 2022, 05:47:16 PM »

Spanish journalism has amazing pundits...

What lies ahead, what kind of reign can we expect right now with Carlos III on the throne?

The first thing we can expect is a shorter reign than his mother's.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2022, 06:07:33 PM »

I’ve not tended to find Charles much of an impressive figure in the past, but I thought he (and the Palace team) did an admirable job, broadly hitting the right notes in his speech. It was certainly more emotional than the speeches QE2 gave, but it fit the mood.

I mean, he led off with a tribute to QE2, reiterated the importance of service and the Commonwealth, and then implied he’d do his best to step back from political advocacy (which will assuage some concerns).

Refusing to wait the traditional period, and just naming William as Prince of Wales now gets rid of a lot of pointless media speculation, and helps reinforce the transition (it certainly gave me slight vertigo for a moment). Seems like a good call.

Explicitly celebrating Harry and Meghan feels like the best way to avoid those circumstances getting another round of speculation (“King snubs Harry by leaving him out of first speech!” is a headline they did well to avoid).

He does kinda talk about Camilla like she’s going to be our fun new stepmother, but that’s just a longstanding Charles thing.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #224 on: September 10, 2022, 03:49:41 AM »

I’ve not tended to find Charles much of an impressive figure in the past, but I thought he (and the Palace team) did an admirable job, broadly hitting the right notes in his speech. It was certainly more emotional than the speeches QE2 gave, but it fit the mood.

I mean, he led off with a tribute to QE2, reiterated the importance of service and the Commonwealth, and then implied he’d do his best to step back from political advocacy (which will assuage some concerns).

Refusing to wait the traditional period, and just naming William as Prince of Wales now gets rid of a lot of pointless media speculation, and helps reinforce the transition (it certainly gave me slight vertigo for a moment). Seems like a good call.

Explicitly celebrating Harry and Meghan feels like the best way to avoid those circumstances getting another round of speculation (“King snubs Harry by leaving him out of first speech!” is a headline they did well to avoid).

He does kinda talk about Camilla like she’s going to be our fun new stepmother, but that’s just a longstanding Charles thing.

I think the acknowledgement of Harry and Meghan is a 'shut up now' to the press. Even though there is allegedly genuine strain between him and the King, I don't think he's one for the constant right wing gossip around them.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 228  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies